Ok brown baggers, whats up with making sammichs the night before?

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 3, 2011.

1. VTRDarren

VTRDarren Well-Known Member

I just wish my wife made me lunch... yeesh.

2. MikeM1

MikeM1 Well-Known Member

Apparently you haven't trained yours right......

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

+ :stupid:

Buncha crackheads in this thread :D

Who the hell gets up at 05:Bejebus to make a sammich for lunch ?!? Night before, Nancys!

4. Bobb Shyy

Bobb Shyy Probably gonna get banned

The bread gets soggy?

5. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Soggy sammiches. The oddest grounds for divorce that I've ever heard.

6. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

PB & J dosen't keep well. Like listed above Keeping the items separate and building it yourself at lunch works best. Ive started making bigger dinners and just packing up portions right away to take to work. Esp in the winter a hot meal kick a cold sandwich's ass.

7. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Get your own shop to work in, assemble basic kitchen. Make lunch when it's lunchtime. :D

Seriously, whatever floats your boat. The reason bread goes stale faster in the fridge is because frost free units take the moisture out of the box, so dry bread. In the case of sammiches, it's already been said, condiments when you eat 'em and not a moment sooner.

8. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

PB on both sides like someone suggested.
    I like cold pbj. Shit, today's lunch is a couple of boiled eggs and a granola bar. Meh.

9. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

use a bagel instead of bread

10. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

someone once told me maynoise on the bread prevents it from soaking up lunch meat and becoming all soggy. im too lazy to make a sandwich so i dont know if its true or not

11. Spyderchick

Throw in a fresh piece of fruit and you're golden!

12. I like PBJ after it has been sitting for a while and gets all soaked in/soggy. Hell, sometimes i make mine and just let them sit all day then eat 'em. :D

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

sangweeches made the night before is completely unacceptable

14. F. Richard Head

F. Richard Head Davie's "Daddy"

[nerd]
    Actually, this is not the case. Most would not store bread in anything that doesn't seal, so how could bread in a sealed ziploc bag lose moisture whether at room temp or in the fridge?

Bread is a bit of an oddity. While most foods degrade more slowly due to the lower temperature in the fridge, the starch in bread crystalizes several times faster than at room temp. Bread in the fridge for a day stales about the same as bread at room temp in a week.

Freezing bread limits the amount of time bread stays at the ~40°F temp of the fridge, and once frozen, the staling process slows to a crawl. Bread can stay frozen for weeks or months without notable degredation after thawing.

We have often made a week's worth of PBJs and frozen them. Freezing also halts the jelly from soaking into the bread and making it soggy. You take it out of the freezer in the morning, and in an hour or so, it's thawed and ready to eat, so it's basically like making it fresh that morning.
    [/nerd]

15. Spyderchick

The original Q was in the fridge, in which bread does dry out faster in the refrigerator part, leaving you with stale bread. Also, many plastics do not create an air tight seal, (even the double ziplock type), and thus allow air/moisture transfer.

Experiment: put an ice cube tray in the freezer (filled to the top with water, obviously) and leave it for 3 months. The ice will eventually disappear, (I know this because I rarely use ice) due to the fact that modern refrigerator/freezers remove moisture from the unit to create a frost free environment.

And Bob's your uncle! :p

16. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

LMFAO!! That's going to be my new saying for anyone who has marital problems.............................. If the bit*h doesn't fit.... Just call DITS!!!!:crackup:

17. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

You guys new to this sandwich making thing?

If you make them the night before you put butter or butter like spread (yuck) on the bread before you add condiments. It keeps them from soaking into the bread and keeps the bread moist.

18. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Ask her if she can pleeeeease get up a little earlier and make your sandwich fresh.

19. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

:stupid:

That's what I do. The jelly cant get to the bread so it doesnt sog it up.

20. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Haven't any of you heard of TOAST?

Your sammy doesn't get all soggy then even if you made it the night before.