1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do so many racebikes not have titles?

Discussion in 'General' started by oilfieldtrash, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ToxicRacing

ToxicRacing Well-Known Member

buying online out of state is as well, we're all crooks :D

I however, have a very difficult time with the double dipping on sales tax when buying a USED vehicle. They collected sales tax on the vehicle when it was new. :up:

2. :stupid:

I have purposely bought bikes out of state for that reason. Many of the bikes you buy from Pro teams won't come with a title.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I just purchased a bike this year with an MSO from a private owne in N.C. I have to take the MSO to MVA to apply for a title in MD, correct?

My question is, will I only have to pay sales tax? Cause I don't plan to register it for the street. The bike is 8 years old.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

My bike has a title, not in my name and it won't ever be. Here in Mississippi (broke ass state) you cannot title it without buying a tag. I don't need a tag for a dedicated track bike. SO it sits in my garage with a title still titled to a women in South Carolina. Of course I signed it upon purchasing it. My only mistake was letting her date it. If I ever sell it I will bill o sale it and the new buyer can do what ever he\she pleases with it. It won't ever be on the street because its no garage queen. Track only and that will be disclosed at the time of sale. Back in '08 when I bought it a tag and taxes would have been over $700 bucks!! Hell no it didn't get titled to my name. This state sucks for sticking it to us on tag's and vehicle taxes. New motorcycle is 7% used 5% and vehicles are 5% new. My 2010 Tundra tag was $500 by itself no taxes. All that money and the roads and bridges are falling apart.

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Only speaking for PA, sales tax is due on vehicles at time of application of title or registration. If you don't need a title or don't need to register it, why would you? To me, tax fraud is avoiding to pay tax if there is a requirement to pay it. If there is not a requirement to pay tax, how is that tax fraud?

6. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

I am pretty happy that my bike came with the title and a notebook containing work that had been done on it over the course of it's life. I bought it with the purpose of learning to race. Not sure if I was capable of being able to race a bike I figured I could always hang safety devices back on it and make it street legal again. In the mean-time I had the seller (who was also properly named on the title) give me a notarized bill of sale at the time of purchase. "Peace Beast George" shared plenty of input along my purchase process and was really happy I ended up buying a bike with a non-salvage legit title. (He) said if racing didn't agree with me it would give me more options on what I could do with the bike 'down the road'. I like that 'peace of mind' and legit stuff! :beer:

7. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I steal the bike myself so there's no confusion. It also cuts out the middle man. Why should I pay for something that I could steal myself?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think you're confusing the requirement to pay with the means of collection on their part. Just because you didn't title it doesn't remove your obligation.

9. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I bought mine with a replacement frame--no vin/no title. I have two notebooks worth of notes and enough spares to damn near build another bike. I'm not sure that all manufacturers give anything other than a receipt on a replacement frame??

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm honestly not sure there is a set of rules. I know at one point a couple of the OEM's required the old steering head be shipped back. The shop by me would always stamp the old VIN into the new frame before selling it and the number would be on the receipt for the new frame. Others would just ship out a frame and not worry about the VIN in any way.

11. ATL#1

ATL#1 Banned

You cannot re-assign a title or MSO unless you are a dealer. Some states may be different, I don't know them all. If you don't want to pay taxes you need to have an open MSO and then you could sell it to someone else and leave it open. If they wanted to title it they shouldn't have a problem with a Bill of Sale. Even Pro teams should be able to supply an MSO. I would never buy a bike without one or a title with the name of the seller on the front.

12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You're right. Just checked with a friend at the DMV. Haven't had to do this lately, so, didn't know there was a change to the PA code. Prior to the change, you could purchase it without titling/registering it and, because you weren't titling/registering, you weren't obligated to pay sales tax. Now, you have to title, but, you don't have to register, but, you pay when you apply for title. This is only PA - other states are probably different.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Either way I'd still be the law/tax code said you have to pay sales tax on any vehicle you purchase. They just can't enforce it until you register/title it.

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

bottom line.. no title or MSO means you DO NOT OWN IT PERIOD. THERE is always a title for every motorvehicle and that bike is owned by who ever's name is on that title. 90% of the time some buddy sold it to a buddy etc etc and everything is fine but 10% of the time it will bite you in the ass. I have seen first hand a couple bikes I sold years ago now floating around with no title. I checked with the state and ithey were never taken out of my name by the guys who purchased form me. If I or my estate wanted to for what ever reason I could very easily lay claim to those bikes and totaly screw the current owner. In this case I got word to the current owner that I would be happy to supply them a title if they would like one..

BOTTOM LINE.. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TITLE OR MSO FOR YOUR BIKE, SOMEONE ELSE DOES AND THEY TECH. STILL DO OWN IT..

15. notbostrom

if people are that concerned it's not that hard to pass around a bike with an "open" title that is signed but not dated.. Better solution than buying and selling bikes without titles at all imho

16. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

my buddy bought a new ZX6 frame from a dealer a few years ago. Just went in and ordered it like any other part

On the MSO, you pay tax on the original price even if it's 10 years old right?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  17. Racer45

again not true. I buy bike from the insurance auctions and if its a scrap title I get it, but if I sell the bike I MUST send the title back to the sec of state. I can give you a copy but that is all

18. notbostrom

copy of a forfeit'd title is the same as a title in so much as no one else can have title to the bike other than you.. so we are saying the same thing.. there is a verfiable paper trail

19. Racer45

I'll go with that. But I do know places that will not give you that copy unless you ask (I bought one before). I don't think it's right so I always give a copy so it's easier for guys to resell them later on

20. gixxerfever

gixxerfever Well-Known Member

Factory race teams also sell their bikes and they have no titles, just a blank frame. They are very reputable and they give you a bill of sale. unfortunately no VIN or titles.