Hounds filling the shelters in NC

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm not a big hunter. I'm definitely not against it. I've hunted deer before but never ran them with dogs. Personally, I don't agree with running deer but it's not the real issue with me. I have no problems with rabbit dogs, bird dogs, or coon hunting if it's all done within the allowed season. Seeing dogs getting torn to shreds when trying to tree a bear, ya, that I don't like.
    My thread isn't an issue with hunting, my main concern is seeing half frozen, starving dogs roaming around on the side of rural roads and on farms after taking off from the pack or being abandoned. I'm sure there are plenty of hunters who treat their dogs well...

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No denying there are some cretins with hunting license out there. And many without a license.

3. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

AHHHHH,,No, they bait deer here in NC because they dont have the basic skill to hunt let alone drive a car

:up:

4. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Yep hunting deer with a dog is a real sport, or it is a lazy redneck way of not getting caught spotlighting

I will go with the latter

5. Suzuki_Girl

Suzuki_Girl Pretty fast

Here in my country, they have just decided that we "needed" to shoot 27 wolves, we only had about 200 to begin with. So all the manly hunters took ther atv's and went off to the woods, and in the first day of hunting, they shot 40 wolves.

So 13 more than they were allowed to, in only one day, and the did it after chasing them on their atv's. I think that shows just about how much they care about animals.

And I know its a big difference between your own dog and the animal you are out to kill, but still..

6. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to stop your tirade, nor am I trying to voice my opinion BUT.....just because you've never seen a Hound get mistrated doesn't mean it doesn't happen EVERYDAY, ALL DAY. Just because you hunted with your Uncle or a few and the Dogs are treated well doesn't mean it doesn't happen ALL THE TIME. I've seen many people hunt from their cars(spotlighting), and YES, EVEN FROM A LAWNCHAIR (a story I was told, even though he did have to run inside to get the gun and come back out to shoot at the deer)I live in the mountains of NC, right next to TN. This happens ALL the time......

Dogs left after the hunt, dogs left out to die, unfed, dogs torn apart from bear, or broken bones and owners has no intention of doing anything other than thowing him back in the pen until the next hunt. Abandoned...........no food......pregnant females whos pup are not tended to and pups that get stolen from the cage by rats and other rodents and eaten because of horrible conditions in the pens.

OK, I guess I am giving my opinion. I love dogs. They are great for the hunt whether Birds, Bear, or whatever you want to use them for. They do the job well. People on the other hand are asshats and I can only hope they get what should be coming to them for the way they treat these dogs.

I'm not acting like I've heard these stories or a friend told me of these hunts. I see this shit every year, and I see these dogs every year. Unfortunalty, I have interactions with these assholes throughout the year as many work for the companies I hire. I tell these people that they are wrong for abusing the dogs and every year, including this year(Walker pups), I want to buy or adopt a few but I don't because I already have dogs and a family.

I really want to Thank "RegularGuy" for throwing this post up. This happens every year and it shouldn't. One of my dogs is a Blue Tick mix that I got from the shelter about 11 years ago. Great Dog!
    Again, I don't care what or how you hunt with them. Just treat them right because they want to do nothing but serve their "owners". Go adopt one if you can.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Right on. The best part about having hounds is listening to them bay when they tree squirrels in the back yard and the chorus of howling when a fire truck or ambulance goes by. I'm sure my neighbors love it too. Two Walker Hounds, a redbone hound, a basset hound and a beagle can make a lot of noise!

8. Seven+2 1's

Seven+2 1's Well-Known Member

HAHAHA!! That is the best! My dog, Jerry, loves when the fire truck goes by. I still laugh (10 years later) every time he does it. He has perfect pitch and cadance with it since he's practiced all these years.

9. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

Awesome. We've got a choir at home as well!(two basset hounds and two beagles)

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

bump

Once again, it's hunting season. I'm giving this a bump. For me, this thread is not about hunting methods, it's about the well being of the hounds. Attached is a pic of my newest, a lemon Beagle that has multiple squirrel kills under her belt.

Attached Files:

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My mixed breed hound dog which lives in the lap of luxury as a house pet has developed (on her own) the unusual habit of treeing ground hogs. I never saw anything like it but you know...I've no problem popping those varmints. She (we) got 2 last year and 4 this year! :beer:
    Does this constitute hunting with dogs? You obviously don't live in the country.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Just saw this. How come?

13. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Good lookin pup there!

I hate reading about mistreated dogs...i cant handle it. I donate to my local shelter but I cant be as involved as Id like to be because...well i cant handle it.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I don't give a fuck if you use toy poodles to tree raccoons. As long as you don't abuse the poodles. You obviously you didn't read any of this thread, and where I live doesn't have anything to do with this.

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I could give a fuck about a lot of people but it's not cool to abuse dogs. I'd have 100 dogs if I could...

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I think.....NC is the only state where it's legal to run deer dogs. I know it's only 1 or 2 states.

17. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Feel free to stop by and grab as many of these as you can catch - no guns or dogs needed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If you need a dog to hunt deer you SUCK as a "Hunter".

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That looks like Summit Point.

20. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Actually, that's SR's side yard. He told me that his son counted over 50 deer out there today before he lost count. F**king hooved rats.