1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this exhaust system still usable? or junk?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by kellen, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kellen

kellen Well-Known Member

ti system for 03/04 ZX-6R, couple dents in the header

[​IMG]

2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I would run it. Heat them and shape em back! Or...run em. lol

3. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

fix it and use it.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Fill them with water, toss em in the freezer. Cap one end only, but I have seen dirt headers (2 and 4 stroke) fixed like this. Or heat them up real hot then quench it with ice or cold water. I had a titanium duct repair guy tell me that trick, never tried it though. He recommended dry ice or liquid nitrogen, but that stuff might not be easy for you to source.

5. b_rymer

b_rymer Well-Known Member

+1^^ i have fixed pipes this way before

6. kellen

kellen Well-Known Member

so apparently it's SS, still fixable?

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

SS is softer and doesn't have a memory, so you might have a wrinkle. Freezer trick should still work. Don't push a broom handle or other die into the pipe unless you know what you are doing, you can only guess how I got this tidbit of info. Try water + freezer, see how that works. Remember to cap only one end so that it doesn't split.

8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Easy to fix. I would not really worry about the upper pipe (with spring attached to it) The dent in it doesn't appear to be very deep. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to straighten it but probably isn't necessary. The lower pipe in the picture is near a joint (it appears.) so it won't be hard to get to that dent.
    Separate the pipes and heat the dent and gently drive an object into it to straighten it out. :up: