1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3/4 ton vs 1 ton

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 22, 2010.

1. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

2. Thanks :up:

3. bus

bus Monkey with a football

Unloaded, the 1 ton will beat the snot out of you. IMO The 3/4 is much more civilized without weight in the back.

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

if you get the GMC you will like it. There are things I don't like, but it's cuz of what I did working for GM when I was there. My one big complaint is the interior. The leather (if you want to call it that) blows. Would expect more from a 50k+ truck

5. Yep. The "leather" in my new Avalanche is no better. The interior of my '07 Escalade EXT was better, but not what i would expect out of that kind of price tag.

6. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

the difference between the newer dodge 1 ton versus 3/4 in the single rear wheel is the overload spring in the rear. If you get a 3/4 and get the overload springs then you really have a 1 ton SRW. Same brakes, same axles, same everything except a 1 ton.

In 2003 dodge changed the axles from Dana axles to AAM axles which is why you couldn't get 3.55's anymore after 2003. In 2005 they changed from New venture transmissions to the Mercedes G56 transmission which made the manual trans trucks with the 3.73's rev up like the auto did with 4.10's. Only in 2008 did they start offering a 3.42 gear ratio again but to offset that, they all got new emmisions requirements in 2007 so the best model in my opinion is a 2006 or an early 2007 truck with the old motors. They get better mileage and the things like gear ratio can be swapped for less than the premium on the new trucks.

I have a 2007 3500 single rear wheel and I have a toy hauler and I regularly wish that I had the dually. every time I cross the scales I am at the weight limit of my rear tires or more again and again. I will be upgrading wheels and tires to match as soon as I can afford it, but you should plan for more load than you think you will have. My trailer has a 12,000 weight sticker but when I pulled it off the lot it and went 2 miles to the truck stop and weighed it, it was 14,000 off the lot. Then when I had it fully loaded it turned out to be around 17,400 to 17,600 with only a half tank of water and my bikes and tools in the back along with kitchen supplies and clothes and such. They get heavy quickly so make sure you are prepared. I can't say as much about the duramax other than if you put a programmer on it, 400hp is about all those Allison transmissions can handle and they tell you that up front. They are way expensive to build when they do go. That and injectors tend to get eaten up if you don't keep good fuel filters in them.

I looked for my crew cab long bed single rear wheel for a long time because I bought the truck before I decided to buy a RV. Once I got the RV, there isn't much of the time when I am hooked to it that I don't wish I had the dually honestly. I won't pay the premium to get it since I can convert mine for much cheaper than trading trucks (Mine's paid for) so when my factory tires are gone, I will either convert to a dually or put 19.5 wheels and tires on it to increase my load capacity.

Hope this helps

7. luckyhat12

The thing that drew me to Dodge over Chevy was the inline motor and the solid front axle. I really like both of those features for what I use my truck for but I totally miss the interior of my 1500 silverado. I think I'll eventually modify my seats to something more comfy but I'm still recovering from paying it off so I deal with it.

Regarding the 19.5 wheels and tires, they make them for chevrolet too so if you decide to get the 2500 and need more capacity you can put airbags and 19.5's on there when you are towing and get the same capacity as the 1 ton dually. They range from $240-$500 a wheel and the tires are from $150-$500 each so they can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to go. IT all depends on what your needs are when the loads get heavier.

I hope you enjoy whatever you purchase.

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I ordered my half ton to be the best at towing that it could be. 3.92 gears, tranny cooler, PS cooler, short bed single cab (light weight). Added HD brakes and better tires and it works beautifully. I wanted the 3/4 but went with the 1/2 since I drive 300-500 miles a week not towing while visiting clients.

I know this has nothing to do with the OP post but I need to warm my typing fingers up.

9. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I got the 3/4 ton for the better ride and put air bags on it for when I tow something really heavy.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

My '01 2500 Ram SB Ext cab rode waaaay more harsh than my '03 3500 SRW Ram LB Club cab. Wheelbase makes a huge difference in the comfort of the ride unloaded.

One other :up: about the heavy springs is the truck corners like a sports car (or at least I like to think it does :D )

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My Mega Cab really likes to have a trailer behind it. The long wheelbase helps, but ubnloaded it rides rough as a 3/4 ton. Can't imagine a 1 ton. I do wish the gear ration was a bit shorter as my 6x12 fully loaded falls in between the rev ranges.

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

170K on my GMC, duramax, allison 3/4....one set of front pads is all I've needed. Not towing all the time but have logged some pretty decent miles pulling some good sized loads....

13. puckwhore

puckwhore Well-Known Member

My 04 ram dually rides like my old lady when its empty but throw 4 tons of rock in the back it's like a caddy and still gets 24 mpg. Other than being the toughest damn truck I've ever seen, it's not much for creature comforts. Chevy has got them blown out of the water in comfort.

Then again, I guess 470000 miles and minimal repairs are a decent trade off for non heated leather and an automatic.

I think you be fine with the 3/4 ton. We pulled a 10x50 office trailer with pops 3/4 and it did fine.

14. luckyhat12

My rig is almost the same as Duggrams's only a different company. I have firestone airbags and an exhaust brake and it makes all the difference in the world.

In addition I bought an air ride hitch for mine that makes towing a dream. I got it for less than half price when I bought it used but I have to say that it is one of 3 things that if it were stolen I'd go out and buy another one at full price for. It is amazing how much better it is towing with an air ride hitch rather than the solid ones.

15. kangasj

kangasj Banned