1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varsity in Atl

Discussion in 'General' started by Scuba Steve, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

I was in Atl this weekend for rugby and a bunch of us gimps hit The Varsity for dinner on Saturday. That place is a zoo! We couldn't believe how many people they move thru the joint. The food was awesome to!

How's Vortex? Think we might try that one next time. I've seen both places on t.v but just want a locals opinion

2. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

The Vortex is the best burgers in Atlanta, in my opinion. The Varsity is really good, but I tend to regret it later. They do make insane amounts of money there.

4. RR EH

RR EH Member

Hopefully one of you got the chili cheese double burger with onion rings.

Man I miss the ATL.

Thanks for making me hungry!

Ed

5. jcclx1

jcclx1 Well-Known Member

Ann's Snack Bar

Ghetto Burger blows them both away.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vortex is fun and worth checking out.

7. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I never saw the allure of the varsity. The food reminded me of a middle school cafeteria...

As for burgers, I rotate between Vortex, Flip, Manuels, Yeah Burger, and a few other hole in the wall places. Never tried Anne's, but heard good things. Usually whenever I'm in that area, I hit up Daddy Dz...

8. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

When at the Vortex, be sure to get the Triple Bypass Burger. Yeah Burger is really good but a little pricey. Flip Burger has very tasty burgers, but $10 for a burger smaller than a dollar menu burger is outrageous!

9. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

the Varsity is awesome...before i eat there, and it completely sucks...after i'm done eating there.

i don't even know why i still eat there, but for some reason when i'm downtown i always get hungry for Varsity food...and then always regret it after wards.

the food sucks, the service sucks, the crowd sucks and i suck for going back when i know better. :D

"WHATTA YA HAVE, WHATTA YA HAVE, WHATTA YA HAVE?!!"

"some manners, Shanequa. there's no need to shout.....and ahhhh, let's see...a double chili cheeseburger, 2 naked dogs, an order a' rangs and one of them orange drank thingys." :D

10. Scuba Steve

Was just on Vortex site i'll def be checking that place out!

The orange drinks are good stuff at Varsity!!

I'll be sure to check out the others sometime.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Let me know when you're here next time and I'll try and meet you down there. Thursdays are a squidly bike night of the highest order, crowded and annoying but still fun as hell to see. Would be a bit of a bitch in a chair but I'd bet you're used to that.

12. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Mongo-

This year you should have a list of good eating joints within driving distance of the GNF! That would be useful so we never have to eat at Waffle House again...:crackup:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on what you mean by driving distance. Theres some stuff within 10-20 minutes, a lot more withing 30-40. Some decent Mexican in Oakwood, the pub at Chateau Elan is supposed to be good. Not w hole lot right there though.

14. Scuba Steve

Will do. Crowds are always fun! Use them as rugby practice!

15. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Vortex & Varsity... I am walking distance from both, and, well, kinda like that. LOL...

Varsity onion rings are awesome.

Vortex - get the elvis burger. Peanut butter & Fried bananas FTW.

However, if you're in this area, you are really doing yourself a disservice by not going to Papi's cuban about 2 blocks East of the Fox Theatre on Ponce. It is the *BEST* cuban sandwich I've had in the US. Period...

And then there's the Flying biscuit a few blocks further on 10th & Piedmont... Creamy Dreamy Grits... oh my god.....

Thank god I walk everywhere & go to the gym 4-5x/wk...

16. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Hit me up if you're in Midtown... I'll buy you a beer.

17. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

I don't think I could ever work there. I'd get fired for yelling out "what the fuck do you want!"

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

:D Welcome to the south

19. AH406

AH406 Well-Known Member

The Mad Cuban is rockin it for Papis these days I think, every bit as good as it was too. But if you want a burger The Earl is the uncontested champ in the Atl. Been voted the best in town since they opened 15 yrs ago. More townies,Emotwits and tatted up whooers than you can imagine but they got an old rusty tricycle hanging from the rafters.

20. seablues

seablues Member

Yeah, in today's standards the food sucks, but for old farts like me, the Big "V" reminds us of picking up that first redhead on the top deck and blowing out of there with her hanging on the back of my '66 Triumph TT.
    Or the brunette in my '64 Chevelle.
    Or the blonde in my '67 Mustang.
    'Course they all dumped me for some Tech guy with a future.
    It's still fun to go back and jump in the madness and have two Glorifieds, onion rings and a jumbo frosted orange.

Whatauhav? Good memories!