Racing helmet preferences?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Parr, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I have a Scorpion and unless I'm getting sponsored I will probably continue to use it at the track. I'd hate to spend $700 on a nice new Arai and crash it at the track.

2. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

I used Shoei for the longest time, but bought one of the EXO700 due to the price point. No shield lock, hated that, especially when towing someone around.

Went back to Shoei X11 and keep the EXO for a backup.

3. Parr

Parr Well-Known Member

Thanks all - appreciate the input.

4. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

If you have a 100$ head, buy a 100$ helmet.........

5. S4Alex

S4Alex Well-Known Member

/rant
    Sorry, but I have to say this is the most overly used comment on "helmets" and most other gear used.. and it is SOOO offf..

What if the helmet is onsale? Do I have to pay full price? Or are we talking MSRP? So, I mean, all a manufacturer has to do is make the MSRP $1000 and then discount it down to $100, does that still count?

I mean really? If that is the case, are you sporting the top of the line Helimot suit? Because those cheap off the rack suits are crappy, I mean, if you have a $500 body, wear a $500 suit.. you need to spend $2500 on a custom fit, unless it's onsale..

I mean really? That is probably one of the most annoying statement. I want anyone to show me how my Arai Rx7 will protect my head any better than my Bell Star or my Shark RSR2 or, hell, my MotoBoss Helmet I got at cyclegear on Black Friday sale for $79?

The only difference is fit and features.. venting, removable liner.. etc..

/rant off

Back to topic...

Street: I use the MotoBoss (just cause it has BlueTooth), I also use my Shark.
    Track: I use my Shark and Bell.

I used to have an RX7RR, but that has been retired, I had a Shoei RF1000, but that is also retired.

Shark, fits my head the best. M, tight fight, but I like it that way. I am on the cusp of M/L, so it all depends on the helmet. My Bell Star is a S, but is was the first batch which was sized wrong, it is more of a M.

Arai RX7 - L (a little too lose after the padding broke in, street)
    Shoei RF1000 - L (a little loose, but hurt my forehead, street/track)
    Shark RSR2 - M (love the fit, street/track)
    Bell Star - M (decent fit, track)
    Arai Signet - M (a little tight, fit is OK. Spare/Pillion)
    MotoBoss - M (fit is actually pretty good, commute)

6. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Whatever fits your head the best.

I love the EXO 700 wish it had a lock on the shield. I hate the air pump 750 and 1000. Keep the gimmicks and make a EXO 750 with standard cheek pads!

7. nkldime70

nkldime70 Well-Known Member

I am an arai corsair v fan, it still shares the no helmet feel then its predecessor before it. The main feature I love is the amount of air the vents supply, big improvement from the rx7 before it. Its pricey but the R&d behind these helmets are unmatched

8. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

I hate to tell ya but that was an old advertising slogan started by Shoei or Arai about 25 yrs ago to scare everyone into buying there higher priced helmets. It's been so long now I forgot which company started it and it always pops up in helmet threads. Think of something else next time. Things have changed, tests have been done to show you can get just as good protection for 1/3 the cost, blah, blah, blah.

Carry On!!!

9. Smalls

Smalls 2012 Blue...

Whatever you want to believe......don't whine, complain, and sue when you get a closed head injury......and I am not speaking from a slogan point of view, but from bopping my head on the ground in high end helmet and not so high end helmets....

10. Buchern

Buchern Well-Known Member

Suomy! Awesome helmets. Nothing bad to say except they are expensive.

Crashed 3 shark helmets last year. Could be a coincident but i have had problems with massive concussion's every time i crashed. Good helmets but not to crash with. I had a awesome deal on Shark's, but i am now paying full price for the Suomy's instead!

11. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Not picking on you specifically but all with the same attitude. If you can't afford to spend on at least mid grade safety apparel, you can't afford the sport and probably shouldn't have started to begin with. Priorities people!!

12. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

The confidence I get from wearing an Arai is worth the 500 price tag.

I never had a issue with the shields. Just gotta yank the fuckers out, better than the HJC which the shield would fall off if you looked at it wrong after a couple months.

13. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

It has standard cheek pads on it, just under it a small air bladder (sits flat when not inflated) so you have the option to adjust the feel.

14. Bossracing

Bossracing Bossracing

+1 for Scorpion. I have crashed tested the EXO-700 helment and had no problems. I also have been using there dirt bike helmet for supermoto and it's holding up well.
    I plan on using the EXO-750 series helmet this year
    scorpionusa.com

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  15. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I tried one on and it did not feel nor fit the same. I wonder if i can just change out the pads from my crashed 700?

16. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Shark RSR2

17. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

Sure I'll get crap for this, but I've been happy with my KBC VR-2R's. Crash tested one and it did just fine. Have a couple of them now, and switch back and fourth at the track. I like the fit, wind noise isnt bad. They can usually be picked up on eBay pretty cheap. Only down side is finding tinted visors for them. Seems like they completely disapeared, once I did find some I orderd 5.

18. Modifyd4

Modifyd4 Well-Known Member

The best helmet is the one that fits your head correctly, personally I wear a shoei

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you can afford Arai, good for you, they're great helmets. But you're simply wrong to equate "mid grade" equipment with "mid priced". The last 5-6 helmets I've purchased were all under $100 (mostly Scorpion closeouts from STG) and I race a 12 year old R6 towed on a Harbor Freight trailer. If it wasn't for guys like me filling the grids WERA would fold pretty quickly and you'd have to show off your overpriced gear at bike night instead of the track.

20. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Just because some things are priced lower than others does not mean they are any better or worse. If I started making helmets and priced them at $1500 that would not mean they are better than any others, and it would not mean that an $800 Arai is cheap junk. Stay with a known brand that stands behind their product and has the helmets certified. Scorpion's 700 is DOT and Snell, the new 750 is DOT and ECE R22.05. As long as you have those the helmet will do a fine job protecting your head.