1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBR1000 how good are the pre-08 bikes??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stephenwclark, Aug 22, 2009.

1. stephenwclark

stephenwclark Well-Known Member

I am looking for any feedback racers have on the 04-07 CBR1000's. I have been racing a 929 and just sold it. I would like to get another Honda but dont have the funds for a 08 model. How do you guys with experience on the 04-07 model rate this bike? How does it compare to 05+ GSXR's? I really like the reliability and quality of the Honda but dont really want to buy another turd.

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

just save up and get the 08-09, the 04-07 were great bikes - but not the greatest race machinery. yamahas and suzukis were better as far as race machinery 04-07

3. stephenwclark

Not really what I wanted to hear but thanks anyway. Thankfully I havent bought anything yet.

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

well...there are tons of parts out there for them...people overseas win tons with them (ten kate)
    a friend who owns one describes it an 8 across the board...does nothing better than any one bike..but does nothing worse either.
    I know that the 06-07 ones are a bit better. and they are supposed to be more reliable than the 08s from what I have heard
    I know a few who have some modded superbike ones.
    go to www.hardchargerracing.net to see some really nice ones.

5. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

toseland won world superbike in 07 i believe on the 06-07. it's def. better than the 04-05 which was basically a tank.

6. khill

khill Well-Known Member

06-07, good bike.

7. stephenwclark

Thanks guys. All helpful information.

8. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

the 04 and 05 are the same model and where the first gen for the 1000RR...they had some issues and weren't that competitive vs the R1 and Gsxr.

the Machine got a complete overhaul and upgrade for the 06 and 07 model...which again are the same as each other. They put out more power and got a reduction on wait in comparison to the model before it

If you do some research most magizines that did the shoot outs for the 06 model you will see that the 1000RR actually ranked higher than the R1 of that same year and was actually quite compareable in power and handling with the Gsxr.

08-09 got overhauled again and upgraded so they also got more power and less weight this time around. Also they switch some of the handling charateristics on it as well.

I think the 06 and 07 1000RR are the best so far....Personally i don't like the styling and stubby exhausts they put on the 08's...I prefer the undertail exhaust of the 06's....If ya crash your not gonna bust up and undertail exhaust...so I imagine crashing is cheaper on the 06.

I personally own an 06 1000RR and did a track day at Beaver Run on it this summer and thought it was a bad ass machine for the track!

PS: I am also selling the forementioned 06 1000RR if you are interested...KBB valued at $7600 but I'm trying to price it to sell at $6600....Let me know if your interested. I'll be heading to Indy for the GP round this friday.

9. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

2nd year of racing an 07. Been dead reliable. All the issues have been me and not spending money to make the bike faster. Even still have the stock damper on it. But if I could do it all over again, I would go with the 08. Or buy Vosnick's monster Suzuki. He's got it for $8500.

10. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Unless you're at the sharp end of the stick, it's more about the rider than the bike. My 05 isn't limiting me any that's for certain. I (the rider) am the limiting factor currently.

11. stephenwclark

Thanks everyone for all the information. I am going to hold off on any major bike purchases until I can afford an 08 or newer model.

12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I raced an '04. I worked and worked and worked to get it to handle right. I was at the GMD tent every weekend. LOL The problem for me was all about the "flickability". On flowing tracks like Roebling I did great with it. On tracks like VIR and Barber where whipping it back and forth mattered, not so good. The bike had a perfect and smooth power band. What you gave up down the straight you made up for with corner exit. It was PLANTED in the turns. But, picking it up out of the turn felt like I was deadlifting 200lbs. It fell into turns wonderfully (after mucho front end work), but chicanes were the death of me!!!!