suspension questions for newbie

Discussion in 'General' started by rrich49132, Sep 20, 2009.

1. rrich49132

rrich49132 Well-Known Member

I have a few suspension questions so forgive me in advance for the ignorance as when it comes to suspension I am really clueless. I have a 2002 gsxr 750 that I just got and due to the mileage I am going to either get the front fork fluid changed and will either do some research and do it myself or just take them off and have a place do it.

I do know after research I will have to compress the springs and will need a tool so the likely hood of me buying the tool to do this is slim. Next when it comes to this I might as well get new springs and maybe cartridge but see that they have all kinds of sized and types. I know that Ohlins make a cartridge but their stuff is insane expensive. I have even looked over the used stuff and see some people have swapped out the entire forks for ohlins which can be as make as a few thousand which I can't see doing either.

Can someone tell me what is the best bang for the buck when it comes to front forks? Do I need to match the springs for my weight and what about the cartridge how much does these run?

Any insight would be appreciated. On another note I bought a 2004/2005 shock off of ebay and might get a new spring on it based on my weight? I am really cluess once again when it comes to suspension and just need some help here. There are all kinds of numbers I see when looking over forks and stuff and I have no clue what any of it means.

2. matd

matd This aint no party.

The only tools you should need is a seal-driver and maybe a fluid level tool (well worth it).

I would, for sure, respring to your weight. As far as valving, you don't need to go super expensive. Call some manufacturers. Talk to their techs. Some who have been very helpful to me are Brad Bailey @ Race Tech and John @ CTR Suspensions.

3. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

best bang for buck is to call thermosman and follow his advice. end of discussion..LOL

4. matd

matd This aint no party.

I've heard he is really good and loved the story as to how he got his name!

5. which was ?

6. 418

418 Expert #59

New fluid, springs for you weight. Maybe a revalve if you think it's needed. After that you're wasting your money. A full on cartridge and a proper shock will cost you more than what 1/2 the bike is worth. It's money you'll never get back.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

lol...just simply race prepping a bike puts money into you'll never get back.