1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BYU's no-f*cking policy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Mar 6, 2011.

1. sdg

sdg *

I've hung with baptists...not so sure.

I ain't from these here parts.

2. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I hear you. I have seen the hypocrisy in our secret underwear wearing friends from the Wasatch.

3. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Is that a joke? My son just graduated from Penn State and tells us that the running joke at PSU was that their football team had two defenses, one football, the other legal. Many of the Penn State players had legal issues and continued to play. Football is the main reason that PSU alumni shower that university with cash, and that cash is where Paterno's huge salary comes from. Not to take away from Joe Pa in any way, he is a hell of an inspiration for the students there, but he definitely has an attitude that "boys will be boys."

4. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

it's a joke. they made an example out of that kid.

no way they'd do their great white hope Jimmer like that.

how did the school find out the kid hooked up anyway? wonder if we'll hear about a ruthless beatdown in the future.....

5. Motomark32

Motomark32 skinny tires

Time and place for everything, I say. You got'cher liberal Berkleys on on side and Brigham Young types on the other. No one is forced to choose one school or another. When it comes to wacky conduct code extremes, college is probably the right time and place.

But no tea? Really?

6. sdg

sdg *

Yeah, tea has caffeine. :rolleyes:

But they'll suck down the sody pop like there is no tomorrow

7. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

Yeah I couldn't believe that one. What a joke. Sometimes these people make it hard for others to take them seriously. HOW DARE YOU DRINK THAT TEA!!!!

please... it's their right though. not gonna take that away.

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

#2 and #7 would be why I wouldn't attend BYU. The rest I could have lived with as a college student.

Met a guy in College who had run track for BYU. Got bounced because of Honor Code violations - this was in the late '70s.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Caffeine has absolutely nothing to do with it. Urban legend.
    And yes, they would have done the same with Jimmer. They are all over the athletes these days.
    They found out about it because Davies has a conscience. He actually came to the school about it. He could have waited until the season was over had he wanted, it was only known about because he spoke up.
    Nothin' but respect for the kid.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Baptists, Evangelicals, Catholics, etc. It's no different. I've been around them all for years.
    It's always the locals to these religions that have personal issues with said religions that like to point it out. Regardless of area and religion, it's all the same.

11. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I agree with everything you said except that Paterno's salary is huge. His ia actually relaitvely low compared to other D1 programs. When he finally retires PSU is gonna have to pony up some serious dough to get another legit coach. Joe Pa only makes around $500,000 a year as per what was released about two years ago.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's not bad money for someone who doesn't actually coach anymore. :D

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

i'm sending my daughter to BYU now ;)

14. sdg

sdg *

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  15. DuncR6

DuncR6 BCICAN

Whats wrong with tea & coffee is against the honor code? LOL welcome to mid-evil times.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The LDS Church has what is called "The Word of Wisdom". In it, there is an advice of not drinking "hot drinks". The only thing this has ever been said to include in official Church doctrine is tea and coffee. Hot chocolate, herbal tea, iced tea and the like have always been fine.
    As for caffeine, there is no mention, no official Church doctrine against. There are individuals that include caffeine for themselves, but it has nothing to do with the actual "Word of Wisdom".
    For a long time, beer was fine as it specifies mild grain drinks may be used.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  17. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I think it has to do more with BYU being a private Morman school. Caffine is considered a drug and drugs are against the faith. I'm just guessing on that.

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Many a college athletic department has proven that hypocrisy is a very real option.

I applaud BYU for not taking the easy way out.

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

'IT' still happened... :D

20. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

He winds up giving most of it back to the university anyway...how many universities is the library named after the football coach and the football building is named after a university president?

Eventually I think the football stadium (or some portion of it) will be named after him as well.