1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vintage wrap up

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by VVRONGO, Nov 12, 2009.

1. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

You know I was talking about NY, I will be at them all if you drive my old ass.:)

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Do you even have a clue who Rocky is? By the sound of your post I am guessing not.

The clue store is having a sale, I suggest you go buy one.

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Some things such as certain bikes being allowed in certain classes will need to be dealt with on a case basis. If one bike is accepted and totally kicks its competitions ass then bump it up the following event. Points would drastically be effected due to that bike being in a different class at the following event.

The V7 issue could use addressed though... Maybe backdate the years or something. I know the rules are set in place to accommodate the technology of the bike and not its year... So I don't really know what the solution is... Again, maybe a case by case basis....as WERA has been doing I assume.

However, in almost complete contradiction of my post... I dont see a flood of late mid-late 90's Kaw's and Suzi's flooding the paddock due to some vintage changes. lol People interested in running with WERA should do as most newbs do... Post up on the forum and say "I have this bike, what can I race in"

OK....and thanks.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I have said before that I think Sean does a great job running many aspects of WERA. Treating people like valued customers is not one of those areas. With regard to bringing it up in private...why would anyone want to do that? He's a dick on here, in public, so here is as good a place as any. While I was racing I did my best to stay away from him at the track, but he's always been cordial there. It's the "hey Sean what about this?" answered with "fuck you go race somewhere else if you don't like it" that I'm talking about.

Besides Rocky, you're a 'somebody' so you're never gonna get the treatment (especially on here) that the common rabble gets.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I've only been around WERA for two years but I have never heard (ever.. like,your post is seriously the first non-this-person-obviously-is-a-moron time) anyone bitching about how Sean has treated them. My group and I come down to the races from Seattle (including making the trip to the GNFs every year) and Sean and Evelyne have both made it very apparent that we are appreciated. When we've brought someone new to WERA, Sean has occasionally personally seen to it that their experience was a positive one.

I could go on but it'd probably just begin to sound like I was sucking up. Point is, Mongo's reputation among everyone I know is so good that I was pretty surprised at your post.

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Is Mongo an asshole, yep, but no more then half of the people on here.

7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I believe Tim knows who he is, but was making a different point.

Do you know who Tim is?....I may not support everything he says, but if you are basing your :wow: on racing reputations as you imply.....maybe you should clip a coupon for that store you mention as well. :up:

I'm attempting to stick to the constructive side of things here, and Believe Sean and Tim are big enough boys to fight their own battles, wadda ya say?:beer:

Both Tim and Sean have somewhat supported my views in the past.....no mud-slinging here....are either of them perfect?...probably not.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

OK, so how about this.

On the regional side of the vintage schedule, the top performing weekends (IE high vintage grids) stay on the schedule. These could be stand alone regional or combined regional.

Since the vintage schedule is now cut in half (on the regional level, and you need to determine if V6LW is the vintage class cutoff), the points system changes to a sportsman format. And National Champions are determined over a 2-day event held in September at an event already on the schedule, separate than the GNF. Call it the WERA Vintage GNF. Grids determined by the usual process, champions determined by there total regional points PLUS those weekend races. Highest points total takes the plate. If cost is an issue, just hold a 1 day event a la the GNF and have a winner take all format (like the current GNF Sportsman events).

With half the regional level now open in the afternoon (no Vintage), the schedule could be moved to the following. You still keep the same race schedule on Saturday, since the Solo 35’s are timed like the Solo 20’s. On Sunday, you go from 17 races to 13, but on both days the sprints have a 2 lap increase (8-10). Practice times stay the same, because the overall goal is to have entries in the Solos. Increasing practice time defeats that goal. Solo 35’s are a single rider event, no fuel or tire changes. We want to keep the cost low and not have riders supply a full pit team and or re-fueling gear. You COULD make the event a 2 rider affair, like a relay. Again, just thoughts….

2010 Pirelli / WERA Sportsman Series Grattan Raceway Park August 21-22 (SAMPLE)
    North Central Region
    - Race Direction is Clockwise –
    - SATURDAY
    7:00am - 9:30am Registration Open
    7:15am - 9:45am Technical Inspection Open
    9:00am - 11:30am Practice - Groups as follows (no vintage):
    1) 750cc and Up Novices
    2) 750cc and Up Experts
    3) Lightweight Novices and Experts
    4) 600cc Novices
    5) 600cc Experts
    7) Riders School
    11:30am -12:30pm Lunch Break
    11:45am Riders Meeting - Pit Lane
    12:30pm Solo 35’s and WERA Sportsman Series Races (10 laps (formerly 8 laps))
    1) WSS, HWT SB, V6 HW, V7MW
    2) Medium weight Novice Solo (35 Minute Solo Endurance / Purse Paying)
    3) Mediumweight Expert Solo (35 Minute Solo Endurance / Purse Paying)
    4) Formula 2 Expert & Novice
    5) Heavyweight Novice Solo (35 Minute Solo Endurance / Purse Paying)
    6) Heavyweight Expert Solo (35 Minute Solo Endurance / Purse Paying)
    7) Lightweight Expert & Novice Solo (35 Minute Solo Endurance / Purse Paying)
    8) B Superbike Expert. V7 HW
    9) C Superbike Novice
    10) Riders School Mock Race (4 laps)

- Awards Presentation in Winners Circle following last race -

SUNDAY
    8:00am - 9:00am Registration Open
    8:15am - 9:15am Technical Inspection Open
    9:00am - 11:00am Practice Groups as follows (normal practice group times):
    1) 750cc and Up Novices
    2) 750cc and Up Experts
    3) Lightweight Novices and Experts
    4) 600cc Novices
    5) 600cc Experts
    11:00am - 12:00pmLunch Break
    11:10am Riders Meeting - Pit Lane
    Sunday
    12:00pm WERA Sportsman Series Races - (10 laps (formerly 8 laps))
    1) C Superbike Ex, HWT SS Ex & Nv
    2) Formula 1 Expert & Novice
    3) LWT SS, DSB, ESS Ex & Nv
    4) B Superbike Novice
    5) LWT SB, DSS
    6) A Superbike Expert & Novice
    7)125cc GP, Clubman
    8) A Superstock Ex & Nv
    9) C Superstock Expert
    10) C Superstock Novice
    11) Senior Superbike Ex & Nv
    12) B Superstock Expert
    13) B Superstock Noviie

An alternate schedule would be to run a V8 and/or Senior LWT SBK and / or Formula 3 and /or ‘whatever class might make WERA money class’ on 4 non-vintage weekends. Just move those modern classes back to Sunday and add some ‘pilot’ classes.

Sean, what do you think? It makes the vintage events more of an ‘event’ (less of them), and you hopefully gain revenue by have 4 weekends were you run mini-endurance weekends and / or new classes.

9. tcurrin

tcurrin Well-Known Member

Will there be a decision on the Vintage schedule soon?

10. Silo Pete

All.

I want to apologize if some of you view my posts as wanting to eliminate the vintage series. I got a PM stating as such. For the record that is not the intent of any posts. What I'm attempting to do in the vintage forum is propose ideas that have been floored (less regional, more 2 day events, more of a 'gathering' events for vintage) than to kill vintage. 'Killing' vintage is being done by it's own, not by me.

As far as the link posted in the general forum, again, the attempt is to let Sean know that there are non-vintage racers who want them (vintage) around. And if Sean wants to kill the vintage classes for a more profitable venture, I'm at least proposing an compromise to keep a limited vintage schedule in with whatever WERA wants to replace it with (if WERA is truely going to dump vintage, no word on that from WERA HQ btw).

So again, I'm not dumping dirt on the casket. I'm attempting to offer solutions to issues posted here. Nothing more. Feel free to chime in and offer alternatives to WERA.

And, for the record, I have great respect for Vintage guys I've raced against (Tex, Rich, Scott, Wade and others...).

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The double points rounds etc... didn't do anything for modern or vintage classes - and yes we did look at all of that before throwing it out. All it did was have riders choose to miss one event in favor of another, the total amount a rider is willing to spend over the course of a season really doesn't change. We understand what drives racing participation - as much as you guys truly want to believe Vintage is something super special it's really not, it's still racing at it's core.

Yes, Barber's success is in large part from the promotion done by the participants. That however isn't what my response to Tim was about, he was the one talking about the money.

What exactly do you need from WERA to promote Vintage racing? No, we're not going to let a committee determine the rules or the schedule or any of that. We tried it. It failed.

Lyn - my 100 riders thing was purely a BS number, I'd guess it's the same 200 or so as you saw previously. The 10% of total entries number is real, I actually looked at that one last week.

We realize the Solo's aren't all that at most events, but seriously, you're comparing the total numbers in 5 classes to the total numbers in 15 classes.

12. Silo Pete

Was that statement in respinse to that schedule tweak I posted? Just wondering?
    :confused:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There were a lot of minor issues but a lot of it was you guys weren't hearing the complaints from the Vintage racers that didn't like what you were doing. You only heard from those who did like it. There was too much going on with the rules committee having their own agendas.

I've said all along I'll take rules input from anyone and I don't care about anything but good racing. Those ideas can come from here, can from scribble notes around a drunken campfire, anywhere.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, it was in response to Lyn's post which is why I put "Lyn - my 100 riders thing was purely a BS number, I'd guess it's the same 200 or so as you saw previously. The 10% of total entries number is real, I actually looked at that one last week." directly above it.

I don't have any idea what your post was.

15. Silo Pete

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WERA didn't pay anything, just the $12,500 for track rental (that is for one single day), corner workers, officials, insurance....

17. CharlieY

Sean, I believe the orig comment I was responding to was speaking of payout, not expenses....specifically on the fast from the past thing. I was merely stating it was not like a solo payout, thats all....not meant in any other way at all....maybe I read it wrong.

I think what WERA and FFTP did there was an outstanding effort. :up:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Awwww, look how cute you are in your stalker mode still pissed off because I called you out.

Yes Dave, there is more than just you who think I'm a dick. There are a minority of people who get al butt hurt when I do things they don't agree with. There are people who get mad because I don't tolerate their stupidity. There are people who get pissed off because I don't coddle them and tell them they're the bestest in the whole world like mommy or daddy does.

There are also many thousands of riders who choose to race WERA because of the decisions I make and because I don't tolerate the stupid shit a minority of riders do.

So as long as Evelyne is okay with how I am and the calls I make help WERA to grow as it has since I've worked here then I'm doing my job properly and the minority of our customers that don't like it can easily go racing elsewhere.

What's really funny is you don't race yet here you are. You bitch about I run the board - yet here you are. You don't contribute shit to WERA or to even this thread, you do nothing but bitch - yet here you are.

Yep. I am evil incarnate. And I love every minute of my life :D

19. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I know I don't have the years under my belt that some of thse other guys do and i wasn't at the race track this past season save for a practice session but I've got a few ideas.
    For one I love the way things are now. A few of us bitched and moaned about the schedule being too close together the last few years and thankfully sean and evelynn got that changed for us, and for that I'm greatful.
    1) Maybe its time to shuffle some of the classes, combine some bikes into the same classes and index in some new ones. Gypsy's suggestion in the v7 thread was spot on and really none of us disagree with any of the bikes put up there. I believe that we can combine enough to get bigger grids and keep the racing fair and fun. There seems to be some interest in the v8 proposed bikes so maybe we make them v7 bikes and see how it goes. If its a slaughter and the v7 guys don't like it move their bikes to v6hw as they're on track the same time anyways and generally only have a handful of entries
    2) Great suggestion by wera33 to send the rulebook out for review. This ensures that the same eyes aren't reading over the same stuff 20,000 times because its easy to miss stuff. And thus would also ensure that issues in the rulebook can be caught before we line up in feb.
    3) If you're only going to have vintage at certain regionals I think it would be a good time to hold a double header type weekend. Pretty much put sundays schedule on saturday. I think the solo 20s or 30s or 40s would be cool too but I think wera would get more bucks and more excitement putting up the double points for a weekend in the sprints
    3)In the reshuffle a more interseries friendly bike formula would be optimal. Being able to draw riders from the other vintage orgs without them needing seperate bikes for each would be a great way to bolster the grids.

20. CharlieY

Pete, going to 1 event a month would be a reduction from around 12 to 9, not half sir....and appreciatte your clarifying post.

Bringing things back, what I proposed was "Can we try a 2 day event?", and to not slight anyone (modern), attempt an alternative sch there?"....Sean mentioned practice. Your post reads a restructure, not a "lets try this once".

For the record, I'm fine with 1 day Vintage event, prefer it actually.....AND have no real beefs with Sean or WERA......but in an effort to attract some fresh meat (sorry boys :D)...typically the first thing I hear is "If there were a 2 day event, I'd blah blah...."

Thats all I was saying gents......I'm now going to take the approach of my favorite turtle (cuz he has a thick shell, jeesh) Charles the TP'r, and kinda hide out for awhile.