1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choosing to buy fully prepped or not.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sicilian32, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Sicilian32

Sicilian32 Well-Known Member

Ok I've seen a few threads like this but not exactly.. For a cheap race bike, would it be better to buy a bike like lets say an 06-07 gsxr600 fairly stock or a fully prepped 03-05 cbr600 with exhaust rear shock front fork work etc.. there are a few bikes here and on other forums that are between 2500 and 3200 . which should i choose and why? I ask because im not familiar with the performance of those paticular bikes. I want to go cheap because i already have a cbr1000rr in superstock form but i think i want to hold off on using that for my first season. track days at big willow yes, racing at 170mph umm maybe not so much just yet.

2. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I say full prep and older regardless of brand. Suspension is worth more than stock junk a few years newer. Club racer laptimes don't come down much from year to year with newer model bikes, especially novices.

On the RR specifically, I won 2 novice championships last year on an 05. I'm running the same bike next year. I got a similar deal to what you are talking about and couldn't be happier.

BTW there is a new racer section of the beeb now

3. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

Fully prepped.
    Do keep in mind even if the bike has a shock and fork work, it may need to be resprung and oil might need to be changed.
    Taking a bike from mostly stock to somewhat competitive race ready is not cheap.

4. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

I just went through this dilema myself and went with the Fully Prepped. Once I had done the math and figured the numbers it made more sense by far. Not to mention I got a KILLER deal.

5. Sicilian32

yes i realize this as i have done that with my 1000rr. i was just wondering if the handling abilities of a gsxr 07 would be that much better then an 03 or so 600rr for it to be worth spending 500 more plus having to upgrade the suspension and tune it. i figure i could find a double penske for close to 400 and revalve respring front for 400 or so.

6. Sicilian32

i actually really wish i was skilled enough to run my 1000rr being that it has everything on it :(

7. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

fully prepped. saves time and money, even over salvage build.

8. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

prepped

9. Caleb 6R

Caleb 6R "the new guy"

I'm building a track bike from my once street bike. It's a 04 ZX6R 636, I've been slowly picking up parts to do a flip. I kinda wish i had just sold it and bought a fully prepped bike. But i'll have a fully prepped bike in August to buy so this is just a fill in bike for now. So i would voted buy a prepped bike, unless you have a lot of time and money to spend. But it is fun building your own bike!

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

even when "all important items are straight"

11. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

If I were in the market, I think fully prepped is the way to go. then all you have to worry about is detailing the bike to your likes.

12. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

I have TRIED to build a nice bike but for the money the prepped one I bought was the most bang for my buck. Great from the get go for a lot less dolla dolla bills y'all.

13. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Unless you're showing me a picture of a 2x4 held against said component proving otherwise it has to be straight! :beer: