1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gsxr 600 suspension help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by techhnyne, Mar 27, 2011.

1. techhnyne

techhnyne Well-Known Member

Hey guys, i am looking to upgrade my suspension from stock but not sure to go penske or ohlins route for the rear, and what should i do for my forks?
    also looking for a place that knows what they are doing to set up my suspension, like ctr or traxxion or any other suspension shops for race suspensions.
    also almost forgot what about going the whole race tech route?

does anyone here have experience with both penske and ohlins that can tell me if its worth the extra $ for ohlins? and should i go double or triple click

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. CMDI

CMDI End User

3. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. The Ohlins is preferable for the Swedish workmanship and the nude girls in the instructions, but the Penske comes with a sixxer of Budweiser and a Nascar pass.

4. Brian Driver

Brian Driver Well-Known Member

I would go Penskie. Unless you got tons of cash for Ohlins. For the front AK20 gas.

5. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Hey buddy,

There are books out there... And believe it or not, they have good information inside them...

Do not go Blind to a shop and ask for a suspension fix... They would easily sell you more than you really need...

What do you need?

Springs for your weight... for starters...

I would recommend a Penske as well... From what I hear, the Ohlins works really well if you can set it properly... The Penske is easy to set properly and make it work really good...

If you are in a budget, buy a Double Clicker Used for half the price of new... Send it in for service and it would be as good as new...

Shim your shock Clevis some 10mm... And adjust based on personal preference...

As for the front, you can swap valves and what not... You can probably get it to work good... Again, if you are on a budget, purchase a used AK20... I did, and it is night and day from stock...

Also, purchase the fork cap extensions... you are going to need them...

Again, do some reading... Try to understand how things work... That way, you can narrow your decision based on what you need... And then it be a lot easier to choose what you want...

Good luck!!!

6. techhnyne

yea i am new to racing i have been doing track days but on stock suspension.
    i have been looking online i usually read kawiforums there is alot of good info on that site for my kawi, but all the suzuki sites suck and seems like a bunch of idiots on there.

basically i just need a front and rear set up for a 175lbs rider 195 with gear i guess.
    i also wuld like to know what other riders run as far at parks and electronics but i havent found much talk about that, or im looking wrong places

7. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Advise: On your next Track Day, talk to a local racers...

Some guys don't have a clue... But there will be some guys, that know their stuff inside and out...

Ask those racers for the local race oriented suspension shop... Also ask for the local frame wheel and fork straighting shop... have their names and numbers saved on your phone and establish a friendly relationship with this guys...

The local Suzuki Dealer could not help you if they try, even if they try really hard...They are good for RR to OEM specifications... Outside OEM specifications they are oblivious or unwilling to help...

There is no Magic to suspension... There is nothing spooky about it... No Voodoo or damping god to pray to... Set suspension within known to work parameters and adjust to personal preferences...

Luis

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

How much are you wanting to spend?

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

You want Ohlins, here ya go: http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/parting-out-06-09-gsx-r-600-racebike/

I'm a Penske guy personally. You could find a used Penske triple for $600 and have your forks revalved or a used 20mil kit for $400 and you'd have a $1000 in that too.

Or you could get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-0...3806163QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Also, Penskes can be easily and inexpensively made to fit other bikes if you ever decide to change rides. Switch the shocks over for $150 instead of buying another shock. That's not gonna happen with an Ohlins.

10. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

11. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

Penske over ohlins...just asked yosh.

Call up metricdevilmoto.com mike can hook you up with a great setup I made the switch off of ohlins and will never look back

12. techhnyne

yea i was thinking penske over ohlins for rear but i wasnt sure what would be a good solution for fork kits
    penske makes a gas fork cartridge but not sure about it i never heard anything about them

13. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

If I am not mistaken the Penske Gas is the same design as the Traxxion Gas...

Do you need Gas? ? ?

It's pricey, About $2,500.00 if you have the money by all means do it...

The regular AK20 are about $1,000.00

http://www.traxxion.com/forkkits-2.aspx

There are also the Fork caps I was telling you about...

[​IMG]

The $99.00 price is for one fork... I think I seen them on ebay for $175.00 a pair...

14. techhnyne

i just spoke to traxxion about the ak20 he gave me a real good price, now before i jump on traxxion i am waiting to hear back from race tech and hear about their fork kits and rear shock kits and prices

sorry for dumb question but what exactly do fork caps do?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Where do I get the ever elusive extended fork cap for teh Ohlins 25mm set up?

16. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Ohlins had them the last time I talked to them. $200 for the pair.

17. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Penske shock, proper spring rates, and a valve job in the forks will be great if set up right. Use a good suspension shop. Do not spend too much money on the shiniest colors with the best known names. Just my opinion. The fork extender caps pictured are the Traxxion GSXR caps that allow the front forks to be moved in the triple clamps. This gives the "proper" geometry numbers. Not a bad idea. GP suspensions also sell the caps as well as valving.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  18. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

you dont need the gas stuff

In my bike i have the penske rear and ak20's up front and what a great setup that is. I like this a hell of a lot better than my ohlins i had last year. Penskes customer service is very good too!:up:

19. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

:stupid:

I have that set up on my SV650... Penske Double and AK20 on a 08 GSXR1000 front end... Suspension issues have vanish!!!

Luis

20. techhnyne

thanks guys!! i am new to racing and suspension and i just wanted some guidance and re-assurance on the right choices to make.
    you have been helpful

i am going to go with a penske shock, prob the 8987 triple, i was quoted $1000 for that shock adjusted and shipped to me, the 8983 was out of stock and ide have to wait 2 weeks for the shock and i have a deadline of april 16 to have my bike ready for track.

and so far im thinking the ak20 kit,if i get the ak20 kit should i also get the fork caps aswell or i wont need them with the ak20 kit?

a few guys at my track run the race tech 25mm cartridge kit in forks i was looking for some insight on them here but i guess not many people run them or prefer ak20 over them