Shipping a suit

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Oct 20, 2010.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I need my suit cleaned. Who's the cheapest shipper?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Where to and how fast you need it there?

3. speedluvn

Richmond VA. Speed is not an issue unless were talking pony express

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

USPS would the cheapest. I'd use UPS but avoid shipping through the UPS store.

5. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

Probably.fastest and cheapest to go usps if its small and light enough.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

USPS, everytime.

7. speedluvn

Yeah I found that out already. The UPS Store seems to be a middleman for UPS.

8. speedluvn

Even with the weight of a suit? 20/25lbs? Maybe even 30 lbs?

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

UPS store used to be one of those mailbox store fronts. They add a f@ckton to the cost.

Here's what I always play by when it comes to cost and actually making sure the shit actually gets there:
    Fed Ex: Over night and international express
    UPS: ground
    USPS: letters and when I don't give a rats ass. Their overnight for some stuff isn't bad.
    DHL: International slow.

However you ship, double check that you can trace it every step of the way. I always ship signature required.

10. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

suit shipping

most suits are goig to weigh less than 15# . remove the armor and pucks were you can. use the smallest box it will fit in. size counts too. if you are going to insure it ups wil be the cheapest if you have your own account and will get there ground in 2 days if less than 500 miles generally . just our experience. all the best. b bill and darethea

11. speedluvn

Thanks! :up:

12. dmb367

dmb367 Custom User Title A

hein gericke IL to VA cost me $15 via usps last week

13. socal

socal Well-Known Member

UPS Ground. Shipping a suit with armor and pucks cost $15 from Los Angeles to Alexa at SpiderLeatherworks.

14. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

staples has great shipping prices (UPS)

and +1 on the "stay the hell away from "the ups store" or it will cost double

just bought some painted bodywork off another member shipping from FL to OH at the UPS store was $150 ... told him to check staples cause ive used them before and it was $80 .... shipping prices have went up alittle bit over the last few years . i used to ship bodywork all over and it was never that high .... yes he showed me the reciept lol

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  15. stan.riner

stan.riner Well-Known Member

Any dimension over 12" adds considerably to the cost. I just figured this out trying to ship something. I went from a 12x12x13 to a 12x12x12 and the cost went from $34 to $10!!!! Not sure if a suit will fit in a 12x12x12 or not but if you can fit it in there it'll be way cheaper.

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Go to the post office and get a "flat rate box" that will fit your suit. Get a couple different sizes (they are free) and experiment. You will be completely surprised how small a suit is without the armor. I used a flat rate box to ship my YZ426 crank across the country for $18 with $400 insurance. Seriously, USPS is literally giving the boxes away and charging a single rate regardless of weight. Great deal.

17. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Rob,
    UPS ground shipping..

18. Exactly how i handle all of my shipments.

You simply cannot count on USPS. I have seen shit take up to 10 business days to arrive and it came from this side of the country. I only ship with USPS when it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there. If they tell you 3 days, expect it to take at least 5.

I normally use FedEx. In my experience, if they say 3 days...the SOB will be there in 3 days.

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

see if it fits in one of those flat rate boxes :)

20. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

74 inches is the magic #

length plus 2 X height plus 2 X the width . you want to keep the box size under this. it will hold any suit sometimes even 2 average/small ones . but when the size goes over the 74 inch rule demensional weight starts to figure in and it gets really expensive with any carrier . it's the insurance that is so expensive with usps and wether you're ini a rural area with ups . you can ship to a business for less too . just our experience . still cheaper than driving it there. all the best. b bill