1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Yamaha R1 Code 46

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wareaglegixxer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. wareaglegixxer

wareaglegixxer Ride it like you stole it

I had a code 46 on my 04 R1. I measured the resistance on the stator and found the resistance to be in the acceptable range. I checked the stator and battery wires leading to the regulator/rectifier (R/R) and didn't find any burnt leads or oxidation problems. I assumed it was the R/R so I replaced. The bike ran great for about 15 minutes and then quit working again with another code 46. I pulled the stator and generator assy and found that all the magnets were just sludge inside the rotor housing (found my charging problem-code 46). The stator still seems to be in good working condition and still measures the acceptable reistance. Right now I am left with a well-machinced rotor as a paper weight. I wonder if I can just get the magnet array and reattach them to the inside of the rotor or do I need to purchase a new rotor assy. Any advice would help.

This might look like th same post to some as the one I posted in the classifieds while looking for generator parts.....well it is, but there is a twist to this story.

I ordered all brand new generator parts for my bike (~$600). Rotor, Stator, Bearings, Gaskets, Bolts, O-rings...basically the whole shabang to replace the essentials to give me basically a brand new generator that would hoefully last me another 30k miles. 2 weekends ago, I finally recieved my parts, tore down the entire bike and replaced the old generator parts with the new ones I ordered. Lubed and greased each part and carefully put everything back together. Last night after riding, I turned off my bike and tried toi start it about 5 hours later. The bike would not start. Reminded me (the sound) of a dead battery. So I charged it all night. Got up for work, rode it to work (about 15 mins down the road). During my lunch break I went for some food in town. When i parked the bike, the engine light came on. the engine was struggling from the sound it was making. I left it on, because I wanted to see if I would get the deadly "Code 46" again. after about 3 minutes of trying to stay running, the bike finally died. No code on the screen. I was puzzled and new I had to push the bike down the road to the gas station to find an outlet to charge it (I carried a charger on me today, because I had a feeling that this was going to happen). Before pushing it down the road, I turned it on to see if it would start. As soon as I turned the key on....there it was, the dreaded "Code 46!" I haven't tore apart the generator again (yet), but I think what I am going to find is that the $600 I spen three weeks ago was a waste. I think what I am going to find is that somehow, The rotor and the stator made contact and the stator striped the rotor of its magnets (again!!!).

What could be the problem??? The stator sits stationery, attached to the generator cover while the rotor spins around it. There is a milled shaft in the center of the rotor that sits on a bearing on the inside of the bike and sits on a bearing attached tot he cover. So the rotor "rod" sits on bearings on two ends and spins around the stator. I really can't think of anything that would make the generator fail again. Any help or ideas on what went wrong would be great! I will let you know later what I found after pulling the generator cover. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. SASBK Justin

SASBK Justin Well-Known Member

We had an 05' with the same exact problem. We replaced everything you did and the bike is running fine. We did however pull the pan and clean the the pick up screen, pan and everything we could see. The 05' R1 had more damage than yours did and we were worried that all those little magnets that were chewed were floating around. We since have done an oil change 300 miles later and it didn't look to bad. We're gonna do at least two more in the next 600 miles. I think you might want to check your battery. Take it to a shop that can check motorcycle batterys. If the battery is charging but not holding the load than it's bad. LMK the outcome.

3. wareaglegixxer

Thanks for the advice. I haven't torn into the generator area yet. I hope that it is the battery! I will tear into it this week and post pictures. Thanks.

4. wareaglegixxer

Pulled the Generator Agian!!!

I pulled the generator yesterday and took some pics. As you can see from the pictures below, something broke loose and tore sh*t up. I have a copper wire on the stator that is cut in half and part of it is draped over the stator magnets. Another part of a magnet is totally dislogged. Then you take a look at the magnets in the rotor and they are all chipped and eaten up. The stator sits stationary in the housing as the rotor spins around it. I was very careful when installing the parts to make sure that there was no dirt or debris between the stator and the rotor. Something broke loose/chipped off when the rotor was spinning and chipped everything up. Do you thing Ron Ayers will take back and replace these two parts if I complain? They have only been on the bike less than 2 weeks. If they will not replace them, could I get the stator repaired? and the rotor magnets sanded/shaved?

Take a look at the pictures I have posted. Any advice thus far would help.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. wareaglegixxer

More Pics

More Pics

Attached Files:

6. wareaglegixxer

Last Batch

Last batch of pics

Attached Files: