1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the right time to get a new racebike?

Discussion in 'General' started by drew231506, Jul 17, 2010.

1. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

So I'd like to hear everyones opinions on the +/- of when to upgrade your race bike.

Here is my situation. 2006 Gsxr-600, stock engine, 106hp. All setup for me, it's the only sportbike I've ever ridden. I know how to work on it, bunch of spare parts, paid for...etc. Amateur this year, will be Expert next year.

If I race next year, I'm considering either building this bike's motor, or upgrading to a newer bike already setup race bike. Financially, prolly keeping this bike is best...and what I'm leaning towards. Even though the value of the bike will continue to drop. Not that it's worth all that much now, despite the money, time, blood, sweat, and tears I've put into this thing.

Oh also chime in about buying an already set up bike vs setting it up yourself.

2. CycleWorx Inc.

CycleWorx Inc. Well-Known Member

The only thing I can say is, who cares if the value of the bike continues to drop? That being said, IMO, I would keep it and run your first year of expert on it since you know the bike and are comfortable on it. Take it for what its worth...

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

My answer:

When is the right time to buy a racebike?

When motive and opportunity come together.

Right now, it'd be nuts to buy new parts to put on a bike. At the end of the season, there'll be a flood of 2-yr old 600s with forks, shocks, and pipe. Grab one of those, and you're a few thousand bucks ahead of the game.

There's some good 600's out there right now, too, even on the WERA classifieds of all places...

4. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Stick with what you got. Maybe do a little motor work if you want, but unless you really want a new bike, why spend the money? An 06 gsxr600 is perfectly competitive.

5. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i would work with what you have and buy a motoX or supermoto to train on with the money you save if you don't already have one.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Keep what you have. The 06/07 Models are'nt hardly different enough to make it worth your while.

Race it your first expert season so that your not thrown to the wolves and learning a new piece of machinery. Then you can pick up a current model at the end of the season and keep your 06 as a back up.

7. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Keep wringing it out of your '06. The fun is RIDING not building or spending.

Plus, with all due respect (and now I can say whatever I want and you can't get mad because I said "with all due respect"), however fast you/it are going now...I'll bet you/it can go faster without appreciably changing the bike....which means..... My 2 pennies.

8. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Well of course IT can...with someone more skilled on board. I do want a lil more motor...just so i dont have any excuses. ;-)

9. grantourin_90

grantourin_90 Well-Known Member

Put 08/09 bodywork on it and call it a day

10. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

keep what you got for going expert the first year. You're on something you're familiar with then. Throw on a TTX and 25mil kit if you don't have one? Maybe a little motor work and go have some fun

11. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

A racebike isn't an investment, It's a money pit. If you're comfotable with that philosophy, then waste away your money.
    I still race a 2000 750 and a dinasour FZR 600. You can see my choice.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Psychology 101 says wanting is more than having.

13. <im with stupid>

You will have enough going through your head on your first Expert grid, you don't need the bike to be a variable. Stick with what you know.

The Suzuki's haven't changed much since '04. In other words, your riding enjoyment (and lap times) will not change on a newer bike.

Assuming your suspension is sorted, get a SS engine build. Then you will have the bike you know and love, plus more power. Then like Jessie said, throw on some '08 bodywork and it will be like a new bike. :)

14. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

What do you have for forks and the rear shock? Who set it up?

Tell us about the rest of your bike: dyno time, exhaust, PC, the stuff that matters.

Also, what are your results so far and what is your goal?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  15. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

lol

I put 2008+ 10R bodywork on my 2004. Much cheaper than buying a new bike!!!

haha

16. grantourin_90

grantourin_90 Well-Known Member

For the record 08/09 bodywork(atleast race glass) is a direct bolt on, on an 06/07.

17. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Ok. I have Traxxion internals in the forks. I constantly mess with the front end but i think i have a decent setup now. I have a Penske shock and with a stiffer spring it has worked great, havent touched it in a while.

Been dyno tuned (106hp), Bazzaz, Full exhaust.

Results so far:

[​IMG]

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Keep it Drew. I am going to drop a little money in my 06 in the off season to refresh the engine. That and the 105.21 hp (Had it dynoed yesterday) mine makes seems pitiful, in the expert class. :D
    The nuts and bolts of it is there is hardly any difference between the 06-10 GSXR 600's. Almost all the parts are interchangeable so there is a ton of spares to keep you racing next year. Besides I want to race against you next year. :D

19. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Keep it! Refresh the motor and do some minor work to it. I've got a thinner head gasket if you are interested.

20. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Keep it. You are doing very good so far it seems, and i dont think the bike is holding you back.

If you have any doubt about your suspension abilities pay someone to help you set it up at the track.

Think about a good valve job and some dyno time. What'd that run, maybe $1500??

Then you'll all your bases covered for next year with out stressing out your bank manager. And you can focus on you riding.

Start saving now for next season and the purchase of a top level bike in Fall of 2011.