Georgia Title knowledge??

Discussion in 'General' started by racerfranz, Jan 1, 2011.

1. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Greetings all!
    Any of my brothers or sisters here in Georgia know about Dmv requirements as far as titling goes?

I am looking into buying a frame from a dismantler in Ohio, and it only comes with a bill of sale. I want to build a bike from parts, but can't help but wonder what kind of title I will end up with if I were to follow this route, versus buying a frame with title( which generally costs more).

Not crazy about having a bike called "special construction".
    Thanks, Franz.

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I don't believe they will even issue you a title to your bill of sale. If they do You will have to tow it to a GA inspection site and pay to have them go over it. That said, I'm positive it wont be a normal GA title. It would have to be a salvage, parts, rebuilt title of some sort.

3. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Hmmm. Thanks, that's what I was thinking, rebuilt at best.

I want to build a bike from the floor up, but I think I'll need to find a frame or chassis that's already titled.

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The year of the chassis makes a difference as well. If it is pre 1986, then a bill of sale is all you need to title it. If you don't have a previous registration card for that frame, then you will probably have to get the completed machine inspected (and provide as much documentation as possible). 1986 or later, and you need a title, or you may be able to get a bonded title through a title service (gray area as well).

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Just curious, but why?

I've played that game with little pitbike projects and a custom streetbike builds where I realize all I really need is the frame and the motor, everything else will come from something else. When I start adding up costs, it's been cheaper almost every single time to buy a non-running or cheap complete bike and either part out, store, or throw away what I don't need.

Only exception was a KLX110 I did when I got a bottom end for $50 and a frame for $40. Even that was basically a break even deal when I started to see complete KLX110's going for $600 on CL.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  6. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

That wasn't a threadjack... I don't have the money right now to buy a complete bike ( I want to build a Harley). But, that being said, I need something to keep me busy in the garage.
    You are right about it being cheaper in the long run to buy a bike thats complete, especially when it comes to race bikes. I went down that road many times.

But sometimes, it's more fun to build it.

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It always is. :D

I know nothing about Harleys, you may have the right approach for all I know.

Good luck on your build. :beer:

Whatcha planning?

8. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Thanks!