Milky oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by konaunit1, Mar 26, 2011.

1. konaunit1

konaunit1 Studdering thread killer

So I my novice race school a couple weeks ago in the rainy seattle weather. I changed my oil and it was milky and and some water droplets in it. The bike ran fantastic and pulled hard. Is this a sign of a blown head gasket or a cracked head?

I really hope it is somthing simple. The bike sat over the winter with the old oil in it. The oil had 2 trackdays in it.

Any info would be appreciated

2. Cliff#11

Cliff#11 Well-Known Member

Water pump? or... Blown gasket.. sometimes you'll get water/condensation in the site glass etc.. if it's been sitting for a while.. but that should burn off after the bike get's up to temp....If you didn't get the bike up to full temp it will just continue to condensate..

3. TheGrouch

TheGrouch Well-Known Member

Did you store it somewhere cold over the winter with water in the cooling system?

4. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

Can we assume it's a GSXR?

5. konaunit1

I stored it in a cool but above freezing garage with water in the coolant.

Nah it's an 03 r6

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Drain the oil.. Put some cheap dyno oil in in circulate. If it turns milky again you have your answer.

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

This is correct. Condensed water will turn oil a bit milky but boil off. If you get the motor up to temp for a while and it does not boil off, you probably have blown head gasket/water pump seal/base gasket.

8. konaunit1

Ok, I am going to drain the new good oil, which i haven't started the bike with yet. put some regular oil in run a couple of times and let it get hot. Drain the oil and check. If it is milky should I pull the water pump first? If That looks good then most likely a head gasket huh?

Crap first round in a week figures.

9. konaunit1

So I started the bike let it run for about an hour, rode it up and down the street. drained the oil and it has no evidence of water in it. I made sure I let the bike get warm enough to let the water circilate. Hopefully it is just a cade of old oil and a rainy day. I am going to race the bike next week and just change the oil after the first race to see if it continues. Any other thoughts on this?
    :beer:

10. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

Imaculate condensation.

11. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

Is your coolant low?

12. Kawboy1056

Kawboy1056 Member

If you're still having pretty cool mornings where you live, you sometimes detect a Head Gasket Tear/Blow when you crank it in cool weather and let it run and observe a steady mist of condensation escaping from your exhaust from start up straight through to max idle temp..

13. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

I get that with my ducati all the time. it always boils off once the bike gets to temp. riding around in town doesn't allways do it. I've had 2 ducati's and they both have done it.

14. foster

foster Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I had to deal with this same situation. If you're going to race it keep an eye on your coolant level and temp throughout the day. Mine turned out to be condensation as well, gave me a good scare though.