1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you feel about flying?

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, Oct 18, 2010.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I too fly every single week. Anymore, it might as well be a greyhound bus. I actually like sitting around in airports drinking beers watching the common folk bitch about delays and cancellations. I get paid hourly so every delay just means more race tires for me, i may be the only one who cheers for canceled flights.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I always found the landings into Kai Tak to be quite amusing....talk about gettin' er sideways

[​IMG]

3. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

so, uhhhhh what do you do for a living? Sign me up!

I have actually only been on a plane a handful of times. Enjoyed every second of it.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I hate the whole airport drudge... People watching can be interesting though.

5. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I take 3-5 flights a week, all in Texas. We have what amounts to an air taxi system here with flights every 30 minutes between Dallas-Austin, Dallas-Houston, Dallas-San Antonio, Dallas-El Paso. I would be doomed without those flights. There is no way I could cover a state this large. I love flying. The airport time sucks balls though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  6. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Same can be said for hospitals and Chinese resturants.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Flying is a non issue for me. My time is coming, and if it happens to be on a plane, so be it. I have other things to worry about. :)

8. sublime4mylife

sublime4mylife Well-Known Member

This comment sounds like it could be on a gay forum... :moon:

9. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Thanks Papa, Im feeling the love here....is the wx in CDG as bad as it has been in FRA? Oh, we couldnt get fueled in CDG because of the fuelers strike.....Oh, Kai Tak is closed....that was one of the fun approach's, get it right the first time or else...

10. 1coopgt

1coopgt Well-Known Member

The only way I fly now a days is on Valium . Loved this on that website .

“The two worst airports for us: Reagan National in Washington, D.C., and John Wayne in Orange County, California. You’re flying by the seat of your pants trying to get in and out of those airports. John Wayne is especially bad because the rich folks who live near the airport don’t like jet noise, so they have this noise abatement procedure where you basically have to turn the plane into a ballistic missile as soon as you’re airborne.” -Pilot, South Carolina

I've flown into and out of John Wayne international. Was very interesting all drugged up . This statement is so true "you basically have to turn the plane into a ballistic missile as soon as you’re airborne.” The climb is real steep at full throttle i'm guessing . When they pull the throttles back it gets real quite and the first thing through your head is awe shit . :D

11. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

It was featured on the show "10 most extreme airports" or some shit like that. It was ranked number 10......There's the fact that they are coming in over the freeways and such, and the view into downtown from the left side of the plane is amazing (of course the carriers and whatever else is in port at the time), but the real bitch is the fact that some genius decided to build a parking garage right smack at the end of the runway. They said that basically something like the first 1,800ft of runway is unusable. So it's a real quick drop down and hit the brakes sort of landing. Oh, and SAN also only has one runway. :cool:

I also fly every week, and even though I used to not really like flying when I was just doing it every once and a while, now that I fly every week I don't mind it at all......of course there is always at least one screaming baby, or there's the dingbats that can't seem to get through security without completely fubar'ing the line they are in......

I think George Clooney kinda hit it perfect in that "Up in the Air" movie.....the constant travel, the routine, the same check-in every week, looking for certain security lines that you know will move faster than others....hell I've even had some of the same flight crews. :p

12. CP10R

CP10R Im here to party!!

I used to love flying, but the more i do it the more paranoid i get lolol. The worst flight ive ever been on was flying from SD to Denver, coming over the mountains created a lot of turbulence:down:

13. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Flying out of John Wayne airport always made me feel a little odd when they go max throttle on take off.......and then throttle WAY back when going over the houses.

14. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

I'm kinda surprised they don't do a similar type thing coming out of San Diego, since they are taking off right over all the houses in Pt. Loma and Ocean Beach....Same sort of set-up I'd think.

15. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I have no problem whatsoever flying. Although I am probably biased since I test jet engines for a living. It is amazing what those things can be put through and keep on running. The one I am currently testing has been running 24/7 for most of this year with zero maintenance required and no issues. The last time I flew I looked out the window and saw the same model engine hanging there and figured since I was at the airport and I knew what the engines could do, the most dangerous part of my trip was over.

And actually if a jet engine is going to have a major failure, it will most likely be in the first few minutes at full power. Once you are at altitude and at cruising power the engines aren't working hard at all.

16. CP10R

CP10R Im here to party!!

damn all day and night for almost a whole year? thanks for the reassurance lol

17. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

You know it's funny; I could bicycle to the Scranton airport (AVP) in less than an hour (and it's all hills, mostly uphills), and I've only flown out of there three times. Philly, Baltimore and Reagan are just more convinent than trying to figure out when I can actually show up at Avoca.

For me, airplanes are for sleeping. I alway get a window sit put my head against the cool window and I'm out until we land. I slept from LAX to China. I think it's a nervous habit. If you try to talk to me, I'll have some sweet smelling morning breathe for you.

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Which is cool, except when you're at V1 and you have to go.

My personal experience flying indicates that local control more often is the problem with runway incursions. For example, we were on final - at night, to LaGuardia. Just past threshold, instead of touching down, it was full-throttle and back into the air. Turns out there was another aircraft crossing our runway which someone failed to hold. I saw its tail as we went over it.

Then there's the over-needy waste of space that has to ask a flight attendant for everything and wonders why his/her ass/belly/forearm is so damned huge ...

19. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

You must be a meatballer from Peebles.

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

The don't fly over Pt Loma per se... after wheels-up they bank right and go out over the southrn part of Mission bay and the tidal/flood area and northern OB. OB used to be low rent.....BTW.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010