1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing 'movies'

Discussion in 'General' started by backMarker01, Nov 27, 2009.

1. caferace

caferace No.

The Road Racers <-- incredibly hard to find anywhere outside of RU. It's a documentary put out in the 70's by the Irish Film Council, with a heavy focus on a very young Joey Dunlop. Well worth it... Gives me chills every time I watch it.

The Road Racers goes behind-the-scenes and into the lives of road racers Frank Kennedy, Mervyn Robinson and Joey Dunlop. From the crackle of racing engines at full power during 'unofficial practice', to the spectacular rider's-eye-view of racing on roads barely wide enough to take a car.

Love, Loss and Speed

It's 1973 and young New Zeland couple Kim and Janeen have run away to Europe and joined the circus - the Continental Circus. They're part of a convoy of Grand Prix motorcycle riders travelling across Western and Eastern Europe competing for the World Championship Road Racing title.

Love Speed and Loss is a love story set against the backdrop of 1970's Grand Prix racing. Kim Newcombe and his childhood sweetheart wife, Janeen, arrived in Berlin in 1969. Kim had a job working as an engineer for the Konig outboard marine company. Within a year he'd taken the outboard engine and turned it into a lightning-fast road racing motorbike thaat led the world championship. And so the couple's European adventure began ...

On route to Europe Janeen bought a Super8 camera in Hong Kong and started documenting the couple's new life. Love, Speed & Loss opens with Janeen, now in her late fifties, watching the footage of her and Kim - young, in love and idealistic. The documentary moves between the 1970s and the present day as it reveals the couple's story, building toward the tragic event that saw Janeen's life change dramatically.

available from Duke Video: http://www.dukevideousa.com/Love-Loss-and-Speed-Film-NTSC-DVD.aspx

-jim

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

+1 I wrote a review of this film for a regional motorcycle magazine that I write for. www.roadwheeler.com I think its on page 16. Maybe 18.

Great film. Documentary though...

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Roadrace by our own MarkB of WERA fame. It's actually on Amazon. How da thunk? ;):D

4. caferace

caferace No.

"1 used from $80.00 "

Jeezy-creezy. I still have two copies left from MarkB was selling them last yeat at $5 per....

-jim

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

now just add easy rider, and you have every motorcycle racers dream collection...:crackup:

6. tito

tito Well-Known Member

since no one has posted them yet here are a few of the best
    driven
    supercross
    rad
    winners take all
    actually the last two are pretty good 80's movies!

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

:stupid:

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Easy Rider was a seminal movie.

I still watch it from time to time.

9. old and busted

old and busted Well-Known Member

Blues Brothers....

10. LilMouse62003

LilMouse62003 WERA novice #121

While shopping at a flee market i stumbled across a movie called "FLAT OUT" with Michael Madsen, and Stewart Goddard true story about an crash that left him paralyzed and he went on to race again. bad film great story o and it has ron jeremy in it !!

11. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Haha, the funny thing is I love this movie and it's one of the reasons I always wanted to be a motorcycle racer. Haven't seen it in 10 years though, so my opinion may be different now...

12. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

I just recently saw "Love the Beast" and thought it was a great flick. It's a documentary/auto-bio about actor Eric Bana doing the Targa Tasmania race in his 1974 Ford Falcon. Very much a love story of man and machine.

There was also "Truth in 24" showing, that i didn't get to see, about Audi's sport racing team attempt to earn a record 5th consecutive 24 Hour of Le Mans narated by Jason Statham. I've heard it was decent and available online to watch.

They have some info here on them: http://www.wheelsonreels.com/

13. rick burdick

rick burdick Rick122

14. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

Just watched the movie "Moto". Its a documentary on dirty bikes, but its pretty good. Not much on racing but it involves racers.

15. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Talledega nights is as realistic as you can get for a nascar movie.

As far as our sport, just about everything has been mentioned. most recent I saw and enjoyed was minor details. good flick!

16. Bourgeois

Bourgeois Shortbus Captain

I don't know what all of you crazies are talking about. But The Dirt Bike Kid is the end all, be all.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

CC and Company.... 1970 with Joe Willy Namath, Ann Margaret and William Smith. A classic biker movie. The end was very cool, racing choppers in the dirt around a highschool track field.

18. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I gots a couple copies of a "movie" or documentary about WSIR on VHS that I've never watched. Can't remember what it's called. Think it's from the 90s. I believe it's super-tough to find now, if not impossible. I should Google it and get the title but I'll just wait for someone else to chime in with it.

Anyway, I have no idea if it's any good or not. :cool:

19. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Watching On Any Sunday now, and the race in Cali, through that town. Wow that is cool. To bad stuff like that doesn't happen anymore...