What pisses you off most about your state?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by XFBO, Jan 31, 2010.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

In the past month I've learned that an individual can legally operate a car in the state of NJ without liability insurance, which used to be a requirement here.

A family member recently got into a relatively minor car accident about a month or so ago, accident was not her fault. Well, it wasn't til about 2 weeks later that they receive a letter stating that the other operator has SAIP insurance, which does NOT cover property damage so the repairs would have to be via her collision coverage ($500 ded). If she didn't have collision, I guess she would had been shit out of luck on the damages.

If I'm not mistaken, this new coverage began in 2003......I have no clue how it came about and who endorsed it but I plan on looking into it just out of curiosity. My guess is that Gov. McGreevey pushed it through since he was in Office, but I cant imagine something like this going through w/out his ok.

Any other states with this type of coverage?

What I did find out is that only 21k operators are approved for this type of coverage thus far but that it's growing faaasssstt.

Looking it up on the NJ state site, here is their description of said policy:

Niiice.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

NJ Sucks!

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Yes.

There isn't enough space on the forum to outline all the problems with this state - we'll see what if anything the new guvna does to fix it.

4. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I heard they'll steal your race bikes in Jersey.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

what pisses me off most about my state?

it borders NJ, MD, NY and OH.
    :D

6. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Worst thing about PA? The state's monopoly on liquor sales and their antiquated beer sales policy.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

First let me stay I hope no one was hurt as that is what matters most.

Now to get myself in trouble:
    So why should someone mitigate YOUR risk? That is what insurance is, risk mitigation. If someone has little to risk they should not have to pay to cover your risk. The more you have the more you have to lose and insurance becomes more important. Someone who is just getting by has little to lose thus insurance is less important than say ...food.

The government mandating you buy something is taking of property. For those that argue that driving is a privilege I would like to say so was using the 'king's' road and even if you cannot drive you still are paying for roads and can have your property taken for 'public' use.

8. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

PA drivers have no idea of how to make a left hand turn at an intersection, instead of pulling INTO the intersection and waiting for a break in traffic, they'll sit at the paint line and wait. When the light turns yellow they will then pull into the intersection, followed by 2-3 cars behind them all running a red light. Pull into the intersection you idiots!!

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

that's just in allentown...you have way too many immigrants from nj.
    :Poke::D

10. MOTOXAZ

MOTOXAZ Well-Known Member

Certain things sheriff Joe does and Photo Radar Cameras

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

LOL......our immigrants come from NYC!!! Sorry Ken! :D

Sheep- I think I get your point so let me ask you this, let's take the car out of the equation......you're crossing the street on foot and get struck by one of these policyholders.

Did you read the FAQ section?

I'm going to take that as the injured party is screwed if they don't have their own auto coverage, which I believe PIP would take over.

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

All the more reason to vote FOR universal health care.... :Poke::Poke:

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

personal property tax. You have the money (or credit) to afford a nice car? VA wants to tax you on it.

14. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am crossing the street and to mitigate the every day risk of the world I have health insurance and long term disability to mitigate the risk. In my case I choose not to also have a bunch of life insurance as my death would not leave behind dependents nor impact my family financially as I am worth enough to cover everything plus.

In short I have contained my risk as best I can. Plus I try to look both ways before crossing and again while I cross.

15. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

Great Welfare auto insurance?? That one takes the cake. NY also has too many things to list but it sucks enough for me to want to relocate once I retire. There are many things I love about NY, the bad is beginning to outweigh the good.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  16. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

You got that right. I am amazed at all the red light runners I see. When in an intersection, you have to wait for the red light runners to finish, then make the turn on what is now a red light. And Stop means, slow and go, or dont slow and go.

17. Ssack55

Ssack55 Well-Known Member

Just like the great state of KY. Not only do you get to pay tax when you buy it but every year that you own it. If you sell it on Jan 1 20XX, you still owe the property taxes due that year AND the person buying it has to pay the sales tax even if you owned it less then 1hr in a given year! Pretty much SUCKS!!!

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Oh brother, there's no winning over on you. :Poke:

Okaaayyy, you looked both ways but since the light is red you assume it's safe to cross but the dumb bitch waiting at the light is in a heated argument with her soon to be ex BF......while reading his text, she slips into a rage that causes her to blindly accelerate bouncing you over the hood & roof of her car. She snapped your leg so bad that it needs to be amputated. You now have excessive medical bills that run beyond your crappy HC coverage and you cant work as a fireman any longer. If the woman had normal insurance, you might be able to collect enough to help pay whatever costs you will now be in debt for...............still ok with SAIP? :Poke:

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Come on down to Texas. There's no state income tax, and like everyone says, it's like a whole 'nother country.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Horse manure. Liability insurance is just that, insurance for damage you may be liable for. If you cannot afford insurance, you cannot afford a car. Period. This is nothing more that the continuation of allowing the population to abdicate any sense of personal responsibility.

I don't ride the bus, but my money is taken to support transit. I don't use the public schools, but my taxes fund them. If you don't drive, you are not paying near the taxes for roads that those that drive pay. Those roads also allow you to receive police and fire protection. Some provides sidewalks for the non-driver.