1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having electrical problems right before a track day. Need help!

Discussion in 'General' started by Blipstein, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Blipstein

Blipstein Member

Hey guys. I have a track only K5 750 and I'm having a problem with the electrical system. Right now when I click the starter it sounds like it's just shorting out and everything goes dead. It will not even power up at all until I disconnect the battery and let the ECU reset. Luckily I have a friend that is very knowledgeable and is assisting me. We are completely stumped. Also, my brother has the same exact bike (20th Anniversary addition) so we have a spare of every part to troubleshoot.

One thing to note is that we recently removed the left side turn signal cluster. We correctly spliced the two wires required in order for the bike to start without it. The bike started as normal after this modification. We have replaced this with the stock cluster and still had the same issues trying to start the bike.

We also have tested the ECU, starter relay and turn signal/sidestand relay. I have an aftermarket ignition cluster (right side) and I plugged in the stock cluster and still had the same issue. We have reset the ECU many times. The battery is in perfect condition. We also removed the Power Commander and still had the issue. Also there have been NO BLOWN FUSES. This just doesn’t make sense.

So when I turn the key everything looks and sounds totally normal. As soon as I touch the starter button....done! Tach/speedo lights go blank. No power to anything. Only way to get it back is to disconnect the battery. Seems like the ECU has a fail safe and cuts off the system to prevent damage. Again...no blown fuses. I'm totally convinced it's some kind of short. But who the fuck knows.

I am open to any suggestions at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am going to VIR Monday and Tuesday...at least that’s the plan. I am not a happy camper right now because I am so ready to ride. Thanks again

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Dead battery.

3. Blipstein

Blipstein Member

Battery is tested and perfect

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Measure the battery voltage at rest and then leave the meter connected and measure it when you turn the ignition on. If it drops below 12v, your battery is toast.

5. Blipstein

Blipstein Member

OK...will do....thanks

6. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

bad ground from battery? clean paint off where wire goes to frame and engine. i had similar issue, different model bike. cracked wire terminal under the insulation at the frame. good luck,
    tim

7. Been-Jammin

Been-Jammin Nomonyx dominicus

Yeah, a loose battery connection can allow the smaller amperage stuff to run and the battery will test OK. But as soon as you hit the starter drawing more amps, the connection will fail.

Hope this helps, good luck!

8. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Did you remove the ignition switch? If you did thats your problem.

9. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Tell your "assistant" to drink another Guinness then put another battery in and send you off to VIR already.:Poke:

Glad to hear you guys got it fixed!
    :up::up:

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You shorted the clutch switch? That will reduce your top end.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Oh and bad battery. :)