Better track bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by tjr, Dec 5, 2010.

1. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

I have not raced in over 8 years, but still use my race prepped 2000 GSXR 750 for a few track days each year.
    I was curious if a stock 2006 Honda CBR 1000 RR would make a descent track bike.
    I did not realize what a turd my 2000 750 had become until I had the chance to do a full speed Yamaha "demo ride" at Barber.
    Thanks for any opinions.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

My question is why is the 2000 a turd for trackdays? If you were racing thats another story, but trackdays . . . . Com'on Son!

3. benny6d9

benny6d9 Well-Known Member

did u ride the R6 or R1?

4. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

I rode both the R1 & R6. The R6 was faster than my 750.
    And Speedluvn, you know how it is - even if it's just a track day, we all like to be the big dog.
    I won several regional novice championships and still like to mix it up in the advanced group.

5. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that until I rode a newer bike on the track, I did not notice how raggedy my 750 with over 7,000 race/ track miles had become.

6. speedluvn

Honest question, this cant be done with the 2000?

7. speedluvn

Can you explain?

8. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

lol, my prezled F3 didn't have a problem in A group...

9. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Felt faster or actual timed laps faster?

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

With all the questions, no one has answered his original one??? Tdub

11. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

Sure. It shakes, rattles, and roles - almost like all of the connection points are fatigued or all fasteners are loose). Under hard braking from a long straight, my vision gets blurry from the vibration (it's not the rotors & the suspension is from Traxxion and set correctly). I still corners well.
    It all happened so slowly. I would not have realized it if I had not ridden a newer machine at speed.

12. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I would go with 08+ CBR1K if you are set on a Honda one thou. I really liked mine even bone stock, and for what I heard its a much better bike then previous gen.

13. speedluvn

:stupid:

Im also trying to figure out whats wrong with the 2000 for trackdays?

It seems as though you want a new bike

Does the wife know? :Poke:

14. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

178SV, it felt faster and smoother. I would never push a friend's bike hard enough to try to get good times. I'm just thinking that time at the track is so limited and precious, that I'd like to enjoy it as much as possible.
    Even though I'm not racing, I still really enjoy trying to lower my laptimes.

15. tjr

tjr Well-Known Member

Now you are making me feel guilty.
    NO! The wife does not know.

16. speedluvn

I have a 94 gixxer 750. I recently "upgraded" to a 2002 gixxer. I rode the two on back-to-back trackdays and saw the night and day difference between the two.

I have now mothballed the 94 until I can improve the throttle response on the 94. However, I won't get rid of the 94.

Also let the wife know. I was negotiating with the previous owner of the 02 but had not closed the deal. I let my wife in on my plan and she "increased" my spending limit :D. However, I decided against the increase and stuck with the 02 purchase!

Good Luck with your decision!

17. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

I'm curious, have you maintained that bike any?

18. speedluvn

I think that the 2000 just needs some love over the winter.

19. madboosties

madboosties Well-Known Member

I agree.

Whats wrong with having a new bike for trackdays? It doesnt matter how fast you are, ride to have fun. If you don't like what you're riding or have more fun on something else and have the means to purchase that something else then do it.

20. speedluvn

That might be a small problem if the OP acquires a new bike without the wife's knowledge. I'm just saying . . . :(