1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exploding Deer at Summit

Discussion in 'General' started by rus23, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am not going to listen to people say the track owners/management are doing nothing when that is not the truth.

I honestly don't give a shit about your research as you do not have access to the facts for all tracks so you've gone looking for as much info to try and bash one in particular as you can. I've warned you once to stop - I will not warn you again.

2. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Like I said...

3. Geoff Doyer

Geoff Doyer Well-Known Member

I don't have time to read through 13 pages of he said she said BS but there is a MAJOR issue with deer at Summit Point. I have personally had deer cross that track in front of me on 4 occasions. I have seen countless fox and groundhogs cross or sit next to the track. I have personally even removed a cow from the surface on Summit JC not once but twice. I have seen turkey's on the track multiple times. I have run over a snake in the chute that had to be at least 6 ft feet long. I operate MANY trackday events at Summit Point and would guesstimate that we have deer crossings at more than 50% of the events we run. Sunday, after the deer incident on main we had to shut down the JC when a deer ran into the woods and stayed in the middle of the track. We scared him away with air horns and ambulance sirens. Now I don't frequent tracks too often down south or out west anymore but in the 100's of events I have been to at tracks all over the east coast, Summit Point has at least 10x's the animal issues compared to other tracks that I have witnessed in my limited experience. I have never seen a deer at Beaver Run, NJMP, Nelson Ledges, Road Atlanta, VIR, CMP, or Pocono that I can recall. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen as obviously it does. What I can say is that you have a very good chance of seeing deer at Summit Point should you choose to go. I don't know what can be done about it and I have no idea if track management has ever done anything about it. All I can tell you is that deer are a major problem at Summit Point and I have to laugh at anyone who has been there on multiple occasions that would disagree.

4. Geoff Doyer

I also forgot to mention that we have had three deer/bike collisions that I can remember with Arnie Hastings being one of the riders. At no other track do I think every single time down the straightaway "Please don't let this be the time..."

5. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Hold on a second...

Summit is a hazard to life and limb and you do what again?

Operate "MANY" track days and what?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

7. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I'm going to sign up for every NESBA track day I can find and pop that million dollar deer...

I mean can you believe this? It's so freaking dangerous Geoff has held "MANY" track days there, your Honor, while laughing at his customers, those who he KNOWS to be on the receiving end of the potentially disfiguring injuries or even possible fatal outcomes of a deer strike...

That's pure freakin' genius, Geoff...

Can you hear me laughing over here?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  8. charles

charles The Transporter

Stop it, Chummie. You'll do no such thing. No one would hold a trackday there because its too dangerous! By the way, i didn't want to say anything about it, but...the last time i was at Summit, I saw Bigfoot crossing the track, just missing him by ten thou of an inch...later, I saw him in the pits, telling people what to do, so I didn't mention it before now.

9. Geoff Doyer

I am very open about the wildlife issues at Summit and discuss it at every riders meeting. As always its up to the rider to decide if he or she accepts the risks. What I will not do is act as if it is not an issue at all.

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

What species of snake is indiginous to That region of West Virgina that can gro to "over 6 feet long?" I'm just curious, because I never saw a snake that big in the NE USA.

11. Geoff Doyer

I actually have no clue but my scientific Google search came up with the black ratsnake as very common and generally 4-6 ft in length and up to 8feet. All I know is that it was the biggest snake I had ever seen. Seemed like it covered more than half of the track

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who said it's not an issue?

You might want to actually quote the post once you find it.

13. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

do you give full refunds no questions asked after said discussion?

14. antvanlooy

antvanlooy Well-Known Member

Well that is a constructive comment is'nt it............................'bitching'? not really, just thought i'd share my views and bad deer experience on a supposed 'closed circuit', closed circuits are indeed supposed to be controlled, not only for hazard avoidance but also for a security aspect, ................urrr maybe put up a deer fence? its not difficult is it.
    True road circuits like the IOM TT and many circuits in Ireland, are extremely hard to 'control' being that most of the track is on farmland in the open countryside with laps being 8 miles long etc, oh i can't be bothered you sound far too obnoxious to see anyone elses point of view, you just stick to your use of naughty words.............'s**t' seems to be a favorite for you.

All the best to the more reasonble people on here, racings dangerous but a lack of effort to control game animals on a race circuit is just irresponsible.

15. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

You'll never get rid on animials at most race tracks. I seen a bear at a track day at Calabogie CA. I been to summit alot but never seen a deer. I have seen dogs, gound hogs and snakes but never a deer.

PS.

Alot of people are runing on board cameras now, I bet a lot more of these videos , or close call videos will be showing up.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Shit is a dirty word? Too funny. The reason I asked is your final line about the track owners - they do try to stop the animals, they continually work on removal and prevention. I've said that repeatedly in this thread - hence my questioning if you bothered to read it or not. If all you'd done was relate your experience I wouldn't have said a word, the addition of a false statement however....

And oddly enough here you are yet again saying the same bullshit.

17. antvanlooy

antvanlooy Well-Known Member

Yeah i suspected you'd struggle with British humor................anyway more to the point, .....'removal'? yeah removal of deer corpses and smashed bikes/riders no doubt. I saw no prevention whatsoever.
    Anyway you keep living in your little bubble there 'mongo'....................are you the same mongo from 'blazing saddles' perchance? .......................'mongo like candy' (in a thick voice), hope you have as nice a day as i do.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sorry you saw no prevention, I have seen it. I've also talked with track management about it, have you? Since you're such an expert maybe you should talk to them and offer your services.

Also never had a problem with Brit humor, maybe you should try saying something funny?

19. maidenamerica71

maidenamerica71 expect the unexpected

....i didn't see an answer for this

20. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

So if I came to your event, and you told me in the riders meeting that I stood a 50% chance of seeing a deer at high speed on that track, and I chose to go home and not ride, would you give me my money back?

Seems odd you would run an event at a track you deem unsafe.

FWIW, I ride at some tracks I think are less than safe, so this is an honest question. I likely would take the risk, and NOT ask for my money back. I honestly think Roebling is a less than safe track, and ride there every year. But I am not a track day organizer either, just some dude who rides