1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the new AMA really better?

Discussion in 'General' started by fullmetalF4i, May 3, 2011.

1. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Just browsed the results from the testing at Miller yesterday and thought
    "Theres still a really big gap between the haves and the have nots"
    I mean I know Josh Hayes is probably the only guy in the padock that could have given Ben and Mladin any kind of company like Hacker did his final SB year, but take Toye, who is very good but down the time sheets
    Aside from removing Honda and Kawi as big time players how has the playing field been leveled?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some people who were have nots are now haves if that counts :D

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

great, close racing...what more can you ask for? (well except more sponsors...so the great riders on the sidelines can show us even more great, close racing)

4. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Superbike isn't really close racing.
    Sportbike is good stuff though.

5. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I bet the available money, or lack thereof in this case, has more to do with anything. There would probably be more haves if there was more free flowing money around. The big teams will always have money to throw at their programs, where everyone else gets pinched.

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Josh is just better.

Same as Mat and Ben. Remember when it had to be the Yosh bikes and that's the reason they won everything? Then, Ben went to WSBK and proved otherwise.

The racing has been great in SS and DSB. Racing has been good in SBK, and the only reason it isn't better is because Josh has really stepped it up. Not his fault.

7. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

is it the AMA's fault the have nots are have nots and not haves?

8. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

live timing is up now, i see steve rapp on a bmw!

9. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Whomever decided it would be a good idea to wait 2 months between events is a dumbass.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one decided that. Even the AMA has to work around the schedules the tracks have. With the weather the way it's been they're actually damned lucky they did this year, we've been getting killed by mother nature.

11. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

My personal opinion, the spec stuff hurt sponsorship. I understand the reasoning behind spec fuel and tires, but I think things were better when there were mulitple tire vendors at the AMA races. I dont know how fuel vendors worked when everyone was running VP, but you know the tire companies here in the US took a beating not having a stake in pro racing.

12. BigHeadzDC

I disagree Sean. It's not like they didn't know a long time ago that Fontana was off the calendar. Were it me, I'd have tried to keep the momentum going after the great racing they had at Daytona.

13. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

You must be looking at a different time sheet than I am.

14. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

My plan would have been to bid out each class to the tire companies. That would encourage each to bring their best and fill the padock with a few more comercial operations for the spectators to take in.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes they knew. How would that change anything? They can only get certain days from the tracks same as any other organization outside of NASCAR level money. The tracks know their customers, their area and other events in the area, they know their weather chances - and they then give the AMA possible dates. The AMA isn't some sort of powerful organization that can pick and choose as they will no matter what people may think.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tire companies wouldn't do one class.

17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The two fastest guys in DSB are on non-factory supported teams. That would never happen in the days of rocket fuel and special tires...

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Whoever. ;)

19. BigHeadzDC

Pfft.. LOL.

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

:stupid: and :Off:
    I've helped WERA in a negative way because of the weather. It's killed my racing so far this year. I've worked 66 hrs. the past month...Should be closer to 200.