How in the WORLD has Fed-Ex stayed in business..

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Dec 7, 2010.

1. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

same here

2. Whit45

Whit45 Well-Known Member

Fed Ex Home delivers to our house, and they have a 50/50 chance of delivering our pkgs. to us on time. I realize that Fed Ex home is a contract division of Fed Ex, and their operated by Independent contractors, but they still could do a better job of delivering the Pkgs. on time. UPS is 99.9% spot-on. Actually the USPS has been getting better with their delivery times.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

IDK... most issues with UPS deliveries happen with "substitute" or "new" route drivers. Our regular driver always brings the ground stuff in the AM with the expedited air. Same with the USPS... always delivers to a business first.

Fed Ex shows up late or not at all and NEVER leaves the delivery even on the premium service stuff. But they do show up on Saturdays with ground...which UPS or USPS does not.

That being said I do have a vested interest in UPS. :D

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

FEDEX FTW.
    USPS for international shipping.
    NEVER again use UPS.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  5. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

What he said ^^^^

My shop is on the main highway BUT it is 8 miles out of town..... FedEx considers me "off the beaten path" since there are no other businesses around me. UPS gladly stops at my shop everyday..... even if I don't have a pickup...

6. Cam Morehead

Hmm.....

7. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

USPS Priority isnt bad if the package is small......Rates are better than Fed Ex or UPS.

Fed Ex is my choice though.

8. Motomfg

Motomfg Well-Known Member

Fedex sucks. They can never find my shop, even when the address says "rear of building" and I have a huge sign. Last week they left a package on the front porch. WTF I don't have a front porch its a industrial complex.

USPS has never lost a domestic shipment on us and the flat rate envelopes are cheap and easy.

9. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I worked as a temp driver for FedEX home over the 2004 Christmas season, then stayed on for 6 months.

I've seen the *inside*....... :wow:

They (and UPS) hire College kids to unload the semi's that pull up to the depot - Their only mission is to unload the trailer AS FAST AS THEY CAN - I've seen some scary stuff, and the WORST thing you can do is mark the package "fragile" about 2,000 times - these get "special handling" buy those Kids.... :eek:

I bet it's the same all over. :mad:

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

FexEx, UPS, USPS all are organizations staffed by human beings. Any package delivery company has a pretty easy-to-comprehend mission statement: get it there undamaged. Some guys take pride in doing their job right, and then you get the douchenozzles who hate having to come to work, so they take every opportunity to do the job wrong, muck up the system, and damage he customer property.

My experience with FedEx has been dismal. My UPS history has been excellent, only one issue in thousands of contacts. I use USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate for all my small products I see on my website, and they have lost one package in five years (about 3400 shipments.)

A couple stories:

1) I shipped a transmission shaft to my machinist using USPS Priority Mail. He gets the box, there is a tear in the end of the package, no shaft inside. Luckily I had another of the same part# shaft on hand, the job proceeded. About two weeks later I am in the local "main" post office. When I get to the counter, the clerk looks at the return address on my packages and says "Hold on a minute." He goes in the back and comes out with the transmission shaft, on which I had written "Rubber Chicken Racing" with a sharpie. He says "when the guys found this in the bottom of the sorting bin, I told them to stick it on the shelf because I knew the "Rubber Chicken" guy." He had me sign a Recovered Property form and I got the $400 shaft back.

2) My wife took a bank deposit to our local bank branch for me, and used my ATM card. Then she went to the closest FedEx drop box. and threw in some envelopes for her business. Somehow my ATM card got stuck to her envelopes and goes into the drop box. She gets home a hour late as the FedEx driver is walking up to the door with my card in his hand. He says "I was unloading the drop box and found this card that says "Rubber Chicken Racing Garage" and thought it would just be easier to come drop it off.

Moral of those stories: a) It really helps to have a business name that people remember. b) It pays to treat working people kindly and politely. they remember.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Lil more involved to it than that... but UPS does have minimum standards for employee production. I can guarantee you if someone (temp or vested employee) were throwing, kicking, or mishandling a package... they'd be terminated on the spot. Management or hourly.

12. Tib

Tib Well-Known Member

exactly...UPS = Big Price for SLOW Crappy Service

FedEx = Reasonable Prices for FAST Service

I've actually avoided buying from places that only use UPS because of how slow they are.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Same with me. I ship and receive a lot of packages at the shop. Never had a problem with FedEx. And every problem I've had in the last few years has been with UPS.

As a result, I only ship with FedEx and, if I have an option, I opt to receive packages via FedEx as well. In general, they are cheaper for shipping as well.

14. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

How long ago did you make the switch? We mark all our packages FedEx Ground. If they deliver to a home they tack on another $2.50 for home delivery. No other penalties. FedEx Ground is cheaper the FedEx home delivery. And overall our rates are quite a bit cheaper with FedEx than UPS. The FedEx earned discount program is good to us. Plus you can pay the bill with your AMX and get another 5% off. You just may have to use a few cards as they limit the 5% to a total of $1000 per year in savings.

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

And today I get a complaint from a client that USPS lost a shipment. They claim that they delivered it to his mailbox. He doesn't have a mailbox, his company has a mailroom.

16. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I am just glad Airborn Express/DHL is gone. The only problem we have ever had is with UPS damaged pkgs.

We shipped a tape drive to canada and it got damaged, so they (UPS ins) paid for the product that got damaged. problem is I had to refund the customer the money he paid for the unit, so in the end we lost our product and had nothing to sell so we still lost out.

17. Cam Morehead

Funny, when I called FedEx originally, the lady said "Looks like they dropped it off at shipping/delivery with J Reese." I said "I don't have shipping/delivery and have never heard of J Reese". She said "Let me call the local branch........"

18. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

This is just another case of iPhone/Android or Motorcycle Shop A/Motorcycle Shop B.

Seems like everyone always has both exceptional praise and horror stories from both sides.

19. mxracer95

mxracer95 Well-Known Member

I love FedEx. Cheaper than UPS and historically they have always delivered packages to me whenever they got to the local office, even if it arrived early. Several times I've had ground packages supposed to take 5 days from the east coast get delivered to me the next day because they ended up on a plane.

UPS, however, has always held onto my packages in the local warehouse until they were scheduled for delivery.

20. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

Fed Ex is bad for me, but i beleive its the driver in this area. Package will say delivered online but not be there. Two days later I call and complain and they say they are going to inquire witht the driver. Then it magically appears. Happend twice in 4 months.

BUT... if you want to see the bottom of the barrel, google my Post Office. Google: 'Post Office, 11231' and read reviews on yelp etc, its actually quite entertaining!