Regulator / Rectifier for GSXR-600 Operating Temp?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by NDR_GSXR, Mar 24, 2011.

1. NDR_GSXR

NDR_GSXR Well-Known Member

I just replaced my bad Reg/Rec that had burnt wires.

I never noticed how hot it got after riding, but it is VERY hot.

I understand it is located right above the #1 header and behind the radiator, so that may contribute to the high temp.

But, is 260F normal after riding?

Seems way too high.

Attached Files:

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  3. NDR_GSXR

NDR_GSXR Well-Known Member

Mine is a 2006, but I will definitely check those part #'s on the post.

Thanks.

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Also check your battery and alternator output. That's HOT.

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

the recall is for 08+ gsxr's.

the 06/07's RR's are in a bad position, thats why the 08+ have been moved to the side of the frame.

Look into a Mosfet unit instead of a shunt type. they run a lot cooler and are more reliable.

6. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

The kit harness allows for the relocation of the rectifier to the tail section, where is can run even hotter. Mine ran in the OEM location for two years before I relocated it under the tail section, where it started to melt it's wires in half a season.

Would it be a good idea to cut a hole in the bottom of the tail section to get it some air?

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Was it mounted securely to a heat sink area instead of insulated on rubber?

I've ended up mounting regulators on the side of the bike in open air.

8. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Yes, it was in the seat hump, mounted solidly on the alloy (upper) subframe. I was thinking of flipping the new rectifier over and cutting a little duct in the bottom of the tail section to get it some air.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:up:

10. sickgixxer33

sickgixxer33 Track Whore!!

anyone if you can mount the rectifier on a 06 like you can on a 08, or will it have to be custom fabbed?

11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

The 08-10 RR sits on a bracket that mounts off 2 holes on inner side of the top frame spar beside the air box, but just out of reach. I'd be surprised if the 06-7 frames have those holes there. You could mount it anywhere you like though, assuming your wires are long enough and bearing in mind they do get warm regardless.