Are The Ford 6.0 Diesels That Bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by RollieManollie, Aug 22, 2010.

1. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I've searched the forums high and low and just wanted to throw it out there one more time. I want to buy a Ford diesel van and noticed a bunch of deals on the 2004-2005's. Should I stick with looking for a 7.3 or are the 6.0's not that bad? Just want to hear your opinions one more time and I appreciate it!

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

EArly 6.0s were bad. 02-05 I think it is.

from late 05 to 09? or whenever they swapped, they fixed most of the issues as far as I know

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Early 6.0's had more problems, so I'd look for an 05 or later. I love my 04.

FWIW, there are way more on the road than any other truck.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My nephew has an 04 F450 with a 6.0. At 106k the motor needed replaced, don't know the details, something about injectors....$13,995 later it runs fine!:down:

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They don't tolerate modifications very well from what I understand. Keep them at stock power levels and do the regular services and they are fine.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Mine runs good thus far.

Make sure you drain the water seperator.

7. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

They got the CPU and some other engine issues updated in the 05 an later. I had an 05 and it was great for almost 200k miles. Stick with an 05-07 and you should be fine.

Take it easy on the mods for sure as these will blow your head gaskets. If you do get a tuner go with one that tunes the transmission like a Spartan.

8. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I've owned an 08 F250 with the 6.4L for a month now. Based on what I know of the 6.4L Ford Diesel motor, I would suggest you buy a Dodge with a Cummins.

9. kmac

kmac Well-Known Member

Got a 2004 6.0 with 98,000 miles and no troubles. I have an SCT tuner and it works great, got it mostly for the custom tow tune. It will run like a scalded dog on the custom street tune, but I mostly keep my foot out of it. My brother who is a Ford tech told me if you get pass 80,000 with no problems your golden, I sure hope he is right.

10. Dizzle

Dizzle Well-Known Member

They have their issues, but what motor doesn't? Like said before if you keep them stock they are very solid.

11. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

The one in the van is detuned compared to the trucks, so might not be as big of an issue. They detune them for the vans due to less cooling capability in the vans

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

6.4's are pretty good after the Job 1's. The Cummins is an awesome motor, too bad they wrap it in a Dodge though. The one thing I think Ford screwed up on with the 6.4's is you have to take the whole damn cab off if anything major goes down. At least a Cummins you can just pop the hood and do most of the work in your garage.

13. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

If you have Ford Diesel questions call Jake at the shop. He was a Ford Diesel Tech before he came to work for us this summer. 888-784-4327

14. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I have a 6.0 in an Excursion. Good truck.

Minor problems with a lazy tech last month, and a cracked water reservoir, plus a leaky fuel filter house on top of the motor. $3k for EGR Valve/EGR Cooler/Oil Cooler at 122k miles (and this one I blame the lifetime oil change with dino, not synth we got with a local shop, I think we pushed it a little too far between changes and got varnish in the oil cooler).

Other than that, tires and batteries (Arizona kills batteries within 2 years, period).

15. earacing

earacing Race Dad

I have a 2004 F250 6.0 with 93K that I bought new. I just spent 2,800 to replace the oil cooler, egr cooler, and radiator. Before that about 4,000 in warrantee work to replace the turbo and some other parts. Before that 1,200 to repair some electronics inside the tranny, not warranteed.

I wish I had bought a Dodge, but at the time they didn't have the full crew cab.

16. LBKING

LBKING Well-Known Member

Allison - Duramax FTW

17. random hero

random hero Banned

Owned 3 F-250's, 2 of which had the 6.0L motors.... I had NOTHING BUT ISSUES, my 04 had transmission troubles, and replaced EGR cooler replaced w/in 25k miles, I sold the truck... Like a dumbass I bought a left over 2006, it literally broke down 30 miles from the dealer, and was downhill from there. Within 40k miles, I had replaced: EGR cooler TWICE, new turbo, head gaskets, new intercooler. Both trucks were bone stock, used for minor towing, mostly highway driving.

From my first hand experience after driving cummins, duramax and powerstroke, towing, highway driving the powerstroke was the weakest motor out of the bunch. Besides the problems I had, my two trucks were a dog compared to the other 2 brands. Granted the most popular diesel vans are fords, but I personally will never own another diesel ford in my life, even if I walked outside right now and one was in my driveway.

18. Ssack55

Ssack55 Well-Known Member

I had an 03 7.3 (Truck) and it was great, I only sold it because I got a new 2011 Super Duty. The 6.0 issues are basicly what is mentioned above. Some were/are great and some are duds, it's a crap shoot! If you can find a nice van with the 7.3 go with that over the 6.0 but you will prob pay the same price for an older 7.3 vs newer 6.0 since the 7.3 is so desirable these days. Good luck!!

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Sorry about your luck. I have a 2006 6.0 with about 45k on the ODO. The only major thing I had go wrong so far was the turbo housing. Not sure what that is but it threw a code and needed to be replaced. I didn't notice anything wrong with the truck, just a light went on. Other than that it is my second Ford diesel and I love it!

20. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I am a diesel tech on larger trucks and buses. All egr'd diesels are going to have problems with the egr. The egts are too high and tax the egr to much. That said, with the 6.0 if you turn it up put arp head studs in it and it will be fine. I drove a 6.0 excursion for a while set at 750 HP, and had 175k on it. Was fine other then the egr cooler. But we are having serious problems at work with those on the larger diesels as well.