SR500 school time

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by rd400racer, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Charles, you are a lovely, lovely man with great bone structure and you dress impeccably, but you are running low in the good idea department...But thanks for thinking of me...

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Someday, and it might be tomorrow, it might be next month, it might be 25 years from now, you will thank me for trying to save you from yourself!

Are you going to the MotoGP tomorrow?

3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I suspect this may be, yet another of Bro Chuck's " good ideas?".
    [​IMG]

While I have been doing well financially from his ideas, he may need to reign it in a little bit. Although I hear the Canned Haggis overstock makes wonderful Hampster food.

Ken

4. charles

charles The Transporter

Bro Ken:

How coincidental that you would mention our new 'canned' Haggis now, as we have just seen proof that not just the 'canned' (how I hate that word- it's so good no matter what the container!) Haggis but also our special bagged variety with spices has been seen in the pits at the ongoing motoGP in Qatar! We are thrilled that these riders are going flat out for our Haggis!

By the way, we've got no overstock of Haggis these days, all stock is flying off the shelves faster than wheels through the new Durrani plant !

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Charles,
    I just finished with the marketing people and feel that we need to promote our "Tinned" Haggises. It is not " canned", dog food is canned, in the finest UK way, our product is tinned.

I am pleased that the tinned Haggisses are doing well in the Middle East and in the MotoGP paddock. Any news on the marketing plans for WSBK? I hear Luca Scassa is quite fond of Haggis.

Ken

6. charles

charles The Transporter

Ken:

You're right on this one again! I will instruct our International Marketing lads to immediately use the term 'tinned'...Haggis in a Tin..kinda has a Brit country attitude...well, the WSBK people have been a bit more difficult to reach...our initial contact with Biaggi proved a bridge too far as he wanted Haggis alla carbonara which of course we weren't willing to do...Scassa is a different story, not as provincial.

7. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Thats cool, I am hoping to get out on the RD400 in V-2 this year. Maybe I can give him some competition on it. Last June I kept it close on the Rd350 for a few laps, I dont think Rich was feeling all that well at that race and was only going as fast as he had to. Anyway, he turned up the wick after about three laps and checked out, there was nothing I could do about it. Mike Ewer will be the man to beat in V-2 this year at SP, he had his CB just about all sorted out in Sept. and was very fast on it. Along with Eric Mercer and who knows who else, V-2 could have some close racing at the front this year. I am hoping to be a part of it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  8. Dave Renner

Dave Renner Well-Known Member

sr500

I built this one and finally plan on racing at VMD. It has a Bore-Tech ported 540cc, Jemco pipe, Mikuni 38 and a few more mods. It's also street legal, has headlight behind # plate and tail lights. They handle nice, my only complaint is they can be a pain in the rear to start.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  9. Vintage Bling

Vintage Bling Well-Known Member

The awsome SR that tex rode at VMD in 2009 is now owned by a Fellow racer Jim Wright. I raced it for him several times last year and got a few wins. This bike is one of the funnest bikes I have raced. it handles like a GP bike. I achully had faster lap times on it at barber than I did on my 750 BMW. you can just fly thru the corners. althought I think I need to tweak the suspension a bit more as I was getting it sideways in 5 at barber. We are currently doing some cleaning and polishing on it. But plan to have it back at the track by summer. Brad Phillips

10. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

11. Chumbucket

I'll be, I had that EXACT bike, first year with the rear disc and that red paint...Bought the thing new...

Huh, a couple weird things with that bike, the black cylinder and the tail light...Taillight assembly isn't OEM and I thought the black cylinder was an XT thing...That aside it is sweet...

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

13. Chumbucket

Wish it was closer...

14. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

sr500

I got a few sr's myself. raced one in clubman and formula 2 in my day . did my last trackday at putnam on one. I have the cylinder bolt kit on that one . guess they are my favorite ride .. rd racer . louisville is close. feel free to ride out and take a ride with me over the knobs. all the best Barnacle Bill

ps might give a call first

15. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

man....Bill if not for you i would still be wishing i could own one.
    i'm diggin it Thanks again for the free financing!

16. Chumbucket

Money well spent right there...

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Sounds good Bill. I've actually been to your house before. You repaired some leathers for me back around 1999.

Let me get mine running half decent and I'd love to go for a little ride.

18. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

cylinder bolt kit

yes it's good insurance if you bump up the compression but I have a few motors with the 525 kits and near stock compression without the bolt kit with no problems . good headwork , carb and exhaust will get you the most performance for the money . machining out the cases to accept the through bolts can be complicated. a local machine shop did mine but the old man that did the work is long gone now.
    get that bike going and ride on out some saturday morning for a ride or I'll meet you somewhere for breakfast . b bill

19. Chumbucket

Yup, exactly, as long as you didn't hog them out too bad, rev them through the ceiling, or go crazy with hi comp pistons you would be OK...I ran a one-over Wiseco 10.5:1 forever in one of those things with no problem. It wasn't the fastest thing out there but it was rock solid dependable, that and a WB-2 cam and a 36mm Mikuni was good enough to beat the guys with the radical builds and 38 and 40mm's on occasion, and it finished every race...I loved that bike, it had character, and I love anything that ALWAYS runs regardless...

20. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

I had a black '78 I think it was. White bros pipe and carb.....it rocked.
    Wish I'd kept it....sigh.