1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I failed my motorcycle endorsement test...

Discussion in 'General' started by Skits, Apr 22, 2011.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I failed the New Jersey cone test twice because my ZX-7 could not physically perform it without backing up some between the cones. It didn't matter if you were riding it or pushing it, it just could not be done. The second time, I actually stopped and balanced the bike on its wheels without putting my feet down and looked over at the tester to show him I could obviously handle the damn thing.

Third time around, I came back with a rented 50cc scooter from a nearby dealership.

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I failed mine the first time because when I came to a stop at a stop sign, I only put one foot down instead of both...:rolleyes:

Because the book said so...:eek: was the instructors reasoning

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I did the MSF course and didn't have to take no stinkin riding test.

4. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

When I showed up to test in IL. on my trusty old beat up CBR600 Hurricane, long time ago now, the guy pretty much told me not to bother because nobody had ever managed to navigate the cones on a sport bike. He said I should borrow a dirt bike and come back. Now, I had gotten there 30 minutes before they opened at 7:00 am just to be able to take this f#$king test so I politely asked him to let me try. He wasn't interested, said it was a waste of time.

After 5 minutes of arguing he finally let me took the test, and I aced it. Have to admit, it was difficult but I had already been on the course and practiced with my own cones so I knew it could be done.

To the guy's credit, he came over and shook my hand and told me I was the first guy he'd seen on a sport bike who passed the course.

If I had to do it again, MSF course fo' sho'.

5. T.Read

T.Read Well-Known Member

I never made it past the written test. They had some of the stupidest questions on there that were so obviously wrong in common sense terms. Apparently the Nashville riding test is to drive down the end of the parking lot, turn around and come back...that's it. I figure I'll just take the advanced MSF given at the local tech college. I think it's $85 and one day and you have a license and discounted insurance. Of course, I need a street bike first.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

happened to me when I transferred my NJ license to a FL one. Good thing I had a back up license to show the judge...who then said to me "Young man... you will have to get by with 1 state driver license now. Which would you like it to be?"

7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

WHAT????????????? MSF taught me to keep right foot on peg covering rear brake and only put left foot down. Shit I'm 6'2" and a bike like a KLR, I couldnt put both feet down

8. Jeff B

Jeff B Member

suck it up
    It's the state after-all
    what did you expect?
    Sanity?
    Re-take it in another town
    Tell your tester what an A$$hat the last guy was.
    Let us know how that works f'r you.

9. cgordon3

Got mine in 92-93 I think. Don't remember for sure.

10. cgordon3

I used the one foot over the brake argument too.

Did no good. Rode the bike home...:D

Came back next day. Same lady, same test. Passed with flying colors...:rolleyes:

Just have to roll with the system sometimes.

11. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Alabama has no riding test, only written.

12. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

The good part is the written is over and done with, and the test itself only takes about 20 minutes. Its just a PITA to take off work and drive across town to take care of it.

Oh, and I love the "suck it up" and "victim" posts. You guys are so hard core. This whole time I was so despondent that I was just going to give up motorcycles and buy a Civic, but you've given me that needed kick in the ass to go take the test again. :up:

I think the next time my wife ignores my romantic advances, I'll post up on here. You two can give me a "buck-up little camper" talk and maybe keep me from giving up and going all Liberace.

13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Liberace rode a bike, his name was Valentino :)

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Apparently his real name was Scott.

15. jiffyzx6

jiffyzx6 Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience. was told that no sport bike has passed and wasn't worth the time, argued, finally was able to take the test (which is bull shit anyway) passed everything except when I had to take off from a stop, pick my feet up, stop in a tiny box then make a u turn he failed me because I didn't put my feet down when i stopped to make the u turn... I have more control over a bike at 0 mph than most of the riders on the road at any mph but I guess it wasn't good enough... never went back, still don't have a motorcycle licence and just converted her into track only.

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Myself, my good friend and another rider took the Texas m/c test on the first day it was required in about 1967. My friend and I were riding Yamaha 125 enduros and the third guy was riding a full dress Harley. The parking lot part of the riding test included 5 pair of cones 3 feet apart, 10 feet between pairs.

The object was to zig zag between each pair up, do a u turn and come back stopping with our front tire on a white line. The 125s did it just fine. The Harley started taking out cones on the third pair. As with Papa, the bike simply would not physically make a turn that short.

After about 90 days the test was reconfigured. Seems the first one was designed by a Traffic Engineering student at Texas A & M that had never ridden a motorcycle in his life. :rolleyes:

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Ours had a portion were you speed up to 25mph pass over a line and hit the brakes. They measure the distance it takes you to stop. The lady made me do it a few times because she said I stoped too fast to get a good measurement. :D

18. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

It's a driving test. Think lowest common denominator of skill and try to think of yourself as a nervous 15 year old instead of a experienced person with built in bad habits.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My son failed his the first time because he had his visor up (it was 100F in the shade). If he had his sunglasses on he would have passed. The joke is, PA is a no helmet state! Anyways, I was OK with it as it never hurts to knock a 16 yr old down a peg. :)

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When I took mine (back in 1983) I went in to the State Police barracks with a bunch of 16 year olds...Being 30+ at the time, the sargent on duty put the whole class on hold and gave me personnal attention! The class of teenagers had to cool their jets while the "old man" took his test. Dirty looks were given freely. :0:)