Wineslut

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by rus23, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rus23

rus23 Misfit

If you are not watching James Mays road trip, you should be.

What wine to have with spam and beans....

2. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

Well looks like a bunch of us missed it. What wine does go with spam and beans? Or spam w no beans, or beans w no spam, and are those black, red, kidney, pinto, lima, green, navy or mexican jumping beans?

3. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

4. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Muscat? Something sweet to go with greasy pork product? Kinda like chinese food.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That was a great show. Turns out spam and beans makes any wine taste better :D

The beans were the pork and variety rather than a fancier style bean.

6. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Depends on how the beans are cooked. If they're sweet (molasses brwn sug etc..) I'd go with Sweeter wines...Muscat, Rielsing, Gewurtaminer. If they're seavory, I'd pair to the Pig wich means Pinot Noir. If theyre spicy, I'd go with something sweet, but crisp...Moscato D'Asti is great with spicy things. James May is a cool dude....

7. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Wife and I are heading to Willow via Napa next weekend. Any rec's what we should taste (besides the obvious)? Not sure we'll be eating beans and Spam though. Reds.

8. RZ Racer

Steltzner and Reynolds Family Winery are both on Silverado trail and both have great tours. Both are happy to take walk ins. Personally, I'd stay off rt 29 and just hit wineries on Silverado trail. (Plenty of others...Cliff Lede, Stags Leap Cellars, Darioushe....)

Time Warner on Demand has all of the James May shows, so I watched the 1st one last night. Fun! Oz seems to be a bit of a douche, but that comes with the territory....:p I've been to one of the Chateaus they visited in Bordeaux.

9. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice, there are so many it is hard to choose. I think we will hit a few of the big ones that are favorites, and then go over to Silverado Trail. We are probably going to rent bicycles, for part of the stay, and ride around, too, if it is warm.

How is the RZ working out for you? who did you sell your 400 to?

10. RZ Racer

After all the commotion I stirred up about rz's, I'm embaressed to say that I ended up not being able to come up with enough $$$ and had to fall back on another year on the rd. As I had already sold my 400 I ended up trading my street rz to John Stauber for my old 400. (I campaigned in '00 and '01) I'm dissapointed not to be racing an rz, but am happy to have my old bike back!

I'm starting now on an rz project for 2012. I already have a lot of the stuff I need (suspension, wheels, carbs, pvl, pipes and bodywork) but it will take some time and $$$ to get it all together. (not to mention that fact that I don't have a motor or frame!) I've never actually built my own racebike from scratch, so am looking forward to the challenge and the journey...