Back protectors

Discussion in 'General' started by NewRacer, Mar 16, 2001.

1. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

1. I am not hear to defame any 1 company.
    2. Stop me if this was already discussed, but I didnt see it when I did a search.
    3. I did read JU's article in Jan.

I need to order mine yesterday and am leaning towards the Knox(the CE thing) but wondered what others thought/suggest.

BTW, I want a full-size back protector.

Thanks All,

Brandon

2. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

What's to discuss? If you want a full-coverage back protector, you got two choices, Knox or Bohn.

If you want genuine certified CE, you got Knox.

They have two theories of protection. Bohn uses rubber foam padding which, well, pads an impact. Knox uses plastic honeycomb, which collapses to absorb energy from an impact.

If you don't care/know much about CE, you're back to two choices, Knox or Bohn. Maybe you should decide by available color, or what your favorite dealer has in stock.

And hey, I didn't set out to favor one or the other in that comparison. I talked to both guys and listened to what they said, looked at all the related printed material and FAXes and e-mails from both that I had accumulated over a 12-month period, and then I took apart a Bohn back protector (had Barnacle Bill sew it back together later). Then I wrote up everything I had found out. That was about the most completely and carefully-researched back protector comparison you're likely to see anyplace.

Chances are that you'll get good service out of either one. Let your personal preference decide.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

"RRW reports; you decide."

Kinda like Fox News Channel ... :)

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I use a Bohn. The one thing I don't like is that the hard plastic buckles (or whatever these adjusters are called) on the shoulder straps rest right against my clavicles. I think that under the "perfect" crash circumstance, that could hurt. But it's more about me being built like a Q-Tip than a product defect, I think.
    I'll hold final judgement until I manage to get myself back into a gym. Been a few years...

5. Wera#124

Wera#124 Well-Known Member

John..being too lazy to dig through the back issues...does the foam recover after impact or is it a one time use ?? (only by CE specifications...)

Thiam1....get rid of the buckles and sew it together or replace w/velcro just as an idea. Did it on my last one.

6. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Thanks. You'd think I'd think of that myself...
    I'll take it to someone tomorrow.

7. julrich

Dudes, I covered that in the review, even had photos of the Velcro I had Barnacle Bill replace the buckles with. The buckles are high on the Bohn--as opposed to low on the Knox--I'd guess because he was trying to make it a little different.

The foam used in the Bohn is like regular foam, it comes back after impact, and doesn't stay collapsed.

I guess the big question is, will the foam absorb as much impact as the honeycomb. No big deal in a regular crash, but potentially an issue in The Big One.

8. Wera#124

Wera#124 Well-Known Member

Ain't exactly rocket science [​IMG]

9. Shane417

Shane417 I Need A Job!!!!

10. julrich

Yeah, I can't believe that Papa didn't think of it. It's the obvious solution after having those hard plastic buckles dig into collarbones, especially when said collarbones are all lumpy from being broken too many times.

11. julrich

That Spidi protector looks pretty good. They should have used a chick to model it, though.

12. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Now I remember telling myself I should do that after I read the review. But then I gave up on going to Daytona, and didn't think of it again when I found a ride for the bike...

13. kulddy

kulddy Well-Known Member

John you need to test this Sidi unit, it looks as if it offers more protection and looks like something form Alien. I like it. Was all set to get a Knox , but I am still unclear, one hit and no good - like a helmet?
    I agree about the girl, but did they have to get a guy from the buns of steel exercise video?
    kd

14. julrich

It would have be a monster hit, sort of like the one that turned CU's Dianese white in places and broke his ribs, because the honeycomb in the Knox is pretty stout. I have a sample piece on my desk. So yeah, if you hit something really really hard or get run over, I guess it's a throw-away, but in that type of wreck they're probably gonna cut your leathers off you anyway so what's a back protector if it does its job?

[This message has been edited by julrich (edited 03-16-2001).]

15. smknjoe

smknjoe Well-Known Member

Where did you get the spidi airback and how much do they cost? I know LP has them, but I didn't see a price on their site.

16. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

I can't believe no-one commented about the Spidi's "anti-intrusion shield." May be just the thing to sleep in during those nights spent camping at Summit. Never know about those WVA locals. [​IMG]

17. Shane417

Shane417 I Need A Job!!!!

ROTFLMFAO!! Too damn funny [​IMG]

Where did you get the spidi airback and how much do they cost? I know LP has them, but I didn't see a price on their site.

I got my local race shop to order it from LP.
    I don't know how much it was. I think it retailed for about $150 or so.

18. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

After having thuroughly tested the Knox back protector at Road-Atlanta in Oct, I have to say it's a top-notch piece of equipment and really recommend it.

I lost the front end of my TZ125 in T12, hit the bails feet first, then hit the wall back first (there are nifty concrete imprints on my leathers... really sureal, like silly putty). The knox is flat as a pancake, having done it's job, and a replacement has been purchased.

The thing probably saved me from a broken back. The crash knocked me out cold for a bit and the memory bank is still lacking a couple days, but I didn't break a single bone. Ask around... it was an ugly crash. Not ONE damn picture though [​IMG]

Anyway... best $175 I ever spent, and I was happy to spend it again on a new one.

- Roach

19. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Can't really comment on the "locals", since the panhandle people are just a little bit off, but there are normal people around here...well somewhat normal anyway.

20. NewRacer

NewRacer Tina! Come get some ham!

Wow....lots of responses. I should hvae stayed on here.

I agree John, great reviews of both protectors. I was looking at what others might have to say from using them (ie. thiam & roach) Papa Roach???

Anyways....thanks. That answers what I was looking for: Knox with new velcro.

B