1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawasaki issues stop sell on 2011 ZX-10

Discussion in 'General' started by Sweetpea, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i dont know it all and i put in 23 years, i was a warranty clerk for a few of them

2. ckruzel

its common, but now with everyone having computers most things like that are called tech notes, i know several mfg's you can log in and look for problems and possible solutions (pre-bulliten or pre recall) when i worked for mercedes one of our techs figured out a way to repair the master window switches that kept going bad on the ml's mb said another tech figured out pretty much the same thing, however they wouldnt pay for the repair because they said a bulliten was coming out with an updated part (the new part was on intergalactic back order forever it seemed)

nothing is black and white, except the mfg policies and procedures book, you a tech the rep me everyone can grey area this and that, when it comes down to legal and whats black and white, that book is law

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Damn, dude...you have been around for abit :up: Haven't heard that one in quite awhile.

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

You very well could be.

But I get to replace a 1/2 quart of synthetic every race weekend - though I really don't care so much about this. It's a racebike and I change it often regardless.

What I do care about is the four cam sensor failures I've had - two of which lead me to almost getting asspacked on seperate occasions when my bike shut down mid race.

This needs to be fixed and is unacceptable, imo - and I'm certainly not the only one dealing with it.

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Banned

I just got off the phone with a very accomplished tech at another dealer that has bikes being picked up and he said it was engine failures.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

23 years or not, you're not gonna tell me what I have or haven't seen done. And I worked in the motorcycle industry, not the car industry. Those are two different galaxies as far as I'm concerned. Automobile industry is light years ahead, I worked for a GM dealer for a few months.

NHTSA safety recalls get done by the book. Everything else is up to the manufacturer.

Let's just agree to disagree. :up:

7. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Too bad for kawi..Oh well..But on the Honda note Im Not looking foward to that next season! But it is what it is..Maybe ill get lucky and have not a hiccup.. I got some sensors like u recommend from shane.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  8. racer212

racer212 Well-Known Member

Hmmm..

I'm still skeptical guys. No bulletins on Kawi's dealer site, sales rep say he's heard nothing about this, and so did the tech line guy I called yesterday. Google it and the only the only places it pops up are on internet chat forums.

It could be real and Kawasaki is keeping quiet, but there's nothing on the CPSC site about a recall either.

I dont know what to think here.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I think the first place anyone mentioned the Suzuki frame fix a while back was the interwebs forums.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Are you saying that you think those people on ZX10r.net who said the dealer called them to bring their bikes back in are just making stuff up to fool everyone?

11. racer212

I hear ya...

You're right, but dealers at least knew SOMETHING was coming on that one.

Usually the first place a dealer hears things like this isnt the internet. And a stop sale order is usually accompanied by couple Fed Ex envelopes with big red letters on them, as well as the OEM website having it right up front. This has been on the web for a week or so, and we've heard nothing from Kawi at any level.

Again, maybe it's a small group of bikes and Kawi has it close to the vest - but I cant bring myself to put faith in it till I hear it from the OEM. I've just been doing this too long...

12. ckruzel

aprilia also had a stop sale and it was a recall as well, well recalls do mean stop sales, so does a service action if the bike is in inventory, just cant sell it until its fixed, i ended up with a new engine, was done before i even bought the bike

for what its worth my honda car rep was also a motorcycle rep, some small things different but many things the same, i can tell you i'm glad to be out of that end of the business.

13. racer212

I dont know what to think. All I'm saying is this is highly irregular. There's NOTHING official out there , no from Kawi, not from CPSC, not even on f**king MCN fer crap sake. Maybe it's legit, but I dont know.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've seen posts by other members in the past who have mentioned that Kawi has issued recalls on the DL like this before.

15. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Seems to be and issue with parts in the engine. All the bikes are getting shipped back overseas. This is whats posted on Jason Farrell's Facebook page. He ia a CCS/AMA/WSS racer. Owns his own shop and had is 2011 Kawi ZX-10 torn down completely this week including engine

Quote from Jason

"I know the issue. They will probably let me keep it. I believe there were parts mixed together that looked exactly alike but were slightly different. This problem can be bad if the parts are incorrect so all engines need to get checked to make sure the proper parts are in them.
    Whoever mixed those parts together probably is collecting unemployment right now"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1080264062

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  16. racer212

I've been a Kawasaki dealer in some fashion or another for 14 years, and I cant remember one. I mean this has been circling the BBS for 4-5 days. Customers that have deposits on them are asking me about it, and there is nothing out there, privately from Kawi or publicly from any other source. You'd figure SOMEBODY in the media or something got a comment from Kawi on it by now - and it aint out there.

17. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Have a Kaw dealer that was one of the few that got bikes. This is confirmed and a sale stop... Engine issues as stated above... It's real...

18. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

It's real and a public statement from Kawasaki should be released soon.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Case closed.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

JU has spoken