Shooters: Load Up on Hi Cap Mags

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Tinfoil hat charly, Jan 10, 2011.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Arrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggh

:eek:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Create more jobs?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We really need more government employees?

4. mpolans

mpolans Well-Known Member

I'll ignore the point that this is all done after the crime has been *committed* and the the chances of this deterring a hardcore (or ignorant) criminal are slim to none, but here's how police trace guns as it is. You get the serial number and go to the manufacturer and ask what distributor/wholesaler the gun was sent to. Then you go to the wholesaler/distributor and ask what FFL Dealer (Retailer) the gun was sent to. Then you to go the FFL and tell him to look through his stack of 4473s to find out who the gun was sold to. Then you go find that person and ask them what happened to their gun ("stolen? Oh really? When did you file a theft report?") or who they sold it to. Then you go to the next person and ask them the same things. Now, it's possible that the original purchaser from the FFL may have forgotten or didn't keep records of who he sold the gun to...oh well...he just became prime suspect #1 (good reason for even private people to keep a record of who they sold to).

Might a registration system make this trace effort easier? Sure. That said, it's still a measure that occurs after the crime, has zero deterrent effect, and the dangers of the system *FAR* outweigh the benefits.

A registration system provides a list for the government to to later proceed with confiscation. History has shown that confiscation has followed on the heels of registration time and time again. The most notorious example in the 20th century was probably 1930s Germany. However, it has happened within the last 25 years here in the U.S. I don't recall the exact years, but sometime in the 1990's, California required all so-called "assault weapons" to be registered. Later, it passed a ban making it illegal to possess an "assault weapon" and required that all owners of "assault weapons" had to either turn them in or sell them out of state. IIRC, they were required to provide proof to the state that the gun was sold out of state or turned in; of course, due to registration, the State had a list it could then use to go door to door to confiscate from those who didn't provide proof of disposal. It doesn't even matter that TODAY'S anti-2nd Amendment/"reasonable gun law" supporters claim that they would never intend to confiscate firearms because a registration system would allow TOMORROW'S anti-2nd Amendment folks to change their minds and initiate a (likely gradual) systematic confiscation.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

bravo.
    like has been said a thousand times, i, as a law abiding citizen, give you nothing to fear about my gun ownership. it's therefore none of your business how many or what types of guns i have.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Sar*chasm: [sahr-chaz-uhm] -noun The gap between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Sar*chasm: [sahr-chaz-uhm] -noun The gap between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

:D

8. bird_dog0347

bird_dog0347 Major League Infidel

Not to sound like a dick, but if it contains bullets on the inside it is a magazine, if it holds them but they are exposed it is a clip...

that said, I have high cap mags to use in USPSA competitions, and the more bullets the fewer reloads. Fewer reloads equals faster times, equals more wins.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  9. bird_dog0347

bird_dog0347 Major League Infidel

a-m-effing-men!!!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're going to continually trot that out then I'd suggest you work on actually being witty ;)

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Hey! I'm halfway there...

12. HoundOfDoom

HoundOfDoom Active Member

+1

13. Bobb Shyy

Bobb Shyy Probably gonna get banned

Four for $1.29!

14. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

You missed the point. The crime that I am focusing on is the illegal sale of handguns, not the assaults that are committed by those who purchased a handgun illegally.

But isn't there a huge hole in the present scheme to document chain of custody? Don't many states (perhaps 33 according to some sources) allow the private sale purchase of a handgun without a background check or even ID?

Re confiscation: it won't happen and there is no substantial evidence that it would ever happen. Comparing the US to Hitler's Germany makes for good political verbiage but in reality you and I both know that it doesn't cut the mustard. Granted, there is a lot of stupidity on the left (and even the middle) about gun laws (assault rifle ban, limiting magazine size) but a wide scale seizure of guns is highly unlikely, and would face huge political and legal reverberations.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And those laws aren't being enforced. Straw purchases are already illegal.

Here's a question: I know that FFL dealers are required to maintain records for inspection by the BATF, but do they submit these records periodically to the BATF? If not, that is actually a requirement I could get behind.

By your post, you acknowledge that this is an issue for the states, not the feds.

I'd rather keep it that way (as well as acknowledging that whole 10th Amendment thingie. :beer:

Oh c'mon Rodger. Do you really think the German Jews believed their gun confiscation would lead to their eventual genocide?

Gradualism is the enemy of liberty. I'm pushing back.

16. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

It's not illegal for for residents of most states to buy a gun from a dealer (with a background check of course) and then sell it without a background check to anyone via an add in the classifieds with no background check. Sometime the second sale comes at a retail price double what you pay at a dealer. Wonder why?

Can we at least agree that background checks should be required for all firearm sales?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No I don't wonder why - it's because they are selling illegally - now please tell me how the same people currently breaking the law are going to follow a new law.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Nope. Not at all. It's a straw purchase.

Perhaps our illustrious law enforcement agencies should be scouring the ads for obvious straw purchase resells instead of busting "working girls"?

But again, it's a state issue, a state law enforcement issue. I'm opposed to giving the Feds any more power.

Nope.

A responsible seller requires buyers to have a permit to purchase (in MN). As a lawyerly kinda guy, I'm actually surprised you don't see the ginormous civil liability that an irresponsible seller assumes when they sell a firearm to someone who hasn't been adjudicated by local law enforcement as a person to whom possessing a firearm isn't illegal.

19. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Are you so sure????

http://www.givethemback.com/

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Hitler is an example of one of the worst cases for sure but he is not alone.

As to it not happening here I seem to recall when a ban occurred in CA they used registration lists to go and collect things. I would not be surprised if the same has not occurred in NY. I would google for more info but am headed out to work and figure if you have any interest in both sides you are as capable of searching as I am.