KZ650 Suspension

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by gpz11, Mar 9, 2011.

1. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

OK, I'm starting to get parts for my '77 KZ.

I've picked up a set of '79 forks so I can have dual disc brakes along with
    another disc. Working on the set of calipers. Will be ordering up some gold valve's for it too.

So I'm looking for some fork springs and can only find the Progressive ones but I can't see what the spring rate is other than I know it's progressive. :)

Any ideas on where to find stiffer springs?

Also for the shocks, should I go for stock length or longer? If longer, what length should I go?

Thanks!

2. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

RE: Fork springs

Traxxion should be able to make whatever you need to whatever spring rate you want...Just Google them...

3. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Shoot, I forgot about Traxxion.

4. tomsljr

tomsljr Active Member

Measure what you have and I bet Racetech will have something for you.

5. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

I had racetec in my KZ650. I dont remember what the were. What ever they recommended. I have since changed to 41mm and ot rid of the others.

Good luck with your KZ

6. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

RaceTech says to call for custom springs.

Any ideas for the shocks?

7. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

Mine are 3/4 longer Ohlins.

8. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

if you are going for gold valves then dont go for progressive springs, go with straight rate.

that said, always cut my stock springs to get the rate i needed and compensated for the missing length with a DIY threaded adjuster that let me set up front ride heigh in two minutes.

traxion dinamics have a good graph for bike & rider weight vs. spring rate but as a thumb rule, 0.9 to 1.0 kg/mm should be fine if you are not some kind of heavyweightwrestler.

have also a simple solution to get any rear ride height i want with twin shocks, will have to take a picture to explain.

9. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I did some digging and it looks like I need a set of FRSP S2341100 springs which are 1.0 kg/mm and the heaviest they make.

10. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Active Member

told ya'

;)

As for shocks, seen people in the winner's circle using anything from swapmeet, rebuilt 70's koni's up to 600$ ohlins or works, also check your class rules to see if piggy backs are allowed.

it's a matter of budget really, hagon and maxton start at 250$ if i remeber well up to very expesnsive ohlins or works

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011