1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antifreeze

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rd400racer, Aug 24, 2010.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

As a long time biker I'm ashamed to ask this question but keep in mind most of my bikes have been air-cooled. I took my CBR900RR to a track day recently and dumped the antifreeze out for safety reasons. Now I need to put some back in and don't have a clue what type is bike friendly. They all might be but I figured I would ask first.

2. HAYSTACK

HAYSTACK UP YORN

why not just use some engine ice, so you dont have to keep dumping the anti-freeze out and you wont have to worry about your bike freezing.

3. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

regular 50/50 mix is fine (prestone, etc.)

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Depends on whose trackdays you attend! Tdub

5. HAYSTACK

HAYSTACK UP YORN

I guess, but Ive never had a prob...fig most organizations allowed it.

6. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

STT allows it in Novice only...Nesba does not allow it in A or expert...Bargy doesnt allow it in any class, nor does WERA...Tdub

7. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

If I use this formula can keep it like that for the winter or should I just leave it with Prestone, and can I run the engine with this antifreeze, I'm asking for winterized reasons.... I haved left them with only water over the winter but I dint know it could do damage to the engine, I been ok in the last 2 winters but I don't want to risk it.... Thanks in advanced.:up:
    Yeap, NESBA doesn't allow it in "A" group

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  8. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

From STT's track day regs.

6) Advanced and Intermediate group riders must use water, water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. Automotive ethyl glycol based coolants are not allowed.

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Yeh I point I could not understand as it is the Glycol that is the slippery chit and a bitch to clean up. Especially Evans which is basically almost pure glycol. I think if you have a track only bike, use WW...is better for everyone. JMO Tdub

10. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yea, IMO, its asinine to let ANY glycol based stuff allowed, i dont give a damn WHAT group your in. I mean, WTF? Novice/Int. are out there riding the same damn track Advanced does. I guess if THEY crash, it wont leave a slick spot. :down: I think its more about the benjamins and making sure you sell out your novice/int groups with street guys who are either too lazy or lack the common sense ability to pull a friggin radiator hose and dump the slick stuff.

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Todd, I don't think it so much about the money than just plain making it easy for the first timers. Same with the SW requirements and such. Of all the trackdays I have attended in the last few years, I have never seen or been checked othewr than,"what ya got in the rad". But like I said, I would like to see all track dedicated bikes, either race or just TD, held to more stringent controls. I can see letting the street bikes slide somewhat...JMO Tdub

12. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

Any that are safe for aluminum blocks...the kind without silicates, I believe.

13. ToddClark

you'll think that right up till one of your riders goes down and either gets hurt and/or you have to rebuild a bike because of that shit.

I see where your coming from, but, yanno what? They may be first timers, but, they cant get on the track without leathers now can they? Without boots, can they? Without gloves, can they? Sorry, but thats a shitty argument. First timers getting on the track should look and see what all the requirements are. If getting rid of the anti freeze is a requirement, then they should just add that to the list of things they need to do in order to get on the track. Afterall man, we're not talking about something that is JUST affecting THEIR safety, this is something that effects EVERY person riding that day. If it ever happens at one of the events im at, i'll be sure and point out the guy that left the glycol on the pavement to folks and let them know that if they want to bitch about why the money they paid to ride with is being thrown out the window due to clean up, there he is. :)

Sad thing is, no matter how well you clean up glycol, there is gonna be a slick spot there for a day or two.

14. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Don't forget to used distilled water if you use 50/50 and mix it yourself.

15. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

I've been doing track days and schools for eleven years and I've never drained my coolant.

If you have a Honda car dealership nearby get Honda Type II coolant. It's good stuff that's premixed and only $11 a gallon. I use it in all of my bikes. Well, except the RD.:)

16. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Ok, Todd at the next trackday you work, I want to see you check everyone that passes thru tech on what they have in their rad. Don't get me wrong...I agree with you on the principles, but it isnt enforced very well. And while we are at it, EVERY bike on track should have a belly pan, right??? Tdub

17. mlysung

mlysung Active Member

and every oil filter needs to be wired :D

18. ToddClark

LOL, dont you think it SHOULD be enforced? Personally, i look at whats in the overflow. Could they "cheat" and put WW in there to "get by"?, sure they could, but if they crash and its they dump glycol, its no different than breaking any other rule thats been set in place. They blatantly break that rule, at a minimum, their day is done with no refund, maximum, they wont be allowed to ride with us again. And yes, every bike SHOULD have a belly pan, but thats a whole nuther' argument. :D We're cool Tryce, i know youre getting all that free tracktime, ya gotta defend the org. :D

Bottom line, its a safety issue. I mean seriously, all these orgs preach "safety" with their little novice classroom instruction, no bumping up till your approved, ect. All that crap is in the name of "safety". Something as simple as requiring all groups to abide by the same rules shouldnt be that hard to do.

19. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Like I said, we have no argument over the principles, just how they are enforced.

20. ToddClark

youve got a PM Tryce. :up: