1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by hatman, Feb 14, 2003.

1. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

I'm looking at buying an enclosed trailer this winter, and any constructive comments/suggestions (yes, I know that's asking a lot) :p would be welcome.

I've done a bunch of research, talked to folks, and I've narrowed it down to a 7 foot wide/narrow axle trailer, as that's the only thing that will fit up our drive, which has stone walls on either side. (No, I'm not up for a new landscaping project.) The narrow axle 7 footers are actually a bit skinnier from fender to fender than the 6 foot wide trailers. Who knew? :confused:

Length will be either 10 or 12 foot -- I'd like to haul two full-size roadracers and a small pit bike. The twelve footer would give me more room up front, but at the expense of more weight. It looks like I'll also stick to a single axle, as my understanding is the dual axle trailers are nearly impossible to move by hand, which, again, will be required due to the layout of our property.

I'm looking at either Pace or United Expressline. Both seem to have very good warranties and reps. Pace has a better-known name in MC circles, but UE seems big with the car guys. UE also has a 5-year warranty, Pace is 3 years. Both are priced fairly close to each other.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with a trailer this size? Would a dual-axle 7x12 tow that much nicer than a single axle? Is the extra weight of the dual axle noticeable? Are they truely impossible to move by hand (unloaded, of course), even using one of those trailer dollies?

Will the 10-foot model be too short for my bikes (2 race and one pit) and spares (wheels, tools, generator, awnings, fuel jugs, etc.?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

there's an asshole that's got one in the classifieds. just don't ask him a reasonable simple question. :rolleyes:

3. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Must be a NC thing... ;) :D

(Disclaimer: that was a joke...) :cool:

4. sv tinker

sv tinker Well-Known Member

Bigger is better if your rig can handle the load and fuel economy is not an issue. Electric trailer brakes increase safety immeasurably and less height cuts wind drag. Leaf springs carry more weight but ride roughly.

5. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

duel axle pulls so much better if it is possable the pain moving it around will be repaid ten fold by sure pleasure of a stable trailer hauling butt down the road.

6. oldbackmarker

oldbackmarker Active Member

Absolutely get a tandem axle. A single axle on a trailer with a large side area has a real tendency to whip in gusty crosswinds. The secret to moving a tandem axle by hand is to use a trailer dolly that is a lot lower than the level height of the hitch. This makes the trailer rock forward on the front axle so that the drag of the rear wheels is reduced.

A good control for electric brakes is around $50 if you shop around and as high as $100 if you don't. A breakaway system is also worthwhile since it automatically puts on the brakes if the trailer comes loose. May not keep the trailer from crashing, but it will hit a lot slower and nearer to the shoulder of the road.

Funny thing about air drag is that it is minimized if the trailer box is a little larger than the tow vehicle. This is because the airflow reattaches itself to the trailer and causes only a little more drag than the tow vehicle alone. If the trailer is a lot smaller, it is like moving two separate vehicles through the air.

I recently bought a decent 6x12, tandem axle with interior lights, roof vent, and stone guard for $2500 and made right here in Indiana. So far, so good. We'll see how it holds up over the long run.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I have lincoln navigator, and purchased a 2axle 7x16 trailer. little taller than some but super nice for walking around. has a bubble on the front to decrease wind risistance. pulls very nice.. the electric brake system is a MUST... you can varry the braking power to the trailer brakes with a slide control right under the dash. tandem pulls very nicely...piss poor on gas but usually get a buddy to put his bike in and share gas expns.. about 8mpg at 70mph..... ouch..

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i have a 6x10. you would have to be very creative to pack everything you've mentioned. i pack one bike, no pit bike, ALL that other crap and it gets tight. mind you, i put everything on the floor as i've yet to put in shelves, etc.
    if you're buying new, tandem axle may be nice...i wouldn't trust one used...alignment could be screwed negating any benefit of more stable towing.
    my single axle has been packed to the gills(special option) and towed back and forth across the country(up/down mountains) a few times with little to no stability problems. i towed a dual axle, loaded, from new orleans to orlando and hated it...especially when the thing started swaying while coasting downhill on the interstate...it had a mind of its own.

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

If I were you...

...and were buying new I'd get a V-nose 12 foot. You will want the extra room with that much stuff and the v-nose will make it easier to pull. The weight issue is really not an issue, its the aerodynamics that make them harder to pull.

Electric brakes a must? BAH! :rolleyes:

10. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

I have pulled singles and double axle trailers with the Expedition. Double axles are by far better. Neither trailer could be moved by hand. Maybe if you had a 4 wheeler that you could use to move it around the property?
    What about Featherlite trailers?
    Have you checked all the boards?

11. Shane Hucks

Shane Hucks Active Member

I currently have a 6x12 single axle. I have never had any stability problems at any speed. I have had 2 race bikes, pit bike, generator, tools, canopy, etc. etc. It started to get a little bit cramped, but put some shelves in and your there. It is a little bit of a pain to move by hand, but you do what you have to do right. Anyway, good luck with your choice. Oh, btw, go with the 12 foot for sure, the 10 footer will be too short. jmo.:cool:

12. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

Thanks for the input --I'd be moving the trailer unloaded maybe 10 feet on flat pavement, but I'd have to turn it around 180 degrees, and I wasn't sure if could swing that with a dual axle.

May I ask what brand and where you bought the trailer? Nearly all the trailers are made in Indiana, but I'm in Ohio, so the drive to pick one up isn't a big deal.

13. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

What motor does you Navigator have? How does it do in the hills? We may get an Expedition and it would end up being the tow vehicle. (I've been using a '95 E250 Extended Van for the past four years or so, and only occasionally pull a borrowed trailer.)

14. sv tinker

Re: If I were you...

Can you say jackknife! Always set trailer brakes to grab an instant before truck brakes and this adjustment will vary depending on weight of load. Try to load most of the weight over axles and tire pressure should increase as weight increases to prevent sidewall flexing.:)

15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

5.4 32valve..300hp.. the expy has the same size motor but 240 or 260 hp. with 3 bikes in the 7x16 trailer, i wouldnt want any less hp. I was looking at expys but knew i was buying my friends trailer and opted for the navigator. it cruises right along 3,000 rpm at 70mph but i have to have the overdrive off. otherwise on anything other than flat terrain the tranny searches and revs real high. the electric brakes are a must to. it almost stops better than not having the trailer if you have it turned way up.
    the expy should be fine if your getting a smaller trailer than what i have.

16. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

It will be a new trailer, which is why I'd like to order the right one the first time. :) I get two race bikes, 2 sets of rain wheels/tires, 3 spares boxes, a generator, 2 fuel jugs, large tool box, awning, a ramp, and a bunch of misc. boxes of spares and crap into the back section of my E250 van, which is about 7 1/2 feet long and less than 5 feet wide. We even stick the pit scooter on a platform on the back on occasion. :D

However, packing and unpacking is like a jigsaw puzzle -- there's only one way it all fits together. It's a PITA and time consuming. I'm sure I could work in a 7x10, but I'm sure the extra 2 foot in a 6x12 would allow for some niceties like a tire rack & work bench up front, etc.

There's a lot of advantages to being self-contained in a van (park anywhere, no trailer to store, etc.), but after 7 years of vanning it I'd like to try a trailer (much easier to pack/unpack; leave all the spares, spare wheels, awning, generator, etc., in the trailer; drive to the races without getting stoned on race gas -- wait, is that a "pro" or a "con?") :eek:

Thanks for your feedback.

17. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

Actually, it's my understanding from talking to the trailer folks that all dual axle trailers and any trailers 7' wide or wider are required by DOT to have brakes.

18. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

From my limited understanding of aerodynamics and from talking to folks who know much more than me, my understanding is the V-Nose trailers don't make that much difference when towed behind a big SUV or a Van, as the tow vehcile punches a big enough hole in the air that the frontal area of the trailer isn't that significant. It does, apparently, make quite a difference with when towing with a pickup or a smaller/shorter SUV.

19. sv tinker

This is true unless you encounter perpendicular or cross winds common in the midwest and west. Some trailer manufacturers place the axles under the chassis raising ride height unnecessarily. Trailers with identical inside dimensions can vary up to six inches in height. Six additional inches in high winds can make a difference in stability which make the people who sell stability kits very happy.:)

20. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

My Expy has the smaller 4.6 but doesn't struggle. But then again, we don't have too many hills in the TX, LA, OK areas. Fuel economy tends to fall to about 12mph.