1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from Road to Dirty bikes...

Discussion in 'General' started by Six3SixGal, Aug 12, 2010.

1. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

broken wrist, right foot, clavicle, some ribs, punctured my spleen, kidney,c7 vertebra,both knees,knocked out on occasion....would i live through it again??
    HELL YES!

2. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

and a leatt....!

3. MarkClow

MarkClow Well-Known Member

I moved over from Wera to Hare Scrambles and haven't regretted it for a second.

$35 for a 2 hour race with some really good racing rocks!

My problem is that I have an 08 KTM 200XC and I made the mistake of trying a 2011 KTM 250SXFi - damnit - I want one!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

NO DOUBT +1 on the cheapness of it.

I had been off dirt for about 8 years when I recently got back into it. Went to get new tires for the bike I bought, and when she rung me up at like $90 I was like "for BOTH?". Then I bought all new gear, head to toe....... for like $300-$400 maybe? and was like "For ALL of it?" :lmao

And cant beat the friday night races for like $25. Three motos and two practice sessions.

5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

sorry about the size of the photo above. I just copied a link from another forum, where it wasn't so huge.:eek:

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

why? (not a smartass, I know nearly nothing about dirt riding. I ride a 200 KTM as well.)

7. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Then you really need to try supermoto!!!:up:

8. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I'm with Foo. I too tried the wisdom of "I just want to use it to get better on the road race bike" philosophy. No jumps for me!! About the 6th time I rode my bike, it was in an MX race at the local track. Wrecked twice, and still didn't come in last!

Sadly, before I was able to race in another race (coming up in Sept) my bike was stolen.

Chaotic, you're going to wind up racing it.

Katie, get inland marine insurance on your bike. Renters/Home Owners doesn't cover it. I wish I had found that out before mine got stolen.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

Here is Einstein's Theory of Relativity converted to use for dirt bikes. It can be written in one of two ways as the word "broken" must be placed in the equation, but can be placed on either side:

Broken Dirt Bike = Good Bones^2

or

Dirt Bike = Good Broken Bones^2

Be prepared for some of the best fun you've ever had on two wheels.

10. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

I didn't start riding dirt until I was 35. I'm not that good at it. But sliding and throwing the bike around is fun.
    And what others have said about moving your body around on the bike is key.

11. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

I just started riding dirt for the first time and i'm 26 !! been riding street/track since I was 16; always wanted to try dirt but just never had the opportunity or really knew anyone that rode. finally got a killer deal on a 1999 kx250 2-stroke (i tried my buddies 4-stroke, but I ended up preferring the 2-stroke power more. harder to ride, but more fun IMO, and less maintenance cost). and man i've been having a blast at the MX track !! you are going to LOVE IT!! and @Chaotic, I said I wouldn't jump too, but when you're there you're gonna want to 4sure!! just start small and don't rush. I didn't crash at all my first few days, but more recently i've been upping my corner speed and experimenting with backing it in, brake sliding (rear), and powersliding and have had a few lowsides the past few times i went. i just broke a clutch lever ($10 at the track), the rest of the bike not a scratch on it, and i am fine physically. if i had crashed my sportbike three times, I would probably have to add a couple zeros to that $10 , and probably way more :D

to the OP, read "Pro Motocross and Off-Road Riding Techniques" by Gary Semics, this book is fantastic for technique and will save you from a lot of injuries early on!!! GL and have fun!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. random hero

random hero Banned

I'm with most people, switching from pavement to dirt is damn hard. It's an uneasy feeling tucking the front often, having so much less grip. I'm a lot worse on dirt, but use it for "training" I try to go ride every weekend, because it's a WORKOUT. It's super physically demanding, riding 10 minutes is 5x harder than doing a 30 minute endurance race (though it's still not as bad as playing soccer... sarcasm). I'll say it's a good way to get in shape, but falling down and the chances of getting hurt are def. there.

Spend the $$$ on a good helmet (about half as much as a roadrace helmet)
    Pickup a good neck brace and knee braces.

13. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Same experience. I don't do MX, or at least roll anything I think I can get hurt on. Woods riding here is super technical and tons of fun. Didn't have much trouble adapting.

Get DirtWise DVD and do the drills described there. They really work. I believe doing the drill with locking up the front wheel helped me save a front tuck a few times on pavement too.

For me the biggest thing when starting was to learn to use my legs and torso for balance on the bike and not hold on with my arms. Once I learned to anticipate braking and acceleration and move my body such that I end up balanced just standing on footpegs, it got a lot easier to progress.

Also get quality boots, neck brace is a good idea too. For me having boots with a hinge around the ankle area (SIDI) made learning a lot easier, cheaper boots are usually so stiff it is very hard to adapt to using controls with almost no feel or ankle movement.

But lately I get almost the same kick out of freeride/DH mountain biking, way cheaper still and I end up riding a lot more often.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Don't go out and get hammered on margaritas the night before a race.

Yesterday was a long day! :eek:

15. Rem6a

Rem6a WCR Racer

Almost every Sunday 30miles (give or take) of loamy sand single track. Hit an Enduro every once in a while to ride new trail for $40 and 80+ miles. Really good time, especially when Paul Allison attempts hydroplaning mini ponds on a Honda 250F pinned in 5th gear. Almost made it…

16. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

I cant wait!! anyone have a crank and /or cases for an 07 crf250!?

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

18. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Hand it to Steve Long at Speedwerks in Dover. He is a scrounger without peer.

:)

19. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Cases...find used (in great-mint shape). Crank...buy new or properly rebuilt!

20. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

Hey Katie. I've been thinking on doing the same. I took Cornerspin class last year to see if I would like it and well.... I LOVE IT.

Whatever you do you will kick butt at it and have a blast doing it. Maybe we should go do cornerspin together :)

Good luck and again thanks for VIR :)