1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips?

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett93, Mar 28, 2011.

1. rhett93

rhett93 Member

??

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quite simply you're 17 and delusional. Not in a bad way and I admire you trying to get more information but quite simply people do not give money to someone without something in return. RIght now you have nothing to show what if any potential you have on a racebike. Everyone thinks they're fast - then they actually race. So far I have yet to see anyone be all that impressive their first time on the track. There are some that progress quickly, very quickly, but so far every one I can remember has experience in other forms of racing - not just street riding.

So basically there is no money to sponsor a 17 year old with no experience. You have to produce some results first, then you can possibly get some money (product is more likely at first).

So while this may seem like we're all being assholes the simple truth is your question is ridiculous to anyone who has been around racing of any sort. There is no magical way to write a proposal or magic question to ask. It's accomplished with hard work and sacrifice and a lot of luck.

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

if you can convince your parents to pay for a trackday for your birthday or christmas, you will be hooked on the track. you could play up the safety aspect as well, they might spring for a hundred+ bucks to keep you off the dragon...

anyway, to address your first response regarding a forum and common interest etc... the wera forum is like a swamp, with a natural fresh water spring in the middle. in order to get to the middle, and experience the refreshing depth of knowledge that exists there, you have to fight your way through the piranhas (sp?) and bull sharks. there are some aligators and a crazy guy who collects raccoons also, but 98% of the people you meet in your first month are piranhas. :D

4. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

get a job and pay for it yourself and then go racing

5. :stupid:

Get on a track. Go fast. Be a good ambassador. Show you have something to offer in return. Don't hate on girl racers.

6. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

You know, you strike me as a nice young man, now while Mongo laid that whole truth thing on you I want you to explore the options that do present themselves...never say can't...You can do this...Which brings us to "Daddy's money."

Hey, Junior? I don't care if it's Muammar Gaddafi's money, go make her fall in love with you, get daddy cutting some checks, and let's go racing...

7. rhett93

rhett93 Member

First off, I'd like to thank you for a mature, helpful answer. As far as proof of my potential, all I have are GoPro videos from the Dragon. Like I said I ride with guys that raced heavyweight superbikes back in the late 80s. They all say I have what it takes. And I understand that it will take lots of hard work and dedication but I am prepared. I just came here looking to be pointed in the right direction, as in where to begin.

8. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

We do all that here. You're in the right place, asking for the wrong thing. Sponsors give something for something in return. They have proven they can give you something. You haven't proven you can give them anything in return

Potential is a key word. Look up it's meaning. It's not a guarantee.
    I was also told that i had a lot of potential. Then i went to my first race on a CBR600F2 & got beat by guys on 10 year old EX500's with 16" wheels & leaky carbs. I got better, but "the fastest guy in town" (me) got waxed for a while. Try explaining the potential for that to happen to a sponsor before turning a wheel on the track.
    I've raced with guys who went on to win AMA championships & also blazingly fast track day guys who had one weekend of real racing & went home & cried to mommy, never to be seen again.
    My point is, you have no idea of your ability. You have proven nothing & therefore can't garner anything from anybody because all you know is that you want to do something & want money to do it. You don't need a sponsor. You need a rich daddy.
    Didn't you already mention something along those lines? [/QUOTE]

Oh yes. There it is.
    You'd be better off trying to convince him.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  9. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Did you miss his avatar pic? Dude can corner low.

I still have nothing to add except that if you intend to get into racing you must have thick skin.

10. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

When you get to the track I don't care how much potential you have, you will be humbled...Mmmkay? That's guaranteed...Everybody is fast, and then they get to the track...

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Check the link I referenced on the first page. That links to a section, Help for New Racers.

Read those topics. If you have more questions ask away.

If you family asks for ideas for gifts (birthday, Christmas), get them to buy or give you money for proper gear. Summer is coming up, get a job, save enough for track days and a school or two. Show them you are serious.

12. rhett93

rhett93 Member

My dad has already agreed to pay for a trackday. Going to Jennings next month.
    I'll see what I can do! :beer:

13. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I'm satisfied.

14. Maybe you should send those videos to sponsors.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Or post them here? :D

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh hell no! Eject! Eject!

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Are your parents supportive of your racing dreams? Most of the young racers come from families who make a great deal of sacrifices to move their racer forward. Find a local mini racing club, show up and ask questions. It is a cheaper way to get on track and get actual race experience. I was amazed at how damn slow I was when I first gridded up to race, in spite of being the scourge of the California mountains in my younger days (read squid)

18. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Another way to put it is rarely do people give things away for free. You have to be able to show someone a return on their investment (this goes for a lot of things, racing included). A very common way for people to display their product is on the bikes that are winning. However, that isn't the only way. There are plenty of examples of a slower rider getting more sponsorship than a faster one by being better at the business side of racing. All that said, it would be very difficult for a rider off the street who has never even been to a trackday to get someone to sponsor him/her.