Need fuel pump for '97 YZF 750r

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by bandit ftw, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

Hey, new to the forums. I bought a 97 yzf 750 off of a buddy of mine in Feb. and got a great deal on it. Only has 3,900 original miles and it's never been wrecked or laid down, raced or anything. Bike wasn't running at the time, but only gave 750 for it, so figured no problem, just go through the fuel system, and buy a new battery to get it running. Little did I know these things have a fuel pump in the tank, and this bike sat off and on for about six years. Tank was all rusted inside, got it professionally cleaned, but the shop told me that the pump was probably toast. I had them test it after the carbs and everything was cleaned, and yep it's toast. I need to get ahold of one, and they're like 900.00 new! If anyone has one of these in good order I'd sure like to buy it off of you, or if you know of a shop or site where I can get one (ebay isnt helping) I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. RdRcr150

RdRcr150 Well-Known Member

I had the same issue on my 600. I gutted the tank, bought a fuel pump for a Suzuki 1400 and remote mounted it under the tank. It works great. $20 for pump $5 shipping off Ebay. If you want I'll take a couple of pictures while I have the tank off setting up my 33mm flatslides I just purchased.

3. RdRcr150

PS The pump is on my avatar picture bike.

4. RdRcr150

Here is a pic of pump

Attached Files:

5. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

Hey thanks for the reply. I would still really like to get my hands on a used one for my bike. However, a couple quick questions: What is the pressure output on these yzf 750 fuel pumps? ALso what year of suzuki 1400 should i try to get a fuel pump for? I was told on another site to use a fzr 1000, or yzf 1000, or zx6/zx7 pump, but can't confirm this. Also, what did you do about the gaping hole in the bottom of the tank if you take out the original pump? I don't have the money or personal know how to start welding and cutting on a gas tank. On the yamaha forum site, a guy said to just leave the original in place, and remove the rubber tube on the original pump. Not sure if that is the correct way to go about it. Needless to say I would just love to get my hands on an actual pump for my bike. PLZ if anyone has a used one in good working order, pm me and we'll talk turkey.

6. RdRcr150

Almost any fuel pump will work. I got what I got because it was cheap. As for the gaping hole, the internal pump is removed and the plate put back on without it. The petcock is vacuum operated and just connect the fuel line to the petcock and run to in side of pump and out side to carbs. Japanese fuel pumps have internal pressure cutoffs, so when the pressure builds up it shuts off until a pressure drop occurs. On the parts fiche remove parts 22 & 23.

7. RdRcr150

You could also use one off any year FZR 600.

8. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Doesnt the oem YZF pump cost about $400? Seems the reason why I chose to pass on an Airtech carbon tank for the FZR400 years ago.

9. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

A used version runs 400. A new one costs around 900.00. Freaking insane if you ask me...

10. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

Hey, RdRcr150, won't this make the fuel gauge inoperable? I would like to be able to have a functioning fuel gauge when I'm done, as I'm not racing. Also won't there be wiring issues, as most of the yzf and fzr, zx6/zx7 pumps have two wires, and mine has three? If you could write me back and let me know how you overcame these issues I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

11. RdRcr150

Mine is a race bike, hence no fuel gauge. Two of your wires are for power the third is the sender for the gauge. Maybe you could remove everything but the fuel float and not use the two power wires. I will look in the service manual and see if thats possible. On Ebay there are several fuel pumps that would work from $40 to $150.

12. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

Just get a generic $100 Walbro that runs 4-7 psi and be done with it.

13. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

I can get a basic pump for less than that. The point is that I want the fuel gauge and everything else on the bike to work. Surely there is someone with one of these pumps, that needs money... right?

14. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Does the pump work on points ala the Mitsu pumps that come on F3s?

15. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

not sure ill try and find out, bump for a fuel pump.

16. omnivore

If it's the same as a Thundercat, I have one.
    My YZF600 has no fuel gauge, but it's a Fox Eye......the Thundercat had a different fuel pump. I have the whole sending unit inside a Thundercat tank.

17. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

pretty sure it's different than the thundercat pump. I think those are external pumps. Bump for a yzf 750 fuel pump.

18. omnivore

You're right..I cross referenced it with fiche, and it is different than T-Cat stuff. Too bad cuz the T-Cat stuff is cheap. But it is however, the same as YZF600R foxeye pump. (94-96)

I only have one, the one in my bike. If I had a spare.....

19. bandit ftw

bandit ftw Member

No prob omnivore, but thanks for checking. I'll keep looking, bound to be someone who has one of these fuel pumps for the yzf.

20. omnivore

I have found a "good deal" on new OEM at $718!! Eek!