1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide - 6x12 or 7x14?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

So, I went this morning and looked at trailers. I can't decide.

I have 2005 Pathfinder - 4.0L V6, towing capacity 6000lbs. I just received, but haven't installed the 7pin factory wire kit for trailers with brakes. I still need to pick up a brake controller too.

Anyway, that's the truck. So, trailers - I had a 6x10 or maybe it was a 6x12 once before (I can't remember the exact size). But, I do remember that staying in it at the track was better than paying for hotels, but awfully cramped. And I always wished I had more room, hence upgrading to a Funmover.

I'm shopping for trailers again, and hooked up a 7x14. Double axle, 7000lb capacity. I could just see around it with my standard mirrors. If I added those clip-on mirror extensions, I could see around it fine, I think. That said, its wider than my truck by a couple of inches on either side.

I'm concerned about a few things primarily - cost (7x14 is a lot more), size - it IS a big trailer, having enough space - I really would like to have more room.

Somebody help me decide - I feel like if I got the 6x12, I'd wish I'd gotten the 7x14, but if I get the 7x14, would it be too big? Is there anything else I haven't though about with this decision?

2. 1twenty2

1twenty2 WERA #122

I've never heard anyone say they wish they had gotten a smaller trailer.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  3. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

How many bikes you haulin? If only 1, then a 6x12 will be enough room. I set up a cot in mine and am fairly comfy with everything in it at night. If 2 bikes, then a 7x14 would be my choice.

4. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I agree that a little extra space is never hurt anyone. Plus, it may be a little more sellable when you go to get rid of it.

5. ToxicRacing

ToxicRacing Well-Known Member

7x14 :up:

6. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

7. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I've got a 6x12 that I haul 1 bike in. I camp in it as much as possible when I go to the track. The only problem is, there's only enough room for one thing in the trailer. Its either me or my gear, so if it rains my tools and gear get put in the trailer and I'm paying for a hotel.

My opinion, I'd buy as much trailer as I could pull.

8. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

Yes my 6x12 loaded with two bikes and all my stuff my mdx is pulling hard. I'm getting bigger truck and go 8x24. Get all the trailer your truck can tow.

9. Lawn Dart

If I got an 8 x 16, I might be able to just put my Pathfinder in the back... (folding the mirrors in).

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

it's better to have room and not need it than to need it and not have it.

11. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

Alot of it is how you set it up. I use all the wall space I can to get stuff up and out of the way. 2 8' shelves on the wall, fold down table up front, stands hung up on the wall. I still have room for the bike, 3 sets of spare rims w/tires, tool box, 3 storage bins, and a cot. Still have enough room to move around at night and change. How much room do you need to sleep?

That being said, if I had a bigger trailer it would be nice, but not necessary.

12. Lawn Dart

LOL. We clearly all think alike... We're all "bigger is better..."

So, any thoughts/reservations about doing the 7x14 with a 4.0L V6?

I'm thinking of looking into a transmission cooler and suspension rubbers to keep sag to a minimum. Its not that I'm looking to spend tons of money, I'd really rather not. I towed before and remember that a couple of things could have been better.

13. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

That tow rating might work for across town. But not out on I-95 or much more I-81 with all its hills.

You'll be maxed out with a 7X14. It will tear your pathfinder apart slowly at first, then more often as you tow. Go with no more than 3/4 of what your tow rating is. Order a 6X12 with brakes and be safe. Or get a bigger truck.

14. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Seriously.

I've been thinking about a Tacoma SR5 for personal driver, and I would probably use it to fetch the trailer from storage, but for anything more than across town on surface streets, I'll use my diesel Ex.

Mine's a 7x16, and it flat out rocks for bike racing.

15. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I have had my 7X14 hooked to a SEQUOIA, down I-95 on a trip to VIR. While we made it :wow: ....it crushed the rear shocks, absolutely had to have the electric brakes hooked up, didn't pull the hills so good, could not run the left lane, got passed by old lady's with blue hair, etc...etc. :crackup:

Most say that we did have three bikes plus gear in it...

16. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

With that truck, 6x12. Try and find a 6x12 Haulmark Low Hauler. You won't hardly notice its back there. Head room is limited, but the ease of pulling one is worth the trade off.

17. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

when I had my 7x14 It towed OK with a Yukon with a 5.3 but anything smaller would have been rough (truck wise)

18. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

There are 6x14s out there.

19. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

I have a 6x12 and haul two motorcycles and a pit bike, along with the rest of my stuff...it works for me.

20. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

My 7 x 14 was great for me. Two things I would recommend- get a weight distribution setup. It really helps with pulling it. #2- make sure it's tall enough if you're going to sleep in it. Mine was 6 ft tall and the reason I got the camper is I hit my head enough times inside it. I have pics of how I set mine up to carry 2 bikes and a pit bike, if you want to see 'em:D