Best Track Day Club at NJ MSP?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by FED34FIRE, Aug 13, 2010.

1. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

I ride soley with TPM, but I am sure any of the other major TD groups that run NJMSP are just as good. It seems that NJMSP brings out the boneheads, so no matter what org you ride with it seems pretty hard to keep the crashes down.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

I've only ridden with NESBA and they are great, but I also hear great things about Tony's Track Days and Absolute.

3. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

Hank,
    Sounds good, I'm there...:up: It's T-Bolt now? Hey, I'll take it...:clap:

4. ED_006

ED_006 Well-Known Member

TPM, and Absolute are good. During the week would be my suggestion. Weekends get packed for all clubs.

5. Mustang

Mustang TonysTrackDays Instructor

Tony's is a great organization, but I may be a little biased :p I've ridden with several different orgs (Elite, STT, BoMo, Absolute, TTD) and you can probably guess which one is my favorite now. That being said, while our Blue ("fast") group has plenty of fast guys (many of our staff are racers too), an Expert class racer could possibly feel Blue is a bit slow. All depends on your speed/knowledge of the track, vs. that of the other customers that day.

Best advice would be to give TTD a shot sometime. We'll be at T'bolt August 30-31, then again Sept 26, with Lightning Sept 27 :up:

6. slowmo

slowmo Well-Known Member

Since you're an expert racer, you're best bet is NESBA or Absolute. You will find the fastest and most predictable riders with these two groups.

Neither one will oversell their advanced group and maintain high standards with their A group which you have to be bumped to and cannot just sign up as advanced unless you are an expert racer.

There are other good clubs out there and each one has it's own benefits, but if you want to avoid speed differentials of 15-20 seconds / lap, stick with the two above.

7. 2001chromo

2001chromo Well-Known Member

Anyone can have good/bad days with any org.
    Absolute is who I've been doing days with for the past 2 years the most, since NJMP opened. I also do days with/have done days with STT / Fishtail, TTD, CSS, NYSB & TPM.

I know a few people including myself that made google calendars for the dates available this season and which org was running it.
    Maybe NJMP will do a calendar of what org has which dates for 2011 cause it's a PITA for any/most of us to keep track of it since there are so many orgs doing days. <-- crackhead idea?

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've only done NJMP w/ TPM. I've heard that Absolute is also real good. Like some others have said it may also depend on what your level is. I would say if you are a beginner Tony's Track Days caters to a decidedly more beginner pace in their lower group. And conversely something like NESBA if you are a racer and want to back it down a notch from racing and just want to enjoy the track time.

9. froggert

froggert Well-Known Member

it's already on their website. click on "events" then go to calendar. :beer:

10. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Another question;

What kinda of tires do you guys run? I ran Dunlop DOT Race and Slicks with WERA. Race tires have no preservitives so they go bad just sitting and you have to watch the heat cycles. Use your tire warmers smart to get the most out of a set. Does anyone make an actual track day tire that holds up like a street tire but gives better grip? I saw something like that by Pirrelli on thier web site but, I never liked there tires.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Pirelli's new Diablo Rosso Corsa will hold up. I have buddies that run them in TPM Red and Blue groups and no complaints.

I have Dunlop Q2's on right now and they work great too. As long as you're not trying to set record breaking laps they give great grip and decent mileage from what I've been able to tell.

12. FED34FIRE

Exactly. Just want to have fun. Like I said, race tires will go bad just sitting. Track days can be expensive and you never know when your gonna be able to get to one. I always liked Dunlops. Ran the 211' Last season, medium compound DOT Race. Great tires. My other favorites were thier 209 Race, and slicks, both soft and medium. You could really rail into corners on those.

Thanks. :up:

13. KneeScraper

KneeScraper I'm a new Dad!!!

Roger Lyle's MotorcycleXcitement puts on great track days. Roger runs all of his track days during the week, Monday through Fridays, so many times, the groups aren't all that full. If you have time off during the week, his schedule is great!

Plenty of track time with not many riders on the track. Roger has a racer group as well, so you can sign up in the racer group with a race license.

http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com/

14. Mustang

Mustang TonysTrackDays Instructor

You're right - Pirelli has a Diablo Superbike Pro, which is essentially a trackday slick...and a Dragon Supercoursa, which is essentially a trackday DOT tire I believe. The MTAG guys should have some more info on them both, but I know Tony runs the Superbike Pro's and gets multiple TDs out of them. I want to say >6 days with no warmers. Hopefully he'll chime in with some better info...

15. UberRacing

UberRacing Well-Known Member

I've only rode with Absolute here on the E.Coast, good enough to me. Friendly people and enough track time. Like any Org some days are better than others.

16. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

All the track day orgs are about the same, as far as bone heads and bad days it just depend on the day and who shows up. (i've had good and bad with every group) I choose my track days based on what days fits my sechedule best I don't care realy who runs the day.

17. FED34FIRE

18. ttd

ttd Member

As far as Pirelli's go, I've been getting 6+ days out of a set. The trackday tires seem to warm up within 1/2 lap while the race ones take a full lap (I don't use warmers).

As far as events go, we definitely gear ourselves to the beginning track rider, and go up as far as the fast rider that values safety and track time over lap times.

In other words, a fast rider might encounter some slower riders in the Advanced group... and may have to wait a second or two before passing.

Conversely, we generally have minimal downtime due to crashes... simply because our average rider is more concerned with safety and learning and may not be pushing as hard as you see at some other days.

As I always say... it's a great time to be a trackday rider. Try a few different organizations and find the one that fits you best. :beer:

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com