Pirelli dragon supercorsa pro or michelin pilot power one?

Discussion in 'General' started by blankwall, Sep 8, 2010.

1. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

Im getting into the sport of racing next spring. Trying to get all my stuff together now so im 100% ready. I have a 2003 sv650. I have seen the pirellis for $315 a set and have seen the michelins for $360 a set. I know the pirellis are an older tire but are they still good? Which would you want to race with?

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Pirelli Pro is brand new tire and works amazingly good. It lasts longer than any tire I have ridden on while maintaining same grip. The one on my bike right now has 6hr at Miller (we won that race) and 5 track days.

3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I was informed the other day that they still make new production Dragons. This is directly from the Pirelli guy.

4. Bluenvy

Bluenvy Well-Known Member

i just switched to the power ones after being die hard pirelli and im LOVING the switch

i've seen power one sets on ebay for 230 as well.

5. 178SV

178SV now retired...

If I had to choose between expert opinions... I would definitely go with Zoran(TWF2)

6. TWF2

Actually I think I am talking about different tire, Diablo Pro. Which is one I used.
    I did not try dragon pro.

7. blankwall

8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Zoran, have you tried the new SC3 180 DOT? Grips almost like a 1 but seems to last like a 2.

9. TWF2

I did, like sc2 better.

10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I usually run sc1/front and sc2/rear (not racing, just track days),
    would love to give Michelin's race rubber a try too.

11. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Zoran, are you sure it was a 2010 SC3? I have never heard anyone say they liked the 2 over a new 3...:confused:

12. TWF2

No, not sure what date is on it, probably 09.
    Tires last me couple seasons so I may not be up to latest stuff that came out month ago :)

13. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Unbiased opinion---- You can't go wrong w/ either one.

Also, buy from the racetrack vendor.

14. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Guys went real fast on the Pro's back in 2006.

As for the Diablo's I like the old sc2 better then the new sc3 also. But I'm slow.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  15. Nicati

Nicati Well-Known Member

Ran Surercorsa pros couple years ago and loved umm. I'm going back but this time I'll try the slick and I'll try the dragons out.
    Yeah make sure you buy from a vendor dealing with power ones or power race. Otherwise you might not get the real race tire. If the deal is real cheap thats probly why.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

After a 7 year break, I started racing SV650s this year. I was always a Dunlop guy but their lack of compounds in a DOT 160 forced me to switch. I went with the Michelin Power One Race V ft/ B rr. Grip is awesome but I wish the rear was a bit more durable. Like posted previously, you can't go wrong with either brand.

And buy them at the track from your local tire vendor!!!

17. blankwall

Yeah the dragons r from a trackside vendor and the those michelins r from a reputable race tore dealer

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The Pro is a great tire. Like ARK said, same ones we raced on a few years ago.

Correct also on the latest SC3 rear being a better / more recent tire compared to the SC2.

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

tires are not like the bike.. your gonna need more than 1 (as in gonna need a few sets a year). Buy a set of each and try em! See what YOU think and base the decision on how they feel, how they last, if your fast enough to finish top 5 how much more you will make in contingency cash with one over the other, etc. Everyone has a favorite for various reasons, otherwise there would likely be only one mfg. making motorcycle tires.