1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F150 or 5.7 Tundra?

Discussion in 'General' started by HRC-E.B., Mar 8, 2010.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Chevy!!! Ftw!!!

2. tamer

tamer Track Junkie

I think you're the first person in the history of internet forums to not offer an uninformed opinion.

The 2002 Tundra is waaaay different (and smaller) than the present-day models.

3. EdgeR6

EdgeR6 Well-Known Member

Tundra. I looked really hard at the F150's but that engine as said is weak, no power. I have had a few try to step up on me in my Tundra 5.7 its a joke. Not even worth my gas. MPG's 16 mix driving. kind of sucks I guess. But when I step on the gas this thing hauls ass trailer or not. Towing my 7x14 enclosed maybe about 5k total and 4 people look at 9-12 MPG's. But its so much fun passing people towing a trailer.

here is a pic of my 2010 DC TRD Rock Warriror. (rock warriror is an apperance packaged, has fake bead lock rims sport shifter and pedals. Black bucket seats)
    [​IMG]
    Mine is also a 4wd so you may see a couple of more MPG's if you get the 2wd but make sure you get the 5.7 power house.

Also the Double Cab tundra what I have is not the biggest cab they have they have a crewmax, lots of nice room inside that crewmax but bed is shorter and you be supprised at how nice just the DC cab is plenty of room for 2 adults in the back seat. Haven't tried to put 3 back there yet.

if you want to see more pictues of my truck here is the album http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii8/dhcurry/2010 Tundra Trd Rock Warrior/

4. VintageWannabe

VintageWannabe Diggin Deep

Notice how many of the people voting for Ford haven't driven a Toyota?

Most people in the Nation would rather watch NASCRAP than motorcycle racing. Doesn't make them right. Sometimes everybody is wrong, and that's the case with Ford, so don't go throwing sales numbers around. Fords are cheaper, in price and in construction, the price being a big reason they sell well.

I've owned both, as well as Chevys. Bottom line, my Fords always had problems, my Toyotas never have. I'll take the Toyota. And don't even mention the throttle, it's a non-issue.

5. Red900

Red900 Well-Known Member

F150 . I have an 04 FX4 and it is the best truck i have ever owned. I have owned over 60 vehicles over the past 15 years.

Although I have never owned a tundra I have spent time using one. My buddy has one and we spend alot of time workinng together. He has constant problems with the front rotors warping which seems to be a issue with many owners as well as he gets about 2-3 MPG less than i get in mine. He is slightly more powerful. I have 146,000 miles on mine and it has yet to have any problems.

6. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

That's true. They're actually the size of a real full-size truck now. A lot nicer looking, actually.

7. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

My vote goes towards the Tundra. The newest version of the F-150 is just blah to me. My friend has a loaded Lariat and it's been in for service twice for a mysterious vibration which can't be found. They've changed driveshafts, wheels, rearends, etc. Still no solution...they concluded it was the tires so they switched them out for him, but it still hasn't gotten rid of the shake completely. Now, he's only owned F-150 trucks since 1998 and almost every ione has given him some sort of odd problem. He trades up every two years so who knows what long term reliability issues he'd have.
    My father just bought a 2010 Tundra Double Cab with the new 4.6. He absolutely loves it. He traded in a 2000 Tacoma with close 150,000 miles (the only service ever done to it was oil, brakes, and an o2 sensor) The new 5.7 is a monster of a motor which is pretty much overkill for anyone who isn't hauling yachts or moving buildings!! The 4.6 has more than enough power for 99% of drivers (310Hp/320ish torque), and it's probably geared a bit taller for better mileage.
    If it were me, I'd jump into a Tundra and never look back, or wait for the new Titan to roll out next year ( I only bring that up since I'm a Titan owner/fanboy)

8. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

one more vote fot the Tundra crewmax. Huge interior! and a beast of a motor. Doesn't rattle or make weird clunking sounds the way the Fords do when go over bumps.

FYI check out the Nissan Titan as well.

9. doc750

doc750 Well-Known Member

tundra .. especially with the 0.0 for 60 months financing they're doing now

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

the microsoft built navigation/sync system in the Ford F-150 is the coolest thing i've seen in a vehicle yet. wanna look at doppler radar? no problem. wanna interface your ipod onto the screen? no problem. find restaraunts? see weather forecasts? find a phone #? see movie listings where you're traveling?......no problem. i dont think thats an option on toyodas. ;)

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

did you guys see the runaway prius on I-8 in california yesterday? it was all over the national news, on good morning america this morning. it just keeps getting bad for toyota. i just read that industry analysts fear their greatest blow could come from up to $3B in class action lawsuits from plummeting values.......ouch.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I hope they're still around in a few years when I'm in the market for a new truck then!

Just the other week I test drove a crewmax Tundra and it was NICE. Huge, well thought out interior, great power, cool little extras like that sliding rear window. If I had the paper I would buy one now. That's about the only negative I found - they are pricey.

A Tundra will definetely be my next truck, and that's coming from a life-long GMC guy.

13. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I've always owned GM trucks without even considering anything else until recently, and my current truck is a GMC. That being said, I'd buy the Toyota in a heart beat for the combination of engine, interior room, and looks that the other trucks can't match. I think I'm done with GM for political reasons/electrical problems, something about Ford styling just doesn't do it for me, and the Dodge is awesome but has a small back seat.

14. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:stupid:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly, except there plenty of reasons other than the back seat not to buy the Dodge! :D

15. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

Go for the F-150 make sure you get the 5.4L not the 4.6 crap.

I have a 2006 F-150 XLT 2wd Supercab with the 5.4L. I have been very happy with the truck. Fit and finish is good, no mechanical issues at all. I can haul all kinds of crap and it doesn't even notice. With two bikes in the back I can get 21-22 on the highway, but I generally get 16-19, most of my driving is on surface streets. I can fit two ATV in the bed and haul a trailer without any trouble.

Edit: This is my second F-150 in a row. The only mechanical issue I had on my old F-150 was a failed fuel pump after 70K miles. It only took an hour to change the fuel pump...no big deal.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Ive got a 2005 Tundra 4x4 Double cab and have had not the first issue with it - great truck -just got back from Daytona , 2 poeple, two bikes and all of our crap, running between 70 and 80 got about 15 mpg - Ive heard the 5.7 gets better milage - but ,love mine - Had a T-100 before my Tundra and it was bomb proof truck - 180k miles in 10 years , factory clutch was still in it - othen that timing belts and a head gasket recall, I never had issue with it -

Cant talk about the Ford, I would like a F250 Diesel though - if they werent So friggin expensive that is -

17. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Yes the 4.6 BLOWS!! My arse bit a hole in the seat the first time I tried to make a pass pulling a small trailer on a two lane highway :eek: It just didn't freaking go

21-22 with 2 bikes in the bike :confused: are they bicycles. Are your numbers from the optimistic trip computer or calculating after filling up?

18. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

+a zillion. The 5.4l has the worst mpg out of the big 3

19. RR558

RR558 Well-Known Member

I own a 05 FX4, my 4th ford and have had no problems with any of them 115k. on my FX4. Yes they are kinda slugs in the power dept. but nothing a chip/ programmer can't fix. I drove the tundra and its fast but the rest of the truck felt like a Dodge (junk) not too mention take a look at the bed when their going down a bumpy road, you'll laugh your ass off.

20. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Hey, ease off my Dodge!:D