1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atlanta people...

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Sep 21, 2009.

1. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

got a call today from Lawrenceville, said he needed to know how big a cubit was so he could build a boat to spec as the animals were pairing up:D

hope it slows down soon on you guys

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

looked at forecast on weather.com, and its showing sunny skies................. Monday :rolleyes:

3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

The sad thing is, this time last year Atl. was in a severe drought. Talk about feast or famine.

Good luck to those affected.

4. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

Even though some of Britt's real estate is running down the road past mine and we're both basically OK, I'm still reminded of my former neighbors on Mountain Creek in Buckhead. I lived on the hill above homes that I am certain are severely damaged across from my old house. When I was there it rained less than this and filled them with water at least twice.

It's worse than I've ever seen it in 16 years here.

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

6. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

It was just a matter of time....LOL!

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

8. breaux

breaux Well-Known Member

Being from New Orleans I know how crappy it is dealing with water of that magnitude. Just wanted to say hang tight you guys in Atlanta. Be safe and good luck......

9. Yeah pretty crazy trying to get home last night. I left the office at 5:10pm and arrived home at 7:20pm. I live 16miles from my office. I ended up having to go north on I-75 and take 20 into Canton. With I-575 shut down, all the side roads going that direction were jam packed with stopped traffic. I was concerned about Knox Bridge on 20 being washed out. At the time I went by the water from Allatoona was only 3' below the road. Lucky the water didn't appear to be flowing...but more like a giant mud puddle.
    This morning was more of the same...575 still closed, Canton HWY (5) still closed, Arnold Mill closed. I took Trickum Rd. all the way to Sandy Plaines Rd. Then Piedmont to Roswell Rd. Roswell Rd. to Cobb Pkwy. The good thing was there was very little traffic that took this route. I'm guessing either people were stuck in their normal routes, or possibly didn't have to work today due to the flooding.
    7 People have now lost their lives so far. They found a missing teen this morning who was swept away with his friend. They were trying to rescue someone in a car when the water flow was too much. The other one that made the news was a 2 yr old that was washed out of his fathers arms after their Mobile Home was washed away and slammed into some tree's. Sad day for sure! The bad thing is, unless you had Flood Insurance and it's been in effect for 30 days prior to this day...your not covered.:( However, if a tree falls into your house due to this, and rain water is coming in...then you should be covered.
    My house is not near any creeks (even though my road is named after a creek):D However, there are houses on my road that live down a hill. I haven't heard or seen any of them as it was dark when I left for work this morning. My main concern at this point is the large tree's I have in my back yard.
    I'm supposed to be leaving the office here in an hour or so to head to Elizabethtown, NC. to work at a customers.

So anyone out on 20 (Todd Clark)...is 20 open? I thought I heard last night that it was closed down near Conyers for a while. I'll be taking I-285 East to 20 and on out of GA. from there. Thanks for any heads up.:up:

There are a lot of homes damaged from this flood...so prayers and thoughts would be welcomed for those in need. A lot of people bought up bottled water, bleach, generators from the stores. Many stores were bought out of water. I hope those people were not hording water when their water at home is fine. There are a few counties that don't have water right now due to the flood...so those are the people in need of bottled water.

More rain in the forcast for tonight also...hopefully crews can get things cleaned up the best they can so that some of this water can start to recede. Like others mentioned...last year was a severe drought with our lakes turned to mud puddles. Then this happens. Everyone prayed for water, well that certainly was answered...just a little more then everyone expected at one time.;)

10. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Record time getting home last night and record time getting to work this morning.

11. Well this was not my record going home...remember the tornado that went through Holly Springs/Woodstock last year? Since all the roads were closed due to trees down around Toonigh Rd for which I live off of. That night it took me 3 hours to get home. Getting into work this morning was a breeze...no traffic on Trickum down to Sandy Plaines...nothing on Piedmont, and Roswell Rd had very little also. You might try to take that route home Paige. Not sure if they will have 575 open this afternoon or not. Be careful going home!;)

12. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

My record time was the fastest I have ever gotten home or to work. 20 minutes home and 30 minutes to work. It usually takes me 45 minutes each way. I don't ever take the highway.

13. Stavesacre

Stavesacre Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't realize it was that bad. Hopefully the rain will stop long enough for all the Atlanta folks to dry off.

14. ahh well record going home or to the office is 20mins each way by taking the highway. Note: This is only during the summer when school traffic is not in the equation. :D Depending on when I leave the office and what day of the week I stay late; can determine my trip home. For example: If I leave the office on a Friday say around 6:30pm...I can breeze home on the highway in 20min or so.

Normally I just use Hwy 5 from my road down to Sand Plaines and then to Allgood. Catch 41 from there and I'm down a couple of lights from there. Behind White Water. You drive a little further south on 75 then I do, but I live a little further north then you. So probably pretty close to the same distance.

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

4 hours to get home from work.. GA dot has it's head up it's ass redirecting traffic. They were just turning people around in circles off 575. I had to drive to Chattanooga from Atlanta to get to Ellijay grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I'm working from home today. With my commute from Blue Ridge to Tucker I wasn't going to chance it. Especialy with the baby due any day

17. the "TRAIN" Rech

the "TRAIN" Rech Well-Known Member

I got really lucky. I just missed all of it. Driving from Ellijay to Newnan, GA (2 hour trip) on Mon. (575S/75S/285S/85S), I lucked out because most of those roads later in the day were closed. I hope all of my other ATL friends are OK.

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

It's pretty bad for some people; I believe someone I know that lives in Cobb County has her home entirely under water right now. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone, not even Mat Mladin.

Here is a photo from the local paper to help you understand the scope of this event. That's a BP gas station.

[​IMG]