1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Brand Laptop?

Discussion in 'General' started by ekraft84, May 25, 2010.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I've had an HP in the past which I've liked .. I'm looking at one now, but have read some reviews on the dv8t Quad Edition series having video card and chipset issues (black screen, loss of wireless suddenly, etc.). Might just be a couple bad reviews, not sure.

Main things I'm looking for is a large screen, ample memory (for photo and video editing) and one that isn't going to crap out on me. As far as i3, i5, or i7 .. I think i5 would be enough for what I need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. :up:

2. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

One with a little apple on the lid.........

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I got my Acer at Best Buy....they actually did have the best buy at any store I could find. 30 no questions return is nice too!

4. 97BladeRider

97BladeRider Too old for this sh!t

:stupid:

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I bought an Acer 8571 and it's pretty damn good. over priced at $999 but very good at $850.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Switchable graphics for sure, whatever you get.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Thanks .. Any Dell, Toshiba opinions out there?

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Bought this Toshiba laptop two weeks ago at TigerDirect. So far so GREAT!

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Toshiba is darn good. I went with the Acer because of the size, weight and battery life but a Toshiba was next on the list.

10. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i have an acer, works great, 17 inch screen, subwoofer and surround sound svideo out

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

add another fruity-puter :up: here.

and I'm running XP on it.

12. RJH_5150

RJH_5150 Well-Known Member

We have had a lot of issues with HP laptops here at work. They all seem to have weird quirky problems and they are not very durable. Of course I am comparing them to our Thinkpads. Those things could take a beating.

Dell and Toshiba both make great laptops. I would lean more towards the Dell mainly for the ease of warranty issues. I do have to say that I don't like the lack of a screen latch on their new ones. Lenovo is another one to look at.

This is probably weird coming from a guy in the PC world but I have to agree with the apple folks. If you can get what you need to work on a Mac get one of those instead.
    :beer:

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dell? Warranty? :crackup:

Their warranty isn't worth the paper they print it on. After destroying a number of used ones, decided to finally bite the bullet and buy a new one. Dropped over $1200 on a near-top of the line Dell lappy with their 3-year, 24 hr response on-site warranty coverage. It was a lemon out of the box, had to pull half the RAM to get the thing to boot after two weeks of use, the cursor would freeze on the screen but all other processes would continue just fine, and I was told to tell them what parts to bring and that, whoops, your on-site warranty coverage that you paid extra for doesn't cover on-site repairs, I'll have to depot-ship (at my expense) to get it fixed.

Bought a new MacBook Pro, climbed through 7 levels of hell and shoved that pile of shit straight back up their asses, and when the refund hit, bought another MacBook Pro just in case. So far, two lappies, zero problems (one running XP, the other running OS X).

I wouldn't buy *anything* from Dell, ever again. :down:

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

With the few thousand users I had Toshiba was the worst of all brands for failures. I used to recommend them but stopped unless they've made a major change fairly recently. I would recommend Dell over Toshiba. For the best I'd recommend Lenovo then Sony.

15. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

what windows program is best to put on a Imac? vista? xp i dont reallykow i want to put it on my Imac

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My experience with their warranty is 100% opposite. I just bought my 4th one this month.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My last 5 laptops were given to me by my job :D

Current one is a Dell D630 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on it.

18. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

i run dual boot imac 4.1 core 2 duo with snow leopard and win7.. no issues.

19. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

ok i am still on tiger with a core processor

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Thanks guys.