1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any construction guys out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Oyama, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Oyama

Oyama Well-Known Member

Hey guys so im graduating from Colorado State University here in a couple weeks and am having a hell of a time trying to find a Project/Field Engineering position. Just thought id reach out in the community and see if anyone may know of any positions out there.

Thanks

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Construction jobs?

Down here you'd do better picking up cans... sorry. Sucks but true.

3. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I agree, three of the best jobsite superintendents I ever worked with on multi-million dollar, highly complex state construction projects are each out of a job right now.

Best bet is to find ANY job while still looking for the one you want. You'll be in a better position than most as you're cheap and teachable. Just look for a construction company doing anything big in your area and ask to speak with the jobsite foreman.

You might be rolling a wheelbarrow around for a bit but it gets your foot in the door. AND it'll get you respect from the laborers when you're finally in a managerial position.

4. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I haven't had a steady paycheck in almost three years.

5. MikeM1

MikeM1 Well-Known Member

While things are slowly getting better, the construction industry is still pretty slow. Don't get too picky, any work is better than no work.

6. 09bamaR6

09bamaR6 Well-Known Member

Might want to try out of country work...seriously.

Construction down here is at least steady but still hard to find work.

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Same story here in the Midwest. If you have a job it's a blessing. Good luck, it looks to be a long road for us construction folk.

8. mkvamso

mkvamso Fall Risk

Just gave up on construction myself
    My old boss is doing pretty good now but without a steady paycheck for close to a year i couldnt do it anymore
    I worked for the company for around six years and it steadily got worse, i guess it just started picking back up down here.

My dad owns a building company for residential amd small commercial buildings and he travels all over the country now instead of staying in nw arkansas. Mostly remodels for warehouses and factories, no new construction to speak of

Good luck finding something

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  9. Oyama

Oyama Well-Known Member

Lol geez those are some depressing replies! Thanks for the advice tho guys wish me luck im hoping to talk to the right person at the right time and land something. Maybe ill just stay in school and get a double major... find the major with the most women in it enjoy the scenery

10. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

If you have steady work right now, consider it a blessing, we seem to be lucky in this local, but that may not last.

Word of advise, as someone mentioned, take any position you can to get experience, dont think that a degree is experience, all it is to most employers is a paper that proves you have the dedication to pay for school and make it to class. Learn what its like to be a grunt see things from the bottom, it can only add to your resume and help your management skills. Respect is hard to earn especially in this field.

11. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

psychology

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

This isn't AshleyMadison.com. Hit the bricks.

13. Wibbly

Wibbly Well-Known Member

come to alberta.

14. Macon663

Macon663 Well-Known Member

Come to DC, things are picking up again.

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You might think that, then somebody asks for a ride to Putnam...

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap. If you can get a security clearence and don't mind travel, that's where the real bucks are. You can learn the jobsite and apply it as you move up to Super or eventually PM.

17. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

:stupid: that's true pretty much everywhere. Seasoned pros are having a hard time finding work, much less college grads without experience. Good luck!

18. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

good luck

I am in the construction industry but on the sales side of it for a construction tool/supply company

business could be better and it is a tough industry now more than ever

19. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have a problem with people looking for or advertising for jobs in General.