1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racer helmet buyers, be careful!

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Jun 16, 2010.

1. can we hurry this discussion up ? I want to get to the part where Snell standards are actually bad for helmets and safety.

2. JustinCase

JustinCase I Forget

14 posts ago.

3. my humor isn't funny.

4. JustinCase

JustinCase I Forget

admitting you have a problem is the first step...

:D :Poke:

5. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

...silly me, and I thought the OP was just confused and asking about build dates....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  6. JustinCase

JustinCase I Forget

Yeah, I can't believe this hasn't stayed on topic...

squirrel!

7. oh look! shiny squirrel!

8. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

My dog ate a rabbit!

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Thanks for the info!

I've been running the Bell Apex for the last few years. Great fit and crash tested! Under $200 online and I believe these were a precursor to the newer model Star which is pricey. I look for a good composite with a good liner and snug fit. I buy online to get a $400 helmet for closer to $200. I support my local dealer with most other stuff when I can. I have a family as well to support, which is of way more importance to me than the dealer.
    Back in '89 I had a helmet sponsor. Ah, the memories!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  10. weiljh

weiljh Well-Known Member

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I cant seem to find results for individual helmets... just "its on our list".

Look this is even from the SNELL site...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  12. charles

charles The Transporter

I might have missed it in this thread discussion, but isn't there another relevant standard, like Snell, called 'ECE'? Is it meaningful, for those who reseach this topic, i.e., is the 'ECE' standard a more rigorous standard?

Would I be incorrect in saying that no matter what standard is applied to the helmet, there are crash situations in which no helmet will provide total protection?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

ECE is the Euro standard (there is also BCI in the UK). They aren't necessarily better or worse, just different.

14. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

There are many, many standards, like JIS for Japanese helmets.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I think I agree on your brand choice :up: but will add that for those with over round heads they likely have to use a different brand. I was looking at a different brand that was high end for street riding. Very light yet a good spec however it had zero fit due to head shape so I got another Corsair.
    I think the standard was not final when they started production on the V (mine was produced in late 09). My understanding is that the number of shells in the Corsair V went up in anticipation of changes needed for Snell 10 and suspect the Corsair V already meets 10 (though is not tagged yet).

Thankfully my testing has been low but I have seen the effects of gear and pay up :up::up::up::up: And in case you think I am rich and up on the high horse ask me how well googles protect your eyes when they are around you neck, yes stupid does hurt. :eek:

16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Mongo,
    You need to unban "license2ill" so he can come educate us on safety standards. :D