Ducati 996 Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Kawasaki, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Kawasaki

Kawasaki Well-Known Member

Looking at a '00 996 tomorrow. 4500 miles, $6500. Haven't seen it in person but looks very clean. Curious as to what people think about that price and if anyone knows of perculiarities or problems I should consider? I asked about 916's a while ago but wasn't sure if that applied.

Appreicate it.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

3. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

decent price... it's due for a valve adjustment in 1500 miles. given it's age, i'd probably plan on doing it immediately and changing the belts while you're at it.

4. Been-Jammin

Been-Jammin Nomonyx dominicus

+1 on the belts... a broken belt can put a valve into a piston on these bikes. :eek:

Sounds like a good deal, they are fun bikes. Good luck! :up:

BTW- it's not unusual for a 996 to go 40k or more and still be running strong.

The slave cylinders are a bit weak, but STM makes an excellent replacement.

5. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

The 916 all the way through to the 998 had flaking rockers that plagued a lot of those motors. If you catch the problem early before it wrecks cam lobes then you are ok. If it wrecks your cams then you are out thousands of $. I learned the hard way.

Ask about the service records on this bike and see if you can find out who did the service. If you can, go ask them about it.

You will also have the coolant reservoir crack and leak. It's just a matter of time, they all do it. And don't get them wet, just like a gremlin, you will have rediculous relay problems if the bike ever gets wet.

6. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

the bikes has 4500 miles on it.. i doubt it's ever been serviced.

7. Corsa

Corsa Desmo Thunder

Flaking rockers was for a short number of years around late 98-01 due to bad manufacturing and that affected most of the superbike range (748 and 996 only). Belts should be changed every 2 yrs but I have seen them go for a lot longer- but its not worth the risk. Price is good if there is no damage.

8. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

As said, get any service records and change the belts and have the rockers looked at if you pick it up. +1 to having a spare coolant resivoir. Other than that, it should be good for a while... I've got 28K on mine and still running strong.