1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Props to Scott Russell

Discussion in 'General' started by 178SV, Jun 1, 2010.

1. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Haven't seen it covered recently but since WSBK was in the US we got White and Russell on commentary. I gotta say that Scott Russell is actually a pleasure to listen to. I'd even say he's up there with Steve Martin.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

agree! I don't find myself reaching for the mute button any more! He's an "in the know" kinda guy. Still a bit to go before on par with the WSB/WSS guys, but they have had way more time to hone the craft.. It CAN'T be easy.

3. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with the American announcers for motorcycle racing is they chat way too much about inconsequential bullshit that I just don't care about. I just don't care if James Toseland has played the piano since he was 2 years old and likes long walks on the beach. Talk about the race at hand and throw more enthusiasm into it. The Euro announcers could make watching water boil exciting. Instead for the Miller WSBK rounds I had to listen to them just chit chatting back and forth about it's Roger Hayden's learning year, Biaggi is 39 and wants a big bike title, Haga is a fiesty fella, the Aprilia team wanted Checa to win apparently... It was painful on top of a not so exciting race.

4. tjg412

tjg412 Well-Known Member

He does do a good job but listening to that deep Georgia drawl for an hour is tough sometimes.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I'd much rather listen to Scott, than ralph any day of the week. :Poke::D

They do need to inject some excitement, like the motogp announcers do..:up:

6. 178SV

178SV now retired...

Greg on the other hand... Don't think I'll ever enjoy that!

7. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I'd rather listen to Diane Rehm then Ralphy. And Scott is OK, but his twang is murder.

8. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

"Put on a different set of ears" as the saying goes.You do when you listen to the Brits and Kiwis.What Scott is giving you is gold.

9. T-Roc

T-Roc Well-Known Member

I'd rather listen to U2 than Ralph

10. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I use the ears that were given to me when I was born in Georgia. Don't get me wrong Scott is a good guy and a great racer, he just has a horrible twang and has the same excitement level as Ben Stein when he calls the races.

11. nemo cockrell

nemo cockrell Well-Known Member

i like it.. scott russell knows his shit and everytime he say's "pull the trigger" i get goosebumbs and smile..keep it up scott..someday i just hope he will be saying "that's one of the scariest parts of the race track and he went in there sidewayz he don't care" haha keep it up

12. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Scott's fav phrase: right now

13. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i dig scott's announcing. props 4sure.

14. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

Russell was on his game, but Ralphy...whatever. I just wish SPEED would of had the since to air the races with the broadcast team that does the call. I would of loved to hear Johnathan Green's take on UTAH and Miller motorsports park. Someday... Expect the same thing for the US MotoGP rounds.

15. Buckeye Fan

Buckeye Fan Well-Known Member

He can drive the wheels off of a Corvette too!

16. Ducky_Fresh

Ducky_Fresh I liek cake.

Sheheen = FAIL

17. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

+1

hell yeah....steve martin is pretty damn good though....i like the english commentators....if you watch the vid of colin edwards saving his lowside the commentator flips out so much his voice starts cracking....HAHA

18. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Ru$$ell busts his ass up and down the paddock looking for information with all teams. He gets better every race IMO.

19. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

needs to start speaking English

20. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Man, you guy's shoulda heard him back in the mid 80's!
    His accent is so much less now it's as though he went to Dr Henry Higgins hisownself to get it all straightened out (you kids "Lougle" Henry Higgins, it'll all make sense).

Saw Scott last summer at a friends house and mentioned to him what an enjoyable experience it was to hear him doing the color commentary. My girlfriend chimed in and said she really likes when he goes into detail about certain things like the dynamics involved in riding, or some technical aspect he explains without making the listener think they are being dumbed down to.
    Scott was very humble and said he appreciated the feedback.
    He's doing a great job (ya'll), anyone remember the ultra dry Freddie Spencer and his attempts to do the same?
    World Champion does not allways equate to professional broadcast quality announcing.